567 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
iamdok says

Like MSFX , I too have recently upgraded my hardware. See imge below.

Probably the part I was most excited about was the dual 26 inch monitors which are awesome to work on. Another small detail which might be of mention is that I didn’t like the look of any pc keyboard out there. They were all horrible and plastic, and ugly, so I decided to try and pair an apple wired keyboard, which looks great, has a good build quality, and is nice and minimal.

I went for the wired one because I didn’t want to be buying batteries down the line, and I went for the one with key pad because the Ctrl key and others were more like the pc setup I’m used to.

I successfully paired it with Windows 7 ultimate, using drivers from the OSX Bootcamp, and now even the onscreen display of the volume is working nicely. The only drawback is that to use the normal function key’s PC functions, you have to hold the Mac’s “fn” key. I could swap this back but would then lose the volume and mute on screen display. (eject key’s on screen display works but not the CD tray!) USB connections work too!

Worked out pretty well over all.

As I mentioned before I was very tempted to go with the 27inch iMac, but in the end chose to go with the custom build PC. The Mac was going to work out at €2200 for the i7, 8Gb RAM , 1Tb HD.

I bought a PC with the following specs: i7 2.66Ghz, 12Gb DDR3 RAM , 1.5Tb HD for Data, Ati Radeon 5770 1Gb Graphics, 128Gb Solid State Drive for OS & Programes, plus the Dual 26” ASUS monitors (1920×1200) plus wifi & apple keyboard all for the same price!!

The only down side is that I still can’t test my work on a Mac :D Anyone else try to mate an apple keyboard with a PC?

Donagh

8234 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

oooo very nice :)

I haven’t seen a wired mouse in years lol :D

Love the screens, I have 2×22”, would love to go a little bigger…

You get such better value for money when not buying something Apple…

93 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
joelvardy says
I haven’t seen a wired mouse in years lol :D
Me neither :)

It does look nice, I was thinking about getting an apple keyboard when my microsoft one finally dies (some keys aren’t too sensitive any more.) Happy to hear the drivers from bootcamp work :D

You get such better value for money when not buying something Apple…
HaHa, so true, I can live with the cost of an apple keyboard though.
2215 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

So have I. I just bought a Toshiba Satellite 660 :) Really happy so far.

As far as using a mac-keyboard with a PC goes, I wouldn’t know if that would bring any benefits, it does look extremely cool nevertheless.

Chris ;)

3748 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says
The only down side is that I still can’t test my work on a Mac :D

Use Virtualization: VMWare + Leopard Snow System image.
I have this on my W7 machine. Works like a charm. Leopard OS displays little bit slower than original on Macs, but for site development testing is pretty enough.

510 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
pxt says

I use an apple full wired keyboard on Win7 too. Works like a charm. The ergonomics are so much better.

As for the monitor, I have a 24” and was thinking of getting a second 24” (Same model) Is it worth it?

Thanks

567 posts
+4 more
iamdok says

I find its very useful when i’m working on tonnes of different documents simultaneously, such as Flash IDE , Flash Develop(as Classe), Notpad++ (xml), Browser (testing), Windows Explorer, Photoshop (Image prep), Illustrator (Flash graphics prep), etc..

I jumped from a laptop screen up to dual 26”, so before I was searching for the taksbar waaaay to much. Now I can have many windows available to view immediately. I’ve read somewhere that studies have been done and its shown that a dual monitor setup vastly improves work efficiency up until 26”, but above that it reduces it. (I guess because its too large and you waste time searching!), But perhaps this study was sponsored by Samsumg or Dell ;)

Yeah the mac keyboard is sweet, itunes controls and volume controls work like a dream here too. :)

Donagh

567 posts
+4 more
iamdok says
I have this on my W7 machine. Works like a charm. Leopard OS displays little bit slower than original on Macs, but for site development testing is pretty enough.

Cheers pezflash,

Come to think of it, I saw this setup in a video tutorial about jailbreaking the iphone on PC! Didn’t know it was possible before that. It looked like it was a bit messy. Though I might give it a try.

Thanks again for the tip. Donagh

3748 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

Cheers pezflash,

Come to think of it, I saw this setup in a video tutorial about jailbreaking the iphone on PC! Didn’t know it was possible before that. It looked like it was a bit messy. Though I might give it a try.

Thanks again for the tip. Donagh

It’s quite easy, btw. You just need VMware (even with the free player is enough). http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ Then look for an image of the OS Snow Leopard for VMware. The only issue is setting up the net connection once inside MacOS. But i can help you with that. It’s a stupid thing, but took me days discover it.

Apart from using for mac testing, virtualization is the Future. You can have as many different systems and configurations in just one machine (linux, apple, old xp). Also it’s useful when moving from a machine to another. You make an image of the old machine. In the new machine, if you suddenly realise you forgot something in the old one, just run the virtualizated system and there you have, all your system, files and personal configurations, in the same machine. So you just need to share a folder between systems and copy/paste the files you need.

It’s obviously mainly thinked for server environments, but can be quite useful for home advanced users. http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/what-is-virtualization.html

3135 posts
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

It’s obviously mainly thinked for server environments, but can be quite useful for home advanced users. http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/what-is-virtualization.html

oh congrats for the worldcup…. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by