226 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nickys says

I saw that a guy hosted a giveaway for one of my items and I figured it should be a proper way of promoting and I should try it myself. But – as an exclusive author, am I allowed to do it? Would I be required to buy a license from myself for doing that?

Cheers!

1141 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

AFAIK you are not allowed to do that at all.

500 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
GraficAndMedia says

And what about promotions like this? Buy 4 get 1 free?

3749 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
pezflash says

The resume is: being an exclusive author you are not allowed to sell or distribute your own products.

3565 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Theoretically, if you create another account and deposit money there, then buy your own items, you can redistribute the item that you’ve bought(only once), along with it’s license certificate :)

675 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says

If you are an exclusive author, You cannot give away or distribute the same items which are for sale here. You can give other items for free, but you cannot add links to your free items from here.

226 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nickys says

I checked the rules for exclusive authors again, and it says only that you cannot sell you items elsewhere. Completely reasonable, since you will be getting the high commision at the marketplaces and you won’t pay any commision from sales elsewhere and technically Envato is losing money that way.

On the other side, if we consider for example a giveaway for an item once a week or whatever, you will not be getting any money from it, Envato will not be losing any money, and you will only get more traffic to the marketplace, which is good for everyone.

Or am I wrong somewhere?

3749 posts
  • Located in Spain
+9 more
pezflash says

Theoretically, if you create another account and deposit money there, then buy your own items, you can redistribute the item that you’ve bought(only once), along with it’s license certificate :)

Every law has a loophole. :)

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
LucidStudios says

I checked the rules for exclusive authors again, and it says only that you cannot sell you items elsewhere. Completely reasonable, since you will be getting the high commision at the marketplaces and you won’t pay any commision from sales elsewhere and technically Envato is losing money that way.

On the other side, if we consider for example a giveaway for an item once a week or whatever, you will not be getting any money from it, Envato will not be losing any money, and you will only get more traffic to the marketplace, which is good for everyone.

Or am I wrong somewhere?

Can you think of repercussions?

If everyone starts doing that then we will not be selling our files instead we will be giving them away for free in order to compete with the fellow authors.

This practice was started by some of the authors in the past and that’s when Envato changed the policy that authors cannot give their files for free which they sell here on marketplaces as well as authors cannot promote their give away sites through forums/profiles etc. but I see that rule is not being strictly applied to some of the top authors which has started a new trend :(

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
iamthwee says

^^ I totally agree with the above.

I understand why giving away some of your files for free would be great advertising. Everyone wants the greatest exposure for their work and maximum leverage.

Step 1. Give away your file for free

Step 2. Require an automatic sign up so you get their email address.

Step 3. Create a more premium theme at a $$$ with support.

Step 4. Original user likes new theme and opts to purchase.

But that being said… I totally agree it WILL start a new trend where everyone is giving away premium stuff for free. Which is great for the end user, but not so great for the guy wanting to make a living from this. I do also agree, that some top authors, the rule doesn’t apply to them… Maybe because they have a significant weight in terms of sales behind them may skew Envato staff opinion.

by
by
by
by
by
by