41 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Pandora_Black says

Some of the themes on TF went from $45, 50, 55 and now $58? Virtumart themes that were $50 just a few weeks ago are now on the upwards of $55 and $58. I understand how this may help authors in some ways but it also hurts them when buyers will not purchase as many downloads.

Envato should re-think their pricing strategies and cap it at a certain point or consider offering a buy one, get half off another item across the marketplace. I realize the margin is a bit bigger for the authors/sellers at the point they get more which I think is wonderful however they may not make as many sales on the same item. I also realize that it’s all about design, ease of use, customer support and that is what makes a good author. A product has to be good enough to buyers and not give the appearance of the “cookie cutter” effect. So what do you all think?

745 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Gareth_Gillman says

Some of the themes on TF went from $45, 50, 55 and now $58? Virtumart themes that were $50 just a few weeks ago are now on the upwards of $55 and $58. I understand how this may help authors in some ways but it also hurts them when buyers will not purchase as many downloads. Envato should re-think their pricing strategies and cap it at a certain point or consider offering a buy one, get half off another item across the marketplace. I realize the margin is a bit bigger for the authors/sellers at the point they get more which I think is wonderful however they may not make as many sales on the same item. I also realize that it’s all about design, ease of use, customer support and that is what makes a good author. A product has to be good enough to buyers and not give the appearance of the “cookie cutter” effect. So what do you all think?

There is a thread on the price increase already (link so this may get locked but my pov as a buyer is, the themes are too cheap, I would happily pay more because the quality is better than most other marketplaces with unlimited support (depends on author but most authors will help you as much as they can). $60 is peanuts for something which I would charge $2000+ to develop is asked by a client.

316 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

Actually a $60 theme would realistically cost in the $10-15k range if asked to be built by client.

41 posts
Pandora_Black says

TY all for the good feedback. As a designer I know what my rate is and I only was looking at this as a small increase here and there but in such short time. Kinda like nickle and dimming it rather than set a standard increase per like 3 months, 6 months or once per year at a set rate. There is so many designers in the NY area and we all have to grab the same market.

Thank you for shedding your opinions on this :)

1823 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Lol, complaining about a $5 increase. Seriously? I think you’re choosing the wrong clients or you’re in the wrong market, no offense. In NY probably the hourly rate for an average programmer is above $50 and you’re getting a full theme for these money. There are agencies that are paid $5k+ for projects based on ThemeForest themes and some buyers complain about $2 or $5 price increases. This is a joke.

4710 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Lol, complaining about a $5 increase. Seriously? I think you’re choosing the wrong clients or you’re in the wrong market, no offense. In NY probably the hourly rate for an average programmer is above $50 and you’re getting a full theme for these money. There are agencies that are paid $5k+ for projects based on ThemeForest themes and some buyers complain about $2 or $5 price increases. This is a joke.

You’re comparing two different types of income though… hourly rate vs selling microstock – two different concepts. Pandora_Black makes a point, it’s about being competitively priced on the market you’re selling on. So no, an increase doesn’t necessarily mean more in turnover. Envato should do scheduled price checks and adjustments in each category to make sure there is more balance on the marketplace, instead of just incrementally changing prices across the whole market which can create pricing inconsistencies in particular categories, as OP points out.

41 posts
Pandora_Black says

Thank you Digital Science you stated it best of how I was trying to get my point across without getting so much negative feedback. I see the other posters points but you got it right! A $2- 3 dollar increase is not, I repeat, not much money however it shows being instability in a market that fluxuates.

I have a huge variety of clients who in some instances know about TF and they see the price of a theme, however they can buy the theme but do not know how to install a database and set it up. They call me to do that and there is not much room for profit on that matter so I try and balance my sale to the client by introducing to them a new logo concept or installation of a blog, forum or shop cart etc.

Then I have clients who want a complete design from the ground up and here in NY you have to submit bids against other competitors in order to get the clients. This is when strategy comes into play and I know what my competitors pricing is so I usually come in at a good and fair price to win the bid.

I recently completed a radio stations website and pod stream and I had to bid against 12 other competitors. I had to list in my proposal where the theme was to come from, the software that will be used, and which type of audio program will be used along with setup and training & support.

It paid off huge for me but took 2 months and they are extremely happy and just recommended me to another client. I calculate everything in a proposal and seeing TF marketplace change prices so often these days makes you wonder how it will be down the road.

2206 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+5 more
Nitro_Themes says

@Pandora

I am from Canada and i charge minimum 60 dollars per hour. The big thing is that if someone does not like my prices they can always go somewhere else for a cheaper price. I would not lower my prices because that is my standard and it would not worth it for me to do it any cheaper.

Themes here are still cheap some market places sell wp, woocommerce themes from 140-200 dollars and no support or installation or a decent help manual. Unfortunately i tried those places before and they were garbage in any aspect. I would not buy from anywhere else other than TF because as a buyer i know the stuff is top notch.

I hope you make lots of cash using TF themes cus this is what drives this marketplace.

Cheers

Lester

41 posts
Pandora_Black says

Thank you all for your feedback. it’s nice to see how many may agree or disagree on discussions and that is what makes this all great!

by
by
by
by
by
by