1032 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+10 more
Parallelus says

I still love the idea of having a place on user profiles showing “Average rating given: 1.5 stars”

Wouldn’t it have an enormous impact on the value of their comments? If I saw a really negative post from someone who gives an average rating of 4 stars it will have a lot more weight than coming from a person who gives an average rating of 1.5 stars. I’m sure this exists in places like Ebay or Amazon. I never really pay attention to things like that. I do a lot of research before I buy something and if it sucks when I get it I blame myself, or my wife. ;)

4602 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Since files on themeforest that are approved are at a high standard, I think there should be a 3 tier rating system 1) Good 2) Great 3) Excellent (or something like this)....... 1 star ratings regardless if deserved or not, just doesn’t look good on site that claims all files are of high standard, we all know the rating system is a little flawed, so why not make it so it’s always a win-win for authors, but still give buyers an idea of the quality of the file.

1589 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

We have new site rules coming in that will be the first step in addressing this. From there we’ll be tweaking and adding to the rating system so we can prevent “bad” rating behavior.

The “bad” rating behavior definitely needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, something as simple as having to supply a reason would suffice although that would need to be moderated/reviewed by envato employees I would assume — not sure how that would work out. However I hope we don’t have to wait a couple years for this…like everything else.

I would venture to guess most 1 star ratings come from buyers who either were denied “free” customizations or got frustrated due to lack of basic WordPress knowledge on setup and operation.

223 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
MAGAZINEstudio says

+1 The rating system is very bad and make most author sick :(

This is a serious problem. I really hope Evanto immediately fix the rating system.

I agree with “Digitalscience” (+1).

182 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
GraphiTivity says

When i want to buy something I search and when i see some 5 stars ratings i just buy it without checking other products that has no rating.

278 posts mekshq.com
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+5 more
meks says

Since files on themeforest that are approved are at a high standard, I think there should be a 3 tier rating system 1) Good 2) Great 3) Excellent (or something like this)....... 1 star ratings regardless if deserved or not, just doesn’t look good on site that claims all files are of high standard, we all know the rating system is a little flawed, so why not make it so it’s always a win-win for authors, but still give buyers an idea of the quality of the file.

Agree! What does 1 star rating mean at all? To some random visitor/buyer it will probably mean that this specific theme sucks and that’s the problem…

428 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Jaynesh says

These are the legit reasons why a theme should be rated 1 star:

• Theme doesn’t work
  • Theme has many bugs

A buyer rating the theme for any other reason (free customizations, lack of experience etc) is irrelevant as it doesn’t truly reflect the theme itself. We can only assume they are rating for the legit reasons above. So imagine this scenario:

1. Buyer purchases theme
  2. Theme has many bugs
  3. Buyer rates theme 1 star due to bugs.
  4. Author fixes bugs
  5. Bugs have been fixed. 1 star rating no longer reflects the theme.

The solution is simple

Expire 1,2,3 star ratings after updates to reflect the current version.
185 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+3 more
visualkicks says

We should really see who rates our items, it should be all public like on most of online shops, nobody asks you to leave a rating, if you leave it, why shouldn’t it show up somewhere?

I wholeheartedly agree! The only problem is people will just create multiple accounts, buy an item, rate it one star then never use that account again. Although the harder we make it for them the better.

I’ve probably bought around 6-8 Wordpress themes from other authors and the first thing I do is rate it 5 stars before I even download it haha. I almooooost gave a 4 star rating once but i felt bad only because as an author I know how hard these people work on their items. It’s a shame people resort to practises like this.

At the end of the day, we’re all in competition of each other as business owners. You can’t expect everyone to play fair. But, that doesn’t mean they should go unpunished.

Any way, looking forward to the ratings update.

185 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+3 more
visualkicks says

I do a lot of research before I buy something and if it sucks when I get it I blame myself, or my wife. ;)

bahaha – good one ;)

89 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+7 more
MVPThemes says

I still love the idea of having a place on user profiles showing “Average rating given: 1.5 stars”

This has always been my solution. It would not only show potential buyers that the person giving the 1-star rating isn’t credible, but it would also show Envato who the folks are that are strictly buying themes to give poor ratings.

No one legitimately buys themes in the hopes of using them and then continually gives poor ratings because they continue to download bad themes. What’s going on is that authors are buying the themes of competitors and giving them poor ratings, and that is evidenced by FinalDestiny’s original post. I have also noticed multiple 1-star ratings when my items have first gone up for sale and I haven’t heard a peep from customers having unresolved issues or being upset in general.

This is a serious issue in my book and really needs to be resolved ASAP as it shows that we have some serious dishonesty among our peers. It’s bad enough that we have to deal with idiots from the outside giving away files for free, but I don’t expect to have issues internally within our Envato community.

by
by
by
by
by
by