1236 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
HarveyDesign Volunteer moderator says

Hey guys :)

I’m looking to buy a domain and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I’m after one that takes paypal.

I was going to go with godaddy but with paypal they want you to accept a “Merchant-Initiated Payment Agreement” Which i don’t agree with as i would rather renew it myself without them being able to automatically take funds.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched but could only find a bunch of hosting-related threads.

738 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Jar says

I don’t know if they accept paypal, but you could always setup the paypal debit card. After a quick search I found moniker.com and it looks like they offer registering domains rather cheap. (~$8 USD )

151 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
RoyalTemplates says

I use namecheap.com. Can use paypal and Ive never had a problem. Should be able to find discount codes around the web as well.

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
Hey guys :)

I’m looking to buy a domain and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I’m after one that takes paypal.

I was going to go with godaddy but with paypal they want you to accept a “Merchant-Initiated Payment Agreement” Which i don’t agree with as i would rather renew it myself without them being able to automatically take funds.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched but could only find a bunch of hosting-related threads.

I don’t like the agreement with GoDaddy either that you have to use until you can pay with PayPal ($500 billing agreement), but you can actually remove this right after your purchase.

Go into PayPal – Profile – Pay List – Click on the one GoDaddy just setup – Adjust the billing amount for the month to something like $1 over what you just paid (if you paid 8, just make it 9 and you’re good). Anyway, just an option :)

738 posts
Jar says

I personally don’t like GoDaddy because of their tedious and advertise-ridden buying process. I bought my first domain with them and it was a painful experience. I’ve used my host to register any new ones I’ve had.

2022 posts Review Manager
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
I use namecheap.com. Can use paypal and Ive never had a problem. Should be able to find discount codes around the web as well.

+1 – I’ve been using Namecheap.com for quite awhile now, registering domains for clients, family, myself, etc. Over 100 domains through them, never a problem.

Edit: I wouldn’t touch GoDaddy with a 100 ft. pole, lol.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
Edit: I wouldn’t touch GoDaddy with a 100 ft. pole, lol.

You know, a lot of people absolutely hate them, but I’ve worked with them a lot for clients and personal matters and I really have never had a problem. I guess it comes down to what works for you :)

1236 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
HarveyDesign Volunteer moderator says

I don’t like the agreement with GoDaddy either that you have to use until you can pay with PayPal ($500 billing agreement), but you can actually remove this right after your purchase.

Go into PayPal – Profile – Pay List – Click on the one GoDaddy just setup – Adjust the billing amount for the month to something like $1 over what you just paid (if you paid 8, just make it 9 and you’re good). Anyway, just an option :)

Thanks Drew! I’ve just bought my domain and changed the billing amount with no problems. :) It was definitely off putting seeing an agreement for $500 billing.

+1 – I’ve been using Namecheap.com for quite awhile now, registering domains for clients, family, myself, etc. Over 100 domains through them, never a problem. Edit: I wouldn’t touch GoDaddy with a 100 ft. pole, lol.

It’s a bit to late now obviously, But i was wondering if i should go with GoDaddy since they have a lot of mixed reviews, I Don’t like to judge my purchases solely on another persons experience though and like Drew said -

I guess it comes down to what works for you :)

Thanks everyone :)

180 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
SuperMario290 says

I used N4Me.eu back when DNTemple.com was up and I could get my domains for free, but now I use GoDaddy. I think that with some of the promo codes and whatnot you can get GREAT deals (just renewed 2 and bought 1 domain for a combined cost of $3), and they’re reliable. Lots of ads, but they work great (for me).

116 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+2 more
finsta2 says
You know, a lot of people absolutely hate them, but I’ve worked with them a lot for clients and personal matters and I really have never had a problem. I guess it comes down to what works for you :)

I agree I have been using godaddy for everything I do. Domains, and hosting. Only thing is there support sucks

by
by
by
by
by
by