153 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
AphroditeDesign says

Im 14 years old and thinking about my future so I decided to start this thread. I was learning XHTML /CSS for two years and wanted to become an expert, but i gave up and make a new goal. To learn about Flash technology and programming. The main reason was that I can create pixel-perfect design with fully functionality, but I couldnt do that with CSS and XHTML . I spent many days trying to find new ways of improvisation for every browser, because I wanted to make 100% identical websites for every. That made me crazy and I just gave up. I started to play videogames and left something that I always wanted to learn and do.

. Huge fail… I decided to learn Flash/AS in 2010 for sure!

So whats the poit… Are you happy with your life as a designer/developer?

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Interesting. I too started with HTML /CSS and then once I dabbled with flash and realized the pixel perfect scenario you speak of and fell in love with it.

No matter what you do make sure you have a passion for it :)

8122 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

absolutely loving it :)

I work for myself and I work with pixels that render the same no matter what the browser is*

If you’re going to learn Flash and Actionscript do your self a huge favour and start with AS3 , skip AS2 and completely ignore it, you’ll end up far better off :)

*there are a few minor bugs here and there but nothing like CSS in IE vs CSS in FF….

153 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
AphroditeDesign says
If you’re going to learn Flash and Actionscript do your self a huge favour and start with AS3 , skip AS2 and completely ignore it, you’ll end up far better off :)

Few weeks ago I asked on forums for good books and video tutorials so I bought Essential ActionScript 3.0 for later when I learn it a bit and I bought Learning ActionScript 3.0 for starting.

2952 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

I am happy that my stuff sold well enough the past 4 month that now it worth paying for having them coded by someone who love to code HTML /CSS :)

I wished I would have start young as you are , working on the internet is the best job ever.

2285 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

First of all, don’t forget, you’re just 14. It’s a great step that you even decided to THINK about your future, but it’s normal not yet to be used to work for hours on end without a visible result in sight, and instead play a game after just a few minutes-hours.

I don’t know what to recommend but I can give you a few pointers on “what not to do” as I know that is what I did wrong, even to this day… might be fun to read, might be depressing so enjoy either way:

I am 21 years of age, going on 22 soon… I started playing computergames at the age of … 9-10 years of age, and ever since then I realized I liked going really in depth, learning all controls of primitive flight simulators, beating my own high score as often as possible, and started exploring the computer in all the possible directions from using paint to the first Web-page visited, by the time we were still using 14400 bit modems. By the age of 14 the games already evolved and so did my wish to create interesting art that would somehow fit into the games. I started using photoshop and 3DStudio max quite a while ago, and as with the flight simulator… I started learning it to perfection, but I somehow got lost within the learning process and did just that… LEARNED how they work, and basically if you would ask me to write tutorials, I could rewrite entire books on either one of the two programs… but I never actually did something I was proud of in either one. Yeah, friends liked the few things I showed them, but I never did… and up to this day, I never managed to create a healthy portfolio. I regret this fact so much, I can’t even explain… by now, I am a proud owner of a decent laptop, wacom tablet, and quite a collection of original software, but only a few months ago did I start working on my actual portfolio… but now, I don’t really even have the time to do that, since I’m busy with my studies in architecture. By now, I’m advanced in Cinema 4D, Adobe PS CS3 , 3DS, Zbrush 3, and have some knowledge of basic webdesign, using Dreamwaver, but absolutely no coding experience.

In your case, you just have to decide on a good mix of designer and developer if you want to really do something. I believe in the next few months I will start learning AS3 as well, and at least get my design skills used for webdesign, because Gamedesign or any other concept is just not an option for me due to lack of time.

WORK ON BUILDING a portfolio of ANYTHING you excel at and by the time it’s already become a stupid habit, some people will already have seen your past work, and might consider using your services… that’s the only piece of advice I would have that might sound a bit more logic.

Oh yeah, and don’t do it if you just don’t have ANY sort of drive towards it… it’s just lost time.

Best regards, Contrastblack.

257 posts luiszuno.com
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
Ansimuz says

I started as a HTML designer back in the late 90’s then i had to learn programming (javascript, php, mysql, actionscript) so i decided to start a computer graphics degree now i am a graduate and also been working on a graphic design studio for over 6 years.

Having both skills design/coding has helped me a lot to complete projects all by myself. Its hard work to balance both but i am very happy.

Thats my personal experience.

:)

8122 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
WORK ON BUILDING a portfolio of ANYTHING you excel at and by the time it’s already become a stupid habit, some people will already have seen your past work, and might consider using your services… that’s the only piece of advice I would have that might sound a bit more logic.

definetly.

On one side of the coin you’re very lucky to have started so young, i’m 23 and wish I had worked out what I wanted to do 10 years ago rather than 3-4 years ago..

but and its a big but…

its SO easy to get sucked in within this industry and spend alot of hours in front of a computer making cool stuff all night long… dont do it... you’re young… make sure you enjoy your youth, its over before you know it :)

Best of luck :)

153 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
AphroditeDesign says

My friends are going to nightclubs, party a lot and play football… I dont like that because it wont help me later in my life so I love to do useful things. I dont look at myself so young and Im scared that I wont have enough time to do what I want and learn what I want. My goal is to learn Flash enough to do things that I imagine till age of 18. So I would be prepared to make money by myself not by my parents. I just want to be independent as a young person at start of life (18) so I will have enough freedom later at age of 30.

LOL , this sound so stupid, but that is how I look on life for now.

2285 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

Take it from me… I’ve been doing graffiti, hitting trains and subways, the city bombing, it brought me nothing! But it was something I could only have done then… now there is just too little time, too much responsibility, and the money somehow starts to be counted to every cent. Back then I would work my ass off to make money for spray cans… and made nothing in return, nowadays I have to make something, just for the hell of it, in order to make money, you know? be creative, whatever it takes, so that you can also look back and be proud of something other than good grades and happy parents. Do NOT deny your social life… just be sure to keep it balanced. Going all out in either direction is BAD for your future, either as an individual, or as a moneymaker. By the age of 30, you will have NO freedom. You will be stuck with the money-making mentality that needs to cover your daily expenses, and the only happiness you’ll feel is when you’ll be getting a fat paycheck so you can buy yourself or anyone dear to you something nice… that’s no freedom.

I pretty much managed to somehow f… it up on both ends, but luckily ever since I’ve met my current girlfriend, by the age of 18 everything started making sense.

by
by
by
by
by
by