320 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
jwmcpeak says
Don’t you all think that over the next few years we will say goodbye to the mouse ( not the keyboard ) for most of the apps we use ? .... I’m up for a touchscreen and move all those knobs and hit those pads … YEAH

Touchscreens are great if it is the primary input, but I don’t see it replacing the mouse. Doing so would be a huge step back as far as input devices go. The mouse sits next to the keyboard, and using it requires you to move your arm only a short distance from the keyboard. A touchscreen requires you to stretch one or more arms over the desk. It’s a huge productivity hit. In order for a touchscreen to work as a user input device, it needs to be the only, or primary, input device. Anything else is cumbersome, an annoyance, and counterintuitive.

2201 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
ArikB says
Don’t you all think that over the next few years we will say goodbye to the mouse ( not the keyboard ) for most of the apps we use ? .... I’m up for a touchscreen and move all those knobs and hit those pads … YEAH
Touchscreens are great if it is the primary input, but I don’t see it replacing the mouse. Doing so would be a huge step back as far as input devices go. The mouse sits next to the keyboard, and using it requires you to move your arm only a short distance from the keyboard. A touchscreen requires you to stretch one or more arms over the desk. It’s a huge productivity hit. In order for a touchscreen to work as a user input device, it needs to be the only, or primary, input device. Anything else is cumbersome, an annoyance, and counterintuitive.

Gesture navigation is already huge in R&D circles. gesture navigation will take over. Seriously, we already surpassed minority report when it comes down to the technology that is currently in R&D.

2317 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

i saw a couple of days ago the images and video’s about this thing and…............wow i really want that thing :D

2201 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
ArikB says
i saw a couple of days ago the images and video’s about this thing and…............wow i really want that thing :D

Dude, those are all mockups, nobody knows what the thing looks like. (apart from a few people at Apple ofc).

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Daan says

I’m still convinced there isn’t going to be any tablet. I think the MacBooks will get an i7 mobile :)

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
jwmcpeak says
I’m still convinced there isn’t going to be any tablet. I think the MacBooks will get an i7 mobile :)

I think they’ll eventually bring one to the table, but I won’t attempt to guess if they will this month. I see all this hype as the same as the hype surrounding the iPhone before its announcement. We saw iPhone rumors fly around for at least six months before it was officially announced. Whether or not this is the same type of free marketing remains to be seen, but there is some correlation with past Apple products.

715 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Belgium
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Yaeko says

One thing is sure, Apple surpise us as always. I remember once that I was talking with my brother in law (who’s a Mac partner) and was asking him if Apple will manage to surprise us with some kind of new iMac, personally I was like: yeah I don’t know iMac’s are allready at top, well guess what, they came with the 27” :)

1103 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says

OK, i see.. as most of you speak about using a touchscreen for “regular” computer based work, sure you prefer using a keyboard and a mouse. Just think about other new possibilities that a touchscreen offers for people who would love to have one ;)

Check those videos / articles for example :

http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnmOTc1dVM0&feature=related

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
jwmcpeak says

OK, i see.. as most of you speak about using a touchscreen for “regular” computer based work, sure you prefer using a keyboard and a mouse. Just think about other new possibilities that a touchscreen offers for people who would love to have one ;)

Check those videos / articles for example :

http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnmOTc1dVM0&feature=related

Your assertion was the touchscreen will replace the mouse. As I said, a touchscreen has to be the primary input device in order to be feasible solution. The links you provided bolster that statement.

2201 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
ArikB says

Steve Jobs reportedly said that this is the most important creation/invention whatever in his life. He wasn’t this psyched about the iPhone or iPod. People from the type world who have seen the tablet have said that comparing it to the kindle is like comparing color tv to black and white tv.

by
by
by
by
by
by