6 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
voaxoi says

Suppose I am a top author with sales of $100,000+. Suppose, I want to transfer the ownership of my username/company.

Now, could I sell my portfolio for an other $100,000+ or any other amount for that matter (meaning, I am transferring the ownership of my username/company to somebody else – the sales will continue on my username/company on themeforest but they will belong to the guy who bought my username/company).

Is this allowed? I need a serious answer.

Thank you.

5216 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

Currently the Membership Terms and Conditions prohibit the transferring of membership. So it wouldn’t be possible to sell your account. Thanks!

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

That’s interesting because I know an author with +$100k in sales who did exactly that a few years ago. Unsurprisingly the quality went way down afterward.

327 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

What would stop you from taking a personal payment and then handing over the keys to your account?

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

Technically, you could transfer your membership, even though the terms say you can’t. You are allowed to register on behalf of a third party (e.g. your employer or business). You can then sell the business that owns the account. The membership still belongs to the business, so no transfer took place, but the business belongs to the new owner.

6 posts
voaxoi says

Technically, you could transfer your membership, even though the terms say you can’t. You are allowed to register on behalf of a third party (e.g. your employer or business). You can then sell the business that owns the account. The membership still belongs to the business, so no transfer took place, but the business belongs to the new owner.

Exactly! This is what I have been wondering. But according to the staff reply above, this still feels a little messy. Lets see what they have to say about the transfer of business.

6 posts
voaxoi says

What would stop you from taking a personal payment and then handing over the keys to your account?

I think this option’s a little shady but I do know that there might be many authors who would have certainly done this, secretly of course, as GravityDept says.

I am waiting for an official perspective on this matter.

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

Any word from Envato staff on the scenario I presented above? I know that the terms do allow you to register on behalf of a “third party (which may include your employer or other entity)”, so clearly this is allowed. So what if you work for a big company and you create an account on their behalf. When you quit, the company should keep the account. The same principle should apply for a company of one. If I register an account on behalf of FillerSpace Inc, and then resign, the company should still own the account. If someone then buys FillerSpace Inc, the account did not transfer, it still belongs to the same company.

by
by
by
by
by
by