Septimus_fossett Recent Posts Threads Started
18 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Septimus_fossett says

I agree that there are certainly plenty of items that are similar to others, but they give users more choice, and raises the standard of future items of that category.

Keeping in line with other more popular items should give you a better chance of getting more sales, and although risky, creating a unique item could do very well if it’s good, and start a new trend – so your new item will get other similar items, increasing category standards and popularity!

43 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
lidplussdesign says

How many colors exist to paint your home walls? Unlimited… but in the end everybody is using those 4/5 colors. Same is for wp themes. We all like new and different things, but when you have to sell a theme to your clients they will ask you something that looks familiar, like a white wall.
like it!
43 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
lidplussdesign says

How many colors exist to paint your home walls? Unlimited… but in the end everybody is using those 4/5 colors. Same is for wp themes. We all like new and different things, but when you have to sell a theme to your clients they will ask you something that looks familiar, like a white wall.
like it!
106 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

True, though with web design I think the “white walls” should be those things that affect the usability of the site, for easier navigation for example. A good example of a “white wall” here would be that most websites are expected to have a logo at the top left corner, and the main navigation bar right next to it.
1528 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Anps says

Glad to see all the discussion on this thread!

I disagree that you should give the masses what they want though. As a creative agency, we actually make the difference by doing it the hard way.

It’s difficult, but if you hang on, in the end it pays of. Take a look at Themezilla for example. Orman Clark & Co build themes that have a unique touch to it and he’s quite the premium author ;)

I do not totally agree with this. They started at the right time, there is a lot of work on themeforest that is fantastic and unique but it just doesn’t sell, it’s against the rules but would really like to point out some templates in comparison to others and debate why they do not sell. That is the main point. I think the most buyers (the main focus group) looks for out of the box solution (which rarely shows up) and the closest one is the most flexible to there need. So the theme that fits to most projects. Or am I wrong?

1028 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
sike says

Like the analogy too. Though it’s more like in literally. Themes and color are different things. ;)
by
by
by
by
by
by