• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
WPAlchemy says

Once you start quoting Aladdin, there is no coming back!

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Reminds me of the Michael Jackson , Latoya Jackson joke.

Mike and Latoya are in blockbuster video store, she says to Mike, shall we watch a video tonight.

He says Yeah Awesome.

She says, what do you fancy ?

He says can we get Aladdin.

She says, oh FFS Michael you are in enough trouble already, now pick a film !

1699 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+1 more
Creattive says

Once you start quoting Aladdin, there is no coming back!

543 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

I’m quite sure @digitalscience meant no harm, but I have seen several comments in the last few months that are best described as “unsolicited attention” given to women in the Envato community. The thing is you have no idea about anyone’s past, or how such jokes might be uncomfortable for them. What you can guarantee is that writing these jokes and laughing at them makes actual predators feel supported and vindicated in their thought patterns. Picking a side should be easy.

@Australia: It’s definitely not a matter of being politically correct. This is about making the right people feel welcome, and it’s no secret that women are underrepresented in technical fields. The least we can do is not paint a target on their backs, and the best thing is speaking up if you see others doing that.

These people are your digital neighbors. Treat them like that.

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Perhaps you are missing the IRONY

If you chase someone around a circular room, at some point they are chasing you !

4361 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

I’m quite sure @digitalscience meant no harm, but I have seen several comments in the last few months that are best described as “unsolicited attention” given to women in the Envato community. The thing is you have no idea about anyone’s past, or how such jokes might be uncomfortable for them. What you can guarantee is that writing these jokes and laughing at them makes actual predators feel supported and vindicated in their thought patterns. Picking a side should be easy.

I apologize Carmen for saying I’d chase you forever in an imaginary building shaped in an infinite loop. My thoughts are clearly predatory and I will speak to my therapist about it, as I have obviously crossed the moral threshold and I don’t want my actions to encourage any other potential predators on the forum…

I have to say tho, when I said the word “chase” I meant in the most positive sense, I thought the “smitten” icon would’ve set the tone of my comment, but apparently not… you’ve literally taken the deepest darkest meaning of the word, and turning into cause for concern to call the community predator alert.. I should be offended, but I think this it is more humorous because it’s really been blown out of proportion.

543 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

If you knew people for whom that would be a trigger, maybe you wouldn’t be so quick to defend it (whatever your intent). I don’t feel a need for this instance to be taken any further, but this is a well-circulated viewpoint on the problem if anyone is interested: http://www.shakesville.com/2011/03/feminism-101-helpful-hints-for-dudes.html

4361 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

If you knew people for whom that would be a trigger, maybe you wouldn’t be so quick to defend it

Actually I don’t know anyone that has those tenancy, luckily enough.. Whats wrong with chasing people around in an imaginary loop ?

I agree about the article though, I just don’t see how that relates to anything I said, since it was more playful banter. I think it’s more the responses afterwards which were the problem, but I can’t be held responsible for what others think or say.

5085 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

< baffled.

Ordinarily I would suggest this was due to a language barrier, but this clearly isnt the case.

I would expect we all respect each other , male or female, black or white equally. But quite bemused as to where this thread has gone.

I respectfully request a MOD lock the thread, its quite futile leaving it as is. Thanks

6784 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

just getting in to say I have nothing to do with this :)

don’t know why Carmen thought I will chase her around the Apple HQ.

I will just stop and wait. :D:D:D:D:D After all is a loop headquarter.

ok ok OK, we said NO MORE JOKES around here OK :)

anyway, we can’t control other people reactions to certain arguments since this depends of their cultural background. For this, there are certain forum rules that block certain arguments for the specific reason of not getting all in a big fight when we discover we may have a lot of different opinions on controversial situation.

Since we got meta here:

I’m for a cultural background that makes fun of everything especially if this is a very depressing thing. Is a mechanism that allow me to bypass certain sad situations and not ending up jumping out from a bridge.

But from my experience I’ve found out certain cultural groups are not so eager to “make fun” of sad or controversial situations, and actually get really angry when you do it. Is an interesting mechanism.

I’m sure DS didn’t wanted to do no harm but to express certain type of appreciation. Don’t kill him people :)

And he also apologized :)

When someone apologize, is good thing to see if is sincere, and if yes, give another chance.

BACK to the apple HQ. looks like a nice project but 5$bn? Some trick to steal some corporate money is at play here.

by
by
by
by
by
by