• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
emfeha says

Hi all,

I got an email to start a thread, so I’m doing that. The theme was rejected for several reasons, due to “high standards”. Personally I think that I saw couple themes that are not up to these standards, but are approved… But I’ll let reviewer’s look at that.

These are the reasons for rejections:

1) The background is very distracting and does not work well with the way the content is displayed.

3) Overall aesthetics will need improvements before being resubmitted.

And from second email:

I did not see the additional background images. If our review of the primary design does not meet our criteria, we do not continue the review. Unfortunately your primary design did not meet our criteria. You might consider using another of your designs as the primary.

2) The Blog, Twitter and Flicker elements at the bottom of the template need some padding adjustments.

This theme has five skins in it with different backgrounds and colors. Also there are 3 typo style sheets. Please tell me which one should I use as default.

Link to demo: modular

Screen shots of different skins: clear modern retro sharp

Thanks

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says

Ok I’ll say something…

1) The background is very distracting and does not work well with the way the content is displayed.

I could agree with this. Maybe turn alpha down a bit or just remove the pattern or something…

3) Overall aesthetics will need improvements before being resubmitted.

Agree also, but just some fine tuning, nothing more. Example…featured project description, links, overall spacing etc..

2) The Blog, Twitter and Flicker elements at the bottom of the template need some padding adjustments.

Agree 100%. More padding.

This theme has five skins in it with different backgrounds and colors. Also there are 3 typo style sheets. Please tell me which one should I use as default.

Personally I don’t like any of those bg’s, seems to me like they don’t fit at all to overall design. Maybe try to make one bg, but good one, and dump others.

I hope this helps.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Your other skins have backgrounds that work much better with the content than the primary skin. I think it’s fine if you still use that skin but just not as the primary one.

The padding/spacing is pretty self explanatory, it just needs some refinements for a few of the skins.

I hope this helps. :)

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I agree with the padding and I’m not a fan of those type’s of carbon fiber backgrounds but the reviewers personal preference is judging the design. I do agree with Segan that you should lower the alpha. Flashden has a carbon fiber background on a site template that is the top seller. It is a bit easier to read on but the point is people like them!

Personally I think that I saw couple themes that are not up to these standards, but are approved.
I agree 100% and this is my biggest complaint about themeforest. I know Jeff is working on solutions to this but it has been broken for so long. Either accept everything (which I don’t want to see) or get a system that works.
2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

The “system” will always technically have a flaw. That flaw is opinion. Everyone has an opinion and not everyone will be happy about every template accepted/rejected. ThemeForest still has a lot of developing to do as it is still such a new marketplace but even a few years from now when it’s huge, it will probably still be based on the same flaw for accepted/rejected templates. Design can be quite heavily based on opinion.

As Jeffrey has said in a few other threads, templates have slipped through the cracks and it can take some time for reviewers to really get the hang of things. It’s not as simple/easy as you might think. Just try to be patient and work with us to improve the system and the community. :-)

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

emfeha has done some really nice templates and his sales show it. We see lots of people talking about there files being denied and I agree with almost all of them but when a top selling authors design doesn’t meet the reviewers taste then it’s very important to call that out. I never said that it was easy but I deal with critique everyday at work as a front-end developer…when I don’t perform well I can’t just say “now hold on…you need to be patient with me”.
xmdsys – Please understand that I wasn’t calling you out when I said the review system is broken. I think the HTML section runs pretty smoothly, of course a few exceptions, but there is a lack of consistency in another section. When an author makes a post asking for comments I am going to give my honest opinion even if that steps on toes.

30 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Won a Competition
emfeha says

Hi guys, thanks for comments! Really appreciate them. Will try to fix this stuff, and maybe upload again.

30 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Won a Competition
emfeha says

One question, I have just came to one theme that was recently approved, that has similar background to one in my template. It looks more distracting (thats my opinion) and this doesn’t make any sense to me… I don’t want to post link to that theme here, but would like some reviewer to compare them if possible.

Thanks

by
by
by
by
by
by