175 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
adintermedia says
What I didn’t mention is that I am booking tickets to travel to Thailand in October. I’m going to be travelling round the east for a while and I want to work on the go.

Hey! I had kind of the same situation about 3 months ago when I decided to travel to Australia for 2 and a half months. I only took my mac book pro 13” with me and in the beginning it was quite hard to get used to (coming from dual monitor setup with one being 27” iMac :D) but after a certain time it starts being easier. I mostly do motion design which is quite challenging for the machine but still I was able to finish some smaller client projects on the mac book pro while being abroad. The only thing that really is a pain is working with multiple windows as you can’t spread them out but apart from that it’s a very good solution for traveling and probably even for working if you do web design and graphic design. Hope that helps :)

1618 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says

@patrik: are you serious? 13” for design work? I guess that is because you are mostly into web element/interface design for which a 13” would work fine. Adam is a flyer hero so he would need bigger real estate to design.

There you are mistaking, I’m doing lot’s more than UI work on my MacBook Pro (websites, print works, writing, book covers). Another thing to consider is that my eyesight is real bad, but the screen and resolution on the 13” is more than enough to give me eagle eyes and to be able to sit at a normal distance (of course I use glasses but I still see great without them at this distance).

13” ain’t that small really, it’s in fact bigger than one might think. In fact, I find it easier to work on a 13” as I get to focus on the part I focus on. Besides, as I work with tiny pixels I often work zoomed in on the part I’m polishing to get it just right.

3009 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
TNL3542 says

sorry but i think bigger is better just wanted to give my little 2cents :) good luck on finding what your looking for

1111 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
3alisha says

I currently use a 15” MacbookPro.

I am looking into getting a 13” model with higher specs RAM /CPU etc, but I’m a little unsure of using a smaller screen.

I want the extra portability of having a smaller laptop. Does having a 2” smaller screen really make a difference when it comes to designing stuff?

Anybody got experience going from 15” ›› 13”?

Man, in your case, i’d get any laptop i’d like. Get an ultrabook ! They are extremely portable and perform really well. As for screen size, why not extend to a 2nd screen ? or it’s not an option ?

I connect my lappie to a monitor, and little do i care about its screen size. Go for a machine that you’d like and that’d keep you inspired !

my2cents

3748 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

All my themes have been created and designed on an 11inch screen.

Now i know why you like fullscreen images so far. :D

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+9 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Hey everyone, thanks for all your valuable opinions and input!

I think maybe I am being a bit obsessive about not wanting to go smaller, but as @ramijames said, the 15” can be a problem lugging around.

I guess if I buy a 13” a month or so before i go (Apple hopefully brought out an update by then) I can spend some time getting use to it. If it sucks, Ebay it :)

Now the next debate, sacrifice the extra power of an MBP and go even smaller and thinner with an Air? Hmmmmmm :nerdy:

993 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
purethemes says

This thread is great! I’m in almost the same position as quickandeasy

I’m moving soon from Poland to Kiev (Ukraine) for 3 month, and then from January 2012 for half a year to Bogota(!) and I need to buy something (but I’m not Apple fan – I’ve got other choices – Lenovo w520 (powerfull 15’ ) or x220 (powerfull 12’)). I don’t need so much portability, but still I don’t know what to choose..

1093 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+5 more
lifwanian says

All my themes have been created and designed on an 11inch screen.

Wow. Props to you sir.

268 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+1 more
beetlesales says

So, you want to downgrade 2 inches because your 15’’ laptop is too “big?” LMFAO ! OP is a level..

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+9 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

So, you want to downgrade 2 inches because your 15’’ laptop is too “big?” LMFAO ! OP is a level..

No, I am curious to know about anyone’s experience going from a 15” to a 13” and how they found it from a designing / working perspective.

The reason I am looking to ‘downgrade’ (to a higher spec, but smaller screen) is the smaller laptop will be easier to travel the East with, but you knew that, because you read the thread first :sarcasm:

by
by
by
by
by
by