33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Italy
Nemo1 says

Hi everybody, i know this has probably been answered thousands of times, but after having spent more than an hour scrubbing through the forums, i don’t have a clear answer yet. My question is simple, and can be divided in 2 parts:

1- Can I use Photodune Items purchased with a standard (not extended) license in my preview only (live and images) be they on themeforest or another website? If so, can i use it multiple times?

2- Creative commons NON commercial use. Can I use CC items with NO commercial use, but attribution, in my (again) preview only? i am referring to sites such as flickr.

As I said, again, i only want to know if the preview usage is commercial. Images would not be included in the downloadable files.

Thanks! Fabio

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

You can use PhotoDune images in your theme previews. You can probably use watermarked images as well, but you’ll have to read marketplace wiki to be sure. You’ll need one regular license per theme.

As for CC images – theme previews are strictly commercial, so in my opinion you will need a commercial license for such images. I’m pretty sure there is an article about that in marketplace wiki too.

33 posts
  • Located in Italy
Nemo1 says

Thanks for your reply! I’ve read a couple of articles, but i’m still confused about CC and commercial use, since in some places commercial use is strictly “reselling”. In some others is just using it to make money For example, on Flickr I perform a search marking “cc content” and “commercial usage”, but still, on some images there is a non-commercial attribution license.

I’m so confused about it! And again, what troubles me is the word “commercial”, since in some places it’s interpreted as “reselling”, and in others as “making money thanks to it” as i said. The creative commons site is not helpful in this case, just confusing IMO

Thanks Again Fabio

3344 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

if its used to sell something(the template) its commercial

so even though the demo isn’t being sold its being used for commercial purposes i.e sell the actual product.

Think of the demo like a tv commercial or a print ad while there not directly a “product/service” its used to sell one

either way when in doubt dont use or contact the original author of the photo/video/script you want to use, if you cant find the original author then Id suggest not using it

33 posts
  • Located in Italy
Nemo1 says

Thanks ;) Okay then, since Photodune is such a rich and cool resource i’ll use standard licenses purchased there

Fabio

954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

In previews you must have commercial licence. In the main download you must have redistribution licence. And you can use watermarked items from Envato marketplaces in previews, you have the commercial licence for watermarked stuff. Regular licence also provides the commercial licence so yes, you can use it (if you don’t want the watermarks).

4344 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

1- Can I use Photodune Items purchased with a standard (not extended) license in my preview only (live and images) be they on themeforest or another website? If so, can i use it multiple times?

Yes you can http://photodune.net/licenses/photo you can also use watermarked photos from PhotoDune in your ThemeForest items preview.

2- Creative commons NON commercial use. Can I use CC items with NO commercial use, but attribution, in my (again) preview only? i am referring to sites such as flickr.

No, the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license states “You may not use this work for commercial purposes.”

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ (You can use it for your previews)
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ (You can’t use images under this license)
by
by
by
by
by
by