861 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

I will be traveling to Lausanne for 6 Month to hoin a research team at EPFL.
Anyone there that can give me a clue of what to expect? Renting ? Living ? such stuff.

Thanks

771 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
LCweb says

I remember a beautiful place and know that is surely an expensive country.
Anyway I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

861 posts
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

I remember a beautiful place and know that is surely an expensive country.
Anyway I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

I hear that from friends here. I will be drained moneywise, but it is great for my career. EPFL is number 8 in engineering! So a PhD from there is worth it! Plus I will be working with high profile researchers!

47 posts
  • Located in Belgium
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
rakinjakk says

Money will be the thing to watch.

I lived in Suisse for 2 years and going out to eat is very expensive. You can save tons of money by cooking yourself. Coop and Migros are basic super markets and are reasonably cheap. Prepare your monthly budget and you’ll be fine though.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Switzerland&city=Lausanne

Renting a home in Lausanne is crazy expensive. As it is close to Genève you can imagine the prices will be ridiculous. And it will be tiny. An excellent link:
http://genevalunch.com/guides/managing-your-finances-the-true-cost-of-living-and-saving-major-areas-of-expense/

Public transport is fan-tas-tic! It’s not that cheap but you can count on it working on Swiss-clock-accuracy. Swiss people complain when a train is 2 MINUTES late. You might be able to save money by pre-paying for the term of your stay.

Health insurance is mostly in private hands so you’ll have to make a deal with an insurance company (required by law). Pay attention to this one because some of these guys are real cowboys just trying to get you into a high payment plan which might not suit your needs. I’d go for the minimum unless your work over there will be dangerous. Ask your future students for advice.

The Lausanne area is beautiful to live in. Mountains piling up in your face, amazing you every day, it’s close to everything and has a diverse population. You’ll love it!

861 posts
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

Thank you for your thorough explanation.

Food part is a killer. I am accustomed to eat outside at least 4 times a week. I live alone now but i never cook, I either eat at my folks or order. In our country you can order everything by phone. I dont know how people can live otherwise!

For the rent, I’d gotta find me a good deal and a close one to work. I dont like public transportation. I wont be getting a car the first 6 month. Maybe after my second period which would be 5 years I’ll get a car. (I am now going for 6 month, then come back home for 3 month then go for 5 years)

However I am excited to live there. Seems like a nice place!

1135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Switzerland
+8 more
SonicCube says

Hello

i live in the northern part of Switzerland, but i do know Lausanne as well. It’s a “student city” and you will find a lot of options for more or less cheap food and living in a student community (if you want to). Otherwise it’s as some others already explained a very expensive country.

Many people from abroad think, everyone in Switzerland is rich, that might be so if compared to the income somewhere else. But if you check the prices here, you will need a good job to feel rich in Switzerland :) For artists and people with not so good jobs, it can be quite a hard place to live (money wise only for sure).

Anyway, i wish you a goos stay and feel free to contact me for any questions you might have, i’m happy to help.

Daniel

861 posts
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

Thank you Daniel, I will be working with a research team. My main objective isnt to collect money but to gain experience and get my PhD.

Thank you for the offer to help. I’ll keep you in mind. Maybe if I visit the northern area we can have a coffee :)

600 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+7 more
simonswiss says

Hi mate,

Swiss native here, lived all my life in the Lausanne area and am now expat in Sydney since July 2013.

I would be more than happy to help you out if you need anything. I actually got really excited when i read the title of this post and saw Lausanne in it :)

I studied at UNIL (University of Lausanne), which shares the campus with EPFL and Learning Center. You will absolutely love the lakeside campus and the ‘city’ (for most countries it would be a town) of Lausanne and its’ surroundings.

Like rakinjakk said, the eating out part will get you. You need to count at least CHF 20 (CHF and US$ are nearly equal) for a basic meal out, unless you eat at McDo (4 times a week, eek!).

Also a thing to pay attention, most shops (Migros, Coop, ..) close at 6pm (5 on saturday) and pretty much everything is closed on sunday, except for the train station shops that will pretty much cost double.

Don’t even think of buying a car – Switzerland is the land of public transport.

For accommodation, EPFL offers student housing that are both affordable and fun. It’s a great way to meet international students and get in the social circle of studies abroad. I used to hang out with the exchange students in their housing near Vidy (lakeside neighbourhood near the campus) and the apartments were really nice.

Another thing you need to do is get the EPFL/UNIL sports card – it allows you to join a TON of sports classes and facilities, including winter skiing / snowboarding camps, access to the world class gym.. I studied sports science in UNIL and there are not many universities with the facilities this campus has to offer. Again, it’s a great way to meet new friends and stay healthy / clear your brain from all the hard studying.

If you get stuck the first few days in Lausanne, the Lausanne Guesthouse & Backpacker (right by the train station) is a good place to stay.

Actually, i got into webdesign with a personal project of mine to promote Switzerland’s budget travel options. You can see one of my first websites here: http://swissabout.com – i am sure this will help you out if you want to travel around on a budget.

If you are willing to commute for 15 minutes and live in a paradise lakeside town that is more relaxed, less crowded, you may want to consider living in Vevey or Montreux. I am actually from Vevey and was commuting every day from Vevey to Lausanne.

Most people living in Lausanne must anyway do a 15min+ packed bus ride to reach the center of town. From Vevey, it’s an incredibly scenic lakeside (litterally lakeside, like 3m away from the water all the way) ride through the UNESCO Lavaux Wine yards. The ride will provide you with the best sunsets on winter days on your way back home. In summer, you can even catch a steam boat and cruise in the sunshine..

Finally – because i love my region so much – let me get you excited with this video. You will see the EPFL campus and also the train ride / boat i mention!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvsYTx-WCw
47 posts
  • Located in Belgium
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
rakinjakk says

Better start learning how to cook :nerdy:

861 posts
+5 more
MoeHaydar says

Thanks simonswiss, big times..

I have a clearer view now about what to expect!

I am a sports guy, huge football fan and I play it well. Hopefully I’ll recover from my injury before i travel!

I am really excited now to see this beautiful country! Hopefully everything will work out as planned and I will visit it another time for 5 years rather than 6 month only!

A small question, I speak english and am not that well in French, should I learn it more or english is sufficient ?

by
by
by
by
by
by