431 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
john says

Just a quick question for all the devs using our API (and API app users)

How many people use/need the total earnings figure (for all time)? We’d changed the field name to “available earnings” to reflect what we were actually returning – and we’re pretty sure that’s a handy value to have.

I had a chat with DenonStudio this morning and he suggested that the total earnings field (total amount of money you’ve earned ever) is of use – but I’m not sure.

We don’t currently have an easy way to get at that figure (without summing all of each author’s sales) and I’m not super keen on storing that as well for something only used in the API .

But….. if demand is high enough (and with good reasons – an endless string of +1s won’t cut it) we might be able to add it.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

I guess I can’t speak for all devs, but I would greatly appreciate a total earnings value returned directly, as it’s a bit of a pain to sum all of the sales for each month.

Also, I’m not sure about others, but as an author I’m personally much more interested in the total amount of money I’ve earned for myself, as opposed to the total amount of money I’ve earned for Envato. :D

3091 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

When making http://themeforest.net/item/envato-statistics-dashboard/52089 the API wasn’t used. Ended up downloading the statement CSV and parsing html from the users profile page as it was the only way I could get all the info I needed.

If the API had total all time income or similar I’d consider using that instead of summing up data from a csv dump. Although breaking that down into weekly/monthly/daily income would still require parsing csv file.

My 2c. Awesome job on the api.

103 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
DenonStudio Envato team says

I have to agree with blabus. The total earnings is an interesting piece of information. I feel the general consensus regarding the purpose of the account API method is to give an overview of one’s activities within the marketplaces. Therefore it should contain even more useful information like the total number of sales, total selling items in the marketplaces, next commission increase target, total number of referrals and this list will probably continue to grow as Envato expands.

It’s simply not possible to get some of the items I mention even by using hacks and tricks. In addition, techniques like page scraping (as dtbaker suggests) are prone to breaking as the webpage changes it’s structure, not to mention the legal implications that it has.

The other aspect that I’d like to point out is that from the mobile-device developer’s point of view, making extra API calls to only workout total earnings is an expensive and inefficient exercise.

I guess the case that I’m laying out here is to insist for further developing the APIs and opening up new possibilities such as writing back to the Envato system through the APIs instead of keeping the APIs read-only. While the issue that John points out is a valid concern, it’s purely an engineering problem which can be fixed. I don’t really expect all of these requests to be implemented in the current API version, but certainly publishing the total earnings figure is a step towards the right direction.

385 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
uDesignStudios says

Changing the name of the field is a good move, since having there “total_earnings” suggests it sums up all the earnings which is not the case. As for the value itself however it does not really matter, since it is no problem to compute that from the earnings by month dataset. So for apps that actually use all earnings by month figures it is no difference since they want both datasets. However apps that use only the total earnings figure have to download whole earnings by month dataset and then throw it away, as is the case with SalesDonkey.

What I would like to see though is a complete statement dataset, as that is something that could help us provide some more interesting statistics…

3091 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says
What I would like to see though is a complete statement dataset, as that is something that could help us provide some more interesting statistics…

agreed – that would be rad – just finished scraping / caching / combining all past csv statement files into one so stats could be pulled out of it easier. nasty hack the way I’ve done it but cannot see any other way.

1277 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
rondog says
But….. if demand is high enough (and with good reasons – an endless string of +1s won’t cut it) we might be able to add it.

that made me lol…sorry I have no say in this..Ive never used the API

8266 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

:D

I still get the same value for both balance and available-earnings though which is wrong :(

why call it available earnings? I thought total earnings made sense because thats what it is?

available earnings makes no sense, no-one ever says that… this fields returns the sum of all of your earnings, isn’t that your total earnings…? :(

103 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+9 more
DenonStudio Envato team says

You are right in that the value usually is the same as the balance but not in all cases. Nonetheless, one has to acknowledge that Envato devs are expensive resources and it looks like fixing the APIs isn’t on top of the agenda. On the other hand I have updated the Nvator and you should look out for an update.

8266 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
You are right in that the value usually is the same as the balance but not in all cases.

It’s a bug, my earnings are >$544 which is my balance. Yet it shows both fields as $544?

Nonetheless, one has to acknowledge that Envato devs are expensive resources and it looks like fixing the APIs isn’t on top of the agenda.

yeah, with multiple marketplaces in the pipeline not much will happen to the API for a while :(

by
by
by
by
by
by