• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
adintermedia says
What I didn’t mention is that I am booking tickets to travel to Thailand in October. I’m going to be travelling round the east for a while and I want to work on the go.

Hey! I had kind of the same situation about 3 months ago when I decided to travel to Australia for 2 and a half months. I only took my mac book pro 13” with me and in the beginning it was quite hard to get used to (coming from dual monitor setup with one being 27” iMac :D) but after a certain time it starts being easier. I mostly do motion design which is quite challenging for the machine but still I was able to finish some smaller client projects on the mac book pro while being abroad. The only thing that really is a pain is working with multiple windows as you can’t spread them out but apart from that it’s a very good solution for traveling and probably even for working if you do web design and graphic design. Hope that helps :)

1603 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+8 more
PatrikL Reviewer says

@patrik: are you serious? 13” for design work? I guess that is because you are mostly into web element/interface design for which a 13” would work fine. Adam is a flyer hero so he would need bigger real estate to design.

There you are mistaking, I’m doing lot’s more than UI work on my MacBook Pro (websites, print works, writing, book covers). Another thing to consider is that my eyesight is real bad, but the screen and resolution on the 13” is more than enough to give me eagle eyes and to be able to sit at a normal distance (of course I use glasses but I still see great without them at this distance).

13” ain’t that small really, it’s in fact bigger than one might think. In fact, I find it easier to work on a 13” as I get to focus on the part I focus on. Besides, as I work with tiny pixels I often work zoomed in on the part I’m polishing to get it just right.

2960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
TNL3542 says

sorry but i think bigger is better just wanted to give my little 2cents :) good luck on finding what your looking for

1104 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+9 more
3alisha says

I currently use a 15” MacbookPro.

I am looking into getting a 13” model with higher specs RAM /CPU etc, but I’m a little unsure of using a smaller screen.

I want the extra portability of having a smaller laptop. Does having a 2” smaller screen really make a difference when it comes to designing stuff?

Anybody got experience going from 15” ›› 13”?

Man, in your case, i’d get any laptop i’d like. Get an ultrabook ! They are extremely portable and perform really well. As for screen size, why not extend to a 2nd screen ? or it’s not an option ?

I connect my lappie to a monitor, and little do i care about its screen size. Go for a machine that you’d like and that’d keep you inspired !

my2cents

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

All my themes have been created and designed on an 11inch screen.

Now i know why you like fullscreen images so far. :D

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Hey everyone, thanks for all your valuable opinions and input!

I think maybe I am being a bit obsessive about not wanting to go smaller, but as @ramijames said, the 15” can be a problem lugging around.

I guess if I buy a 13” a month or so before i go (Apple hopefully brought out an update by then) I can spend some time getting use to it. If it sucks, Ebay it :)

Now the next debate, sacrifice the extra power of an MBP and go even smaller and thinner with an Air? Hmmmmmm :nerdy:

963 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

This thread is great! I’m in almost the same position as quickandeasy

I’m moving soon from Poland to Kiev (Ukraine) for 3 month, and then from January 2012 for half a year to Bogota(!) and I need to buy something (but I’m not Apple fan – I’ve got other choices – Lenovo w520 (powerfull 15’ ) or x220 (powerfull 12’)). I don’t need so much portability, but still I don’t know what to choose..

1091 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
lifwanian says

All my themes have been created and designed on an 11inch screen.

Wow. Props to you sir.

268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
beetlesales says

So, you want to downgrade 2 inches because your 15’’ laptop is too “big?” LMFAO ! OP is a level..

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

So, you want to downgrade 2 inches because your 15’’ laptop is too “big?” LMFAO ! OP is a level..

No, I am curious to know about anyone’s experience going from a 15” to a 13” and how they found it from a designing / working perspective.

The reason I am looking to ‘downgrade’ (to a higher spec, but smaller screen) is the smaller laptop will be easier to travel the East with, but you knew that, because you read the thread first :sarcasm:

by
by
by
by
by
by