• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
minti says

Hey guys, I’m just curious about how many of you are working full-time on WordPress themes? If so, how do you manage your business? Do you have an office or working at home? Do you work 8hours a day 5 days a week, or just finish a theme in one week and hang around another 3 weeks? How do you appraise how much you will earn the next month and how do you live with the risk to be a part of something you can’t control?

Thanks, minti

2509 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

I’m a full time author. It’s probably one of the best jobs to have being self employed.

11 posts Nice
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
quitenicestuff says

I’m just starting out as an author and I’m doing it full time for now as I got made redundant from my last job awhile ago and didn’t really feel motivated to look for another one.

To be honest you can’t control any job you work in especially if your just a regular employee, I don’t think working on ThemeForest is much riskier than any full time job. Compared to many freelance gigs I’d even say its more stable.

185 posts I'm a Husky Designer
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
designcrumbs says

Minti it looks like you’re doing quite well just off of your one theme for the past few months ;)

What I’ve learned this year is that if you can keep the themes coming, you can depend on steady sales. I’ve consistently made more each month and I keep release more themes. I’ve been freelancing full time, 9 to 5, 5 days a week for the past 3 years and just recently (this past April) completed my last client project to focus on TF full time. I have a home office (away from all distractions) and I’ve made it clear to my family to treat it as if I am not here.

As far as being “part of something you can’t control” – You can say that about any job. People lose their jobs all the time, companies go under, freelancers have trouble finding new projects… At least here you know things won’t dry up over night. There’s not going to be a day where we all wake up to find WP is obsolete. Ride it out month to month, watch the numbers, and keep releasing themes. I feel more stable now than I did at my full time job years ago or while I was freelancing.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I’m a full time author. It’s probably one of the best jobs to have being self employed.

Pros and cons. For example, a girl who’s caught my eye in the neighborhood spontaneously knocked on my door today. But I was working in my pajamas and hadn’t shaved in a week :D

137 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
WPHead says

Pros and cons. For example, a girl who’s caught my eye in the neighborhood spontaneously knocked on my door today. But I was working in my pajamas and hadn’t shaved in a week :D

Haha has happened to me a couple of times as well :D

Do you still go to school or just work now?

70 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Europe
TitanicThemes says

44 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
minti says

The reason I’m asking is beacause I finished my bachelor thesis last week and planned to try it for the next couple of months. I’m a little bit concerned about releasing a new theme that doesn’t sell enough to bridge the next month :). And how is your level of living? How much money do you transfer each month to your bank account if that’s not too personal.

Thanks guys

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

The reason I’m asking is beacause I finished my bachelor thesis last week and planned to try it for the next couple of months. I’m a little bit concerned about releasing a new theme that doesn’t sell enough to bridge the next month :). And how is your level of living? How much money do you transfer each month to your bank account if that’s not too personal. Thanks guys

Hi,

you’re not thinking globally… consider that 1000$ have a different value from country to country… for you 1000$ could be nothing, for others is a dream paycheck :)

You should know how much you need and if you are confident about making that money on TF…

Cheers,

Parker

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items