412 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
patrickjansen
says
There is no Asian market for software industry ;)

Funny you say that, several years ago I had elaborate talks with a software distritbutor / card processor about the asian market, and indeed it got clear to me that in plain english “they tend to buy software in the local stores in boxed versions”

Still it’s a big population in which it would be nice to get a foothold, but close to impossible without a large company behind your product(s)

2486 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
LucidStudios
says

Funny you say that, several years ago I had elaborate talks with a software distritbutor / card processor about the asian market, and indeed it got clear to me that in plain english “they tend to buy software in the local stores in boxed versions”

Still it’s a big population in which it would be nice to get a foothold, but close to impossible without a large company behind your product(s)

The thing is that Asia is not developed like USA or Europe where even a small shop owner need a website/mobile-app but in Asia even large businesses are not willing to have a website for their online presence so I don’t think they will be willing to have a mobile phone app. And when they do they ask their nephew/niece to do their website.

Asia has more software engineers than any other continent but all of them are dependent on USA and European markets.

8575 posts Community Moderator
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Won a competition
+10 more
MSFX
says

I’m always surprised when people say Objective-C is a horrible language. I quite enjoy writing it, and it’s certainly one of the more readable compiled languages. What is it that you find horrible about it?
It is indeed a horrible language because of it’s unusual syntax and memory management.

+1

its syntax just seems backwards, I just don’t get on with it :(

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+4 more
tsafi
says

^ I fresh my Objective memory a year ago due to cs5 before I know someone screw me. But really man, i think now you will understand what the deference when fallowing a new trend buzz IPhone/iPod/ipad on a worldwide buzz, and translate it in to money as a freelancer. Not that i doubt you for 1 sec but i know where you are locate also ,that particular market have 1 major direction in sells and that’s the US ,locally you will struggle. I’ll bet or shift my resource to the Asian market and focuses on the Android ,already number 1 app/OS in all Asian and left the IPhone far far away .the only problem there those Japanese` code AS3 like they talk :P
I was taking in the aspect of developing like freelancer some crazy developer you can find in the Asian market like AS3 masters and the number 1 app/OS in sells for mobile in the Asian market is Android platform
3402 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
+7 more
vuzum
says

^ I fresh my Objective memory a year ago due to cs5 before I know someone screw me. But really man, i think now you will understand what the deference when fallowing a new trend buzz IPhone/iPod/ipad on a worldwide buzz, and translate it in to money as a freelancer. Not that i doubt you for 1 sec but i know where you are locate also ,that particular market have 1 major direction in sells and that’s the US ,locally you will struggle. I’ll bet or shift my resource to the Asian market and focuses on the Android ,already number 1 app/OS in all Asian and left the IPhone far far away .the only problem there those Japanese` code AS3 like they talk :P
I’m not learning for the local market. We work 99% with US and EU customers. :)
EU is a local market when it come to Objective :P

:) i hope not.

3402 posts
+7 more
vuzum
says

@bobocel, are you also doing any Android development? I just picked up an HTC EVO and I have started with the Flash Builder Burrito preview release to get my feet wet. It is very cool but I’d really like to know how a Flex-created Android app compares to a native app. I’m concerned that, with the limited processors and memory on smart phones, native may be a requirement. any thoughts on the Android side of things? For now, I’ve decided to ignore iOS.

No Android development yet. For I don’t know what reasons, I’m not attracted by it at all. I’ve had a chance to play with a few devices, and they seem.. not completed.

3402 posts
+7 more
vuzum
says

I’m always surprised when people say Objective-C is a horrible language. I quite enjoy writing it, and it’s certainly one of the more readable compiled languages. What is it that you find horrible about it?
It is indeed a horrible language because of it’s unusual syntax and memory management.

+1

One of the many reasons actually. I don’t say I ain’t gonna use it, but it’s such a pain in the bootie to learn it. And I have my CS degree and many years of experience under my belt.

I think this will be an advantage for those who manage to get past the learning curve.

92 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
webtako
says

Curious if objective c is easier to learn if already know C and C++. Don’t even have a mac to make any apps with but would be interested to learn it during spare time.

3402 posts
+7 more
vuzum
says

Curious if objective c is easier to learn if already know C and C++. Don’t even have a mac to make any apps with but would be interested to learn it during spare time.

Definitely.

377 posts
  • Located in Argentina
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
360Degrees
says

I always wanted to learn Objective-C, I tried but coding is not really my thing. I have designed an iPhone game I really want to do and I will see if I can lear Objective-C and do it.

by
by
by
by
by
by