3435 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I know this has been discussed in the forum several times over the past year, and I was under the impression that something was in the works, so I was wondering if there was a status update.

I receive 5 or 6 requests a month from buyers who want to be able to use my plugins on multiple sites, some in high volumes. When I explain that they must purchase an individual regular license for each site, this is often unfeasible for them. For example, I recently had a customer who would like to use one of my products on almost 500 separate sites; beyond the obvious financial considerations, they were greatly discouraged by the fact they’d need to buy each license one-by-one (a huge inefficiency).

Most of these customers offer to strike up a deal with me directly. Of course, I always have to decline these proposals due to my exclusivity agreement here (which tends to frustrate them). I have no desire to work outside the Envato system; but I wish the system would accommodate this scenario.

The long and the short of it is that I feel I’m losing substantial business over time, as customers either opt to seek other solutions or simply abuse the licensing terms for lack of a better option.

I think that either a developers’ license or a tiered volume-based discount approach would really help out customers and authors alike. Even just being able to buy multiple licenses at once (without a discount) would be a step in the right direction. Another option would just be to make the process manual in these cases – allow the customer, staff, and author to sit down and negotiate a deal on a case-by-case basis (“Contact us for volume pricing”).

I’d love to know if this is currently in the pipeline and if there’s an expected date when it will be available.

I completely understand that there are other tasks in the development queue with deservedly higher priority, and I don’t question that the devs are hard at work on important tasks.

Just wondering if there is a plan in place to solve this issue :) I believe there would be a lot of support for this from both the buyers and authors in the community.

Thanks to the devs and staff for all their hard work making this marketplace great!

Best,

Chris

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Hey Chris,

Fair points, thanks for letting us know about this and why it’s an issue. I’m not sure of the details or if progress has been made in this regard, but I’ll followup with some of the marketplace team today and see if I can get them to reply :)

3435 posts
+10 more

Thanks for the response, Drew! :)

366 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says
sevenspark said
I receive 5 or 6 requests a month from buyers who want to be able to use my plugins on multiple sites, some in high volumes. When I explain that they must purchase an individual regular license for each site, this is often unfeasible for them. For example, I recently had a customer who would like to use one of my products on almost 500 separate sites; beyond the obvious financial considerations, they were greatly discouraged by the fact they’d need to buy each license one-by-one (a huge inefficiency).

We definitely receive the same number of requests if not more. And we have customers buying the Extended License because they think its a developer license and they are bummed when they discover that its not.

It has also been suggested to add a discount for volume buy. The top selling WordPress plugin on codecanyon, who is no longer being sold on codecanyon now offers a personal license (1 site), business license (3 sites) or developer (10 sites).

And the price ratio is 1, 2 and 5. I think these guys definitely got their pricing right.

Great that we get a new updated look on the settings page, but if it ain’t broken then don’t fix it. :D

Right now we need new features as we are suffering because we lack them. ;)

Besides that keep up the great work!

2541 posts
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Update – Some of the team are meeting sometime next week to discuss more about licenses and where we can improve. These things usually take time, but I’m emailing the necessary staff this link so they can be sure to keep the issues you brought up in mind :)

3435 posts
+10 more
CreatingDrew said
Update – Some of the team are meeting sometime next week to discuss more about licenses and where we can improve. These things usually take time, but I’m emailing the necessary staff this link so they can be sure to keep the issues you brought up in mind :)

Great, thanks for your attention to this, Drew! If it is possible to provide us a status update after that meeting, that’d be really fantastic. I totally understand that it’ll take some time, but even just being able to tell customers “they’re working on it” I think would be an improvement :)

Thanks!

366 posts
+9 more
RightHere says

Thank you very much for following up on this! Rome wasn’t build in one day, but it would be nice to hear if there is any progress. :)

2541 posts
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Hey guys,

No problem, happy to help. I passed it along to Collis and the rest of the guys that are having a meeting on it. I’ll do everything I can to squeeze out some information if anything comes from the meeting and update you guys :)

594 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
designcise says

how about selling mass licenses with percentage based discount? because if buyers are going to use it on many sites (like sevenspark said, a client wanted to use it on 500 different sites) then the developer needs to get a fair share as well ..

so what if there was a textbox where the buyer could specify say he wanted to buy 30 licenses and he receives say, 20% discount on the total amount or something .. won’t that be more just?

366 posts
+9 more
RightHere says

Did anything slip out from this meeting ?

by
by
by
by
by
by