1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Hi -

I just bought a template in the “HTML templates” category and am having the same problem this user is having with his template (diff. template, same problem): http://themeforest.net/item/blue-business-business-theme-5-color-schemes/59734

Namely, when I open it in any version of DW (cs4 or earlier), it looks more like a wordpress theme source and doesn’t have tables aligned or defined in a way that shows up and is editable in DW. What’s up?

Aren’t the templates in “HTML Templates” category ones that show up like the preview looks when opened in Dreamweaver? I’d like to buy templates here, like I have from other template sites, but when I open it in DW I expect it to look exactly like the preview, WYSIWYG style, like templates I’ve bought elsewhere.

What’s the deal? Which templates show up wysiwyg in dreamweaver here?

thx…

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Well I create all mine in DW – so feel free to buy them :)

Have you contacted the author directly of your template?

There is really no such thing as dreamweaver template – all dreamweaver does is try and render the code as you construct the code – the preview it shows is really not a perfect browser type preview and depending on your code and contents some things will not display as you may “expect” them to – such as drop downs / sliders and even some css styling.

I see from the ink that the author has attempted to answer the questions by the other buyer and even offered more help via email – when all said and done the preview in dreamweaver not being aligned “correctly” is not anything to do with the template as such but more of a preview rendering issue in dreamweaver – it’s just a guide not a definite look of the template – that should be done via the preview option and selecting the browser to preview in.

Contacting the author is always the best policy.

88 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Singapore
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Gyro says

They don’t. Generally from my experience, they shouldn’t. Dreamweaver’s WYSIWYG view mode is terribly problematic, meaning that if it looks right in that mode, it won’t on your browser. If it looks the same in WYSIWYG and on your browser, its probably done with tables / absolute positioning, which is terrible coding and harder to update. Your best bet is to use code view, or to just edit the text ignoring how it looks on dreamweaver, since it will probably turn out right on the browser.

364 posts Onuro
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeKioken says

You should learn some html =)

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

+1

This is very true – however buyers have different levels of experience, plus some just want to buy – change content and be done.

It’s difficult to explain to buyers who may have a lower level of experience about the preview in dreamweaver – it is marketed as a WYSIWYG type of editing, when in reality it should just be used to see what your code is generally looking like for learning experiences.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Dreamwhat? What is this Dreamweaver that you speak of? :P

I haven’t really taken the time to test any of my templates in Dreamweaver, and I’m not going to let some third party schitzophrenic app (that usually causes more problems than solves them) tell me that my perfectly valid, standards compliant code isn’t compatible with it’s WYSIWYG . If DW falls in line, cool – if not, I’m sorry, but my code is valid. Authors can’t be expected to bend to the whim of every third party WYSIWYG , whether it be from Adobe or not.

That said – I just checked most of my templates and they are all compatible with DW… so take that for what it’s worth. Dreamweaver has come a long way since it’s earlier versions, and I’d like to think that they fall in line with most templates here on TF. Going to the author is more appropriate though, as this is going to change on a case by case basis. In general, I haven’t seen any author-specific rules that ask us to check our templates against software like Dreamweaver.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Agreed, but like jonathan suggests, every buyer here has different levels of experience. In fact, that’s one of the appeals of ThemeForest… that you can get a template with high-level coding even if you’re an amateur and take it into your editor of choice and go to work. I happen to think that it’s silly to expect or mandate that a template needs to work in a WYSIWYG editor (even Dreamweaver doesn’t render it’s own templates properly for heaven’s sake) – but there does need to be a certain level of accessibility to the template coding & documentation.

No HTML experience at all though… that’s like selling a car to a blind man with no feet. I’m pretty sure the OP does have experience though, since they seem familiar with DW.

IDK – is this a Wordpress template or an HTML template? Wordpress themes are notoriously incompatible with WYWIWYGs in general. There’s entire plugins out there that attempt to make DW more compatible as a theme editor, most of which still don’t work very well. Using a visual editor on a Wordpress template file feels like a bit of a mismatch to me. Am I wrong? Do people regularly use Dreamweaver to create full blown Wordpress themes?

1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Thanks, interesting perspectives. I’ve been online fulltime since 1998, designed hundreds of webpages and over 70 sites, using Dreamweaver for all my site designs…. not sure what you guys all design/code in? Yeah ok you’re hardcore “I design all my sites by hand in notepad.exe html” lol

Well thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it. I’m one of the more experienced internet entrepreneurs around… from what I know, most of us who code websites use DW as the main app. And yes it’s an html template, not wp theme, right re wp/joomla templates aren’t really modifiable in DW very well.

I need things to be modifiable in DW because I do a lot of custom flash coding, and using components from FD etc, plus my own css/tables that I use for making mods.

I guess I’ll have to keep buying my templates elsewhere, if the ones here don’t show up properly in DW. I spend 10k+/year on this kind of stuff.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Thanks, interesting perspectives. I’ve been online fulltime since 1998, designed hundreds of webpages and over 70 sites, using Dreamweaver for all my site designs…. not sure what you guys all design/code in? Yeah ok you’re hardcore “I design all my sites by hand in notepad.exe html” lol

Well thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it. I’m one of the more experienced internet entrepreneurs around… from what I know, most of us who code websites use DW as the main app. And yes it’s an html template, not wp theme, right re wp/joomla templates aren’t really modifiable in DW very well.

I need things to be modifiable in DW because I do a lot of custom flash coding, and using components from FD etc, plus my own css/tables that I use for making mods.

I guess I’ll have to keep buying my templates elsewhere, if the ones here don’t show up properly in DW. I spend 10k+/year on this kind of stuff.

That’s actually an interesting line of thought that I think all of us authors need to hear it. As I mentioned, all of my templates work fine in Dreamweaver, but I certainly can’t vouch for other products other than my own.

My suggestion wouldn’t be to take your money elsewhere, but to look closely at the comments and rating within any given product. It’s usually pretty easy to see whether or not users are having an easy time with a theme just by taking a few seconds to check this out.

Nobody here wants to lose buyers to low accessibility standards, so keep speaking up when you spot fouls like this :) As with any marketplace, it’s the give and take between buyers/sellers that allows each side to get a better value out of the transaction.

I’ll also say this – this is the first time I’ve ever seen this topic up in the forum – which either says that a lot of people just don’t speak up (a good possibility), or the rarity of templates not working for buyers is just that – rare. Keep an eye on the top sellers within the marketplace, and see if those templates don’t maintain your own standards for usability.

Cheers!

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Another thought is – with over 100 purchases on the marketplace, you have a unique perspective that many of us don’t have – I’d venture to say that this gives you a very unique set of experiences that you could use to help improve the marketplace as a whole. Speak up, most of us here will listen and take the lesson to heart, even if we push back with our own arguments. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by