7 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
subigo2 says

Last night I found a template I liked which was $12. But when I went to open an account and sign up it forced me to deposit $20 “to save on fees”... fine, whatever, so I do it.

I pay for the $12 template and look around to see if there is anything else I would like. Obviously there is nothing cheaper than $10, so the $8 in my account is pointless. Since I didn’t want anything else I emailed support and asked them to refund my $8…

Then this afternoon I get an email from Anis that says, “Deposits are for purchases only and cannot be withdrawn.”

That’s obviously crap. I’f I’m not buying anything else, I deserve a refund for the rest of my money. So I told Anis that if they wouldn’t refund the $8 that I would file a dispute with paypal… guess happened next?

They disabled my theme forest account and now I’m not only out $8, I’m out the template as well because I can’t download it. Oh, and they won’t respond to my emails/tickets either.

Really Theme Forest? You guys are really going to risk some bad press for a measly $8?

Now… let’s see if they keep this thread up or delete it too… and if it is deleted, I’ll waste my entire day tomorrow posting bad reviews of your site.

7 posts
subigo2 says

hah… They just replied to me and said they locked my account because I filed a dispute with paypal for $8. So even though they received payment for the template I downloaded, they’ve still disabled my account because I’ve asked for the remaining balance back.

I would have gladly paid $20 for the template I download. However, when you force people to deposit $20 for a $12 item and then don’t even offer anything under $8 (which would force me to deposit ANOTHER $20 if I found something I liked) it’s a clear ploy to bank on the “leftover” monies that people can’t spend.

It’s a shady business model and I won’t put up with it.

292 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Ezza says

I’m not sure if you are aware that there are several other marketplaces linked to themeforest, many of which do have items under $8. You balance is usable on any of those marketplaces. It’s also clearly stated in the terms and conditions that deposits are not refundable:

Envato will not refund any monies that you deposit into your Member Ledger as a Buyer. Any monies that you deposit into your Member Ledger as a Buyer that are not used for a period of 12 consecutive months, will be forfeited to Envato. Envato may, but is not obliged to, warn you about the forfeiture before it occurs.

115 posts
  • Won a Competition
zigmat says

subigo2 don’t be stupid. Why when registering, you agree to the user agreement and does not read it?

2018 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Yup, it might be frustrating but it’s your fault for not reading what you agreed to when signing up. You’re filing a dispute in a situation where you clearly have no grounds to do so, in which case Envato is protecting itself by locking your account which I think is completely fair.

Like Ezza said too, there are several other marketplaces which your account works for. If you didn’t know that before at least you know it now. :)

7 posts
subigo2 says

Excuse me if I didn’t read the entire 1,400 word ToS. That’s the same argument credit card companies use when they jack someone’s rate up to 29.99% interest. Just because you can do it, doesn’t make it right.

The fact is this isn’t clearly stated when depositing the funds (without having to read the essay). That and PayPal charges the same percentage on $12 as they do on $20.

The fact that Envato won’t refund a customers balance, even if there’s nothing they want to purchase, is unethical. You guys can defend it all you want. In the meantime I’ll make sure my $8.00 was worth it…

I suggest everyone check Google News (not regular search, but News) in about an hour. Just search for “Envato” or “ThemeForest.net”.

7 posts
subigo2 says
The fact is this isn’t clearly stated when depositing the funds (without having to read the essay). That and PayPal charges the same percentage on $12 as they do on $20.

I would be nice if it were the case, but PayPal do take a higher percentage of $12 than they do of $20.

It is unfortunately you feel the way you do, but I do not agree that the policy is at all unethical. If Envato allowed users to withdraw deposited money, it would open up all kinds of fraud and money laundering issues.

Give me a break. PayPal charges 2.9% + $0.30 for every transaction. If that $0.30 is going to break Envato, they should close their doors now. Envato doesn’t even need to “allow users to withdraw money”... they need to let users pay for the exact amount of what they want and then carry on with their lives.

It doesn’t matter. I’ll have a few articles ranking on the first page of Google in less than a month. Hell, I’m already getting traffic from people looking for them… I’m sure the amount of users that shy away after reading my articles will equal more than the $8.00 I asked for.

http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=ThemeForest.net&q=ThemeForest.net

72 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
denkGroot says

Aw, come on subigo2. Did you really think you could deposit $20 then buy something for $12 and then try to get the remaining $8 back again?

There’s a reason why you deposit fixed amounts of money, it’s so you are stimulated to buy more. It’s a common marketing strategy.

Your money can be spent on other marketplaces as well where things can go for as low as $1, enabling you to lower your balance right back to $0 if that’s what you want.

Good thing the Envato network is a lot stronger than your naggy newspost.

115 posts
  • Won a Competition
zigmat says

This is a very silly show your crazy when you are wrong. You have been warned, and you agree that you have read the rules. This is your fault that you have not already done so. No one is forced you to buy something.

A person is entitled to an agreement or an agreement not to after reading the rules. And if you’ve read, it most likely would have not done that stupidness.

Envato Support maybe you should be done the same test for sign up like in become the exclusive author?

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I had a really long reply to this – but then I thought… nah… not being suckered into this argument – I just want to let you know your facts are incorrect:

“I soon found that cheapest thing offered on the site was $10” – taken from your article on your website.

I have a gorgeous PSD template for $8 – it could solve your issue immediately! ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by