142 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Flash-Bob says

You are right Carmen. I developed my writing skills by practice. By posting to forums, answering e-mails of my clients. Reading blogs and tutorials. But as I can not find any one to speak with me in English, so I could not develop my spoken English.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Carmen says
Flash-Bob said
You are right Carmen. I developed my writing skills by practice. By posting to forums, answering e-mails of my clients. Reading blogs and tutorials. But as I can not find any one to speak with me in English, so I could not develop my spoken English.

Perhaps you can practice singing the lyrics of your favorite English songs, or reading aloud from books. Audio books are a great way of learning languages, practice reading along with the narrator.

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
christopherjon says
should be “Any advice for improving the English?”

You mean,

Any advice for improving English?

or

Any advice for improving my English?

It’s not German, you don’t need to include the like you would add der, die, das.

And if you want to get it grammatically correct, any is the wrong choice as well.

Seeking advice to improve my English

But whatever, the OP’s English is a million times better than my German.

Advice,

Watch movies and take advantage of any opportunity to speak English with others. Practice makes perfect. Carmen has some good ideas.

1141 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
KarmaThemes says
Carmen said
Perhaps you can practice singing the lyrics of your favorite English songs, or reading aloud from books. Audio books are a great way of learning languages, practice reading along with the narrator.

That’s how I improved my English a lot when I was about 7 or 9. I listened to my favorite music (the lyrics of rap music go beyond the scope of school-English I guess, haha), wrote down what I heard because I wanted to sing along… you can imagine the mess. But that’s how I got used to the natural flow of the language.

Good luck and have fun :)

2086 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

I got to understand English by watching cartoons on Cartoon Network when I was 7 :D

But the best way to improve English, as others said, is to practice. Watching movies with(out) English subtitles, reading in English (not necessarily books, but also the stuff on the Internet, articles, tutorials, etc.), writing in forums… Although I am quite good with spelling, I still use spell-check in Firefox to further improve… As they say – learning process never ends ;)

335 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
tiam says

For the moment I am trying to learn italian. So every day when working I have this learning program mp3 where they speak and say words. Since I used to listen to music when working I thought what the heck I might as well learn something. Since I can’t concentrate fully on the mp3 I pick up just a few words every day but if I do this a lot I will finally end up knowing a lot of words :)

730 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • China
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
wangruyi says

I read all advices in there. thanks. My english is bad, I am learning…..

460 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Russian Federation
+1 more
white-shade says
wangruyi said
My english is bad
But your Platinum Pow is good :) I also think that my English is very bad. Always feel disappointed that I can not succinctly and beautifully express my thoughts in English (( I need to learn
104 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
roodper says

I was thinking to learn chinese Mandarin too ? any advice for me ? :D

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

You want to improve your British or American? I love the second option better (though I sometimes mix both) and I am constantly trying to improve myself.

At school I learned about 40% of what I know. The rest was: watching a lot of “The Simpsons”, “Married With Children…”, “Seinfeld” and watching everything that’s in English, without the subtitles. As for the business English reading web design blogs (and even this forum) helps a lot. Having a job where I was constantly practicing talking in BE was also a big helper.

When you feel advanced enough, try not to translate English into your native language – they are both meta languages for each other – you can try to transfer the meaning, but you will never get the real spirit of the language if you always explain it to yourself with your native language. You need to start off like a baby – they don’t translate what they hear into their language, they just try to understand and apply.

Thanks to practicing this theory of mine, now I often find myself thinking in English. Once you are at that point, it is much easier to go to the next level.

I am not sure if that helped you at all – but have fun!

P.S. TED .com is a great place to listen and understand – because they have a large diversity of topics. They also have guest speakers from different countries and understanding them is often a real challenge. :D

christopherjon said

And if you want to get it grammatically correct, any is the wrong choice as well.
Seeking advice to improve my English

I didn’t thought of that at all – could you explain a bit more?
by
by
by
by
by
by