• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says

That new authors can just copy css, images and styles from our theme and they just simply get approved and make money of our hard work.

This is the case here.

A theme has just been released and we’ve seen some strange similarities. We’ve confronted the author in question and send out a support ticket to envato support about this. The author in question just simply let’s us now that nothing is stolen and that’s it.

Have a look about what’s going on, no names are mentioned, only screenshots taken of the theme in question and our theme. And then pay attention to the navigation part of both themes.

A screen shot of our theme

The css that belongs to the main part of our menu.

#main-menu {
background: #6792AB url(../../i/menu-bg.png) repeat-x;
border:1px solid #507990;
}

Now a screen shot of the theme in question

There’s no point for us to show the css since it has been changed by this author right after i posted the comment, hey changed the bg color and border color of the menu and renamed the menu overlay image so it has no more similarities with ours.

Now the big question, what do we need to do to get him to change that top menu , especially since hey has changed the names of the classes and images. We have very little proof now but a well designed eye has to see it heavily inspired.

Kind Regards, WPTitans

992 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

Sorry to see that happening to you. I completely understand how you feel. Not too long ago the same thing happened to me (actually quite a few times) and the author that stole from me not only downloaded original theme graphics from my demo to use for their theme, they even copied the demo CONTENT . Yes, they actually copied the text word for word and replicated my site. So when I say I understand and feel for you, I truly do.

The worst thing about what happened with me is the stolen work went on to be a top seller for well over a year now and it’s still in the top list every week. Yes, to this day it still appears in the top sellers every week even with it being a stolen work of mine, it makes me shake my head every time I look at that list, ever week. If you dig through the old posts here on the forum you’ll find where I called the author out and they ADMITTED to stealing my work but never took it down. They just updated the text on their demo. I’m sorry it’s happening to other original authors like yourself. Best of luck .

3121 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

unfortunately legally you cannot do anything, dmca won’t get you anywhere if they’ve changed it(as it has to be pixel for pixel pretty much and they could just counter)

Morally on the other hand you should report the issue to Envato and hope they take action but I honestly don’t think they will

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

I actually think that there are a LOT of similarities between some of the work here. I honestly don’t think it’s because people genuinely copy others work. Sure, we all get inspired by others, but anybody creative enough to get approved will have the skill to also develop from the foundation of the ideas of others.

TBH I don’t think the examples you’ve given can constitute plagiarism…

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says

Thanks Andy and Bee, really to bad this is happening. But nothing we can do about this then watch it happening.

But let’s wait and see what envato has to say, ticket is already send but code has changed so they won’t be seeing that.

PS: @Matt, please remember i’m only referring to the main menu here m8, not the complete theme

Regards, Hein

WPTitans

68 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
rafaelrasalan says

Well that’s only the menu. This guy totally copied the whole template, no mercy :D

If i submitted an item here and the reviewer rejects it then said “It’s not unique enough” i’d be totally pissed. lol

ProgressionStudios
ProgressionStudios Recent Posts
Threads Started
221 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
+4 more
ProgressionStudios says

Seems like blatant copying has been occurring too often. Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I contacted support and the item was removed relatively quickly. Hopefully you will get a speedy response like I did from Envato.

266 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Vasterad says

Well that’s only the menu. This guy totally copied the whole template, no mercy :D

If i submitted an item here and the reviewer rejects it then said “It’s not unique enough” i’d be totally pissed. lol

I saw that clone a few weeks ago. Is is still for sale?

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says

@wptitans – I’ve replied to your ticket :)

I’m going to go ahead and lock this as copyright issues need to be sent directly to support. If it’s one of your items, be sure to submit it under “Copyright Owner Concern”. We take these seriously and will be happy to help however we can :)

by
by
by
by
by
by