• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Like I said all my templates are created in DW – not using the preview but in code view but display as good as they can in what is NOT a browser – it’s simply to give you a graphical representation of what you are building.

To expect authors to create templates that display correctly in a wysiwyg software isn’t really fair – we develop for browsers. The code doesn’t change whichever development software you use, always editable as you should expect it to be.

As epicera has mentioned, with so many versions of DW available it would prove an impossible thing because the next person may be using DW2 , 3 etc or Coda, or something else with a live preview.

When all said and done all these templates SHOULD open fine in any dev software so you can change the code – however you will not find templates based on tables – tables have not been used in creating websites for many years, something I would of thought you would be aware of being in web dev for 10 years – tables are fine for data etc – but not design – it’s also not our choice as TF do not permit templates to be constructed through tables.

You may want to join in with the new chat sessions that will be held per month -

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/themeforest-community-chat-tomorrow/16405

I mentioned the idea of a town-hall type of get together a few weeks back to Jeffrey and thankfully we are now starting it – it’s a way for everyone – buyers and authors to get together and discuss issues and ideas to help improve everyones experience with ThemeForest.

1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Hey Mark, thanks – great ideas, that worked, re live view/split in DW CS4 … I’d been using DW8 for so long I was looking at them in that…

also relaxing the doctype standard from strict to transitional in the header code seemed to make the wysiwg view problems go away in at least a couple of the templates I just bought today…

will do re reading up on div tags, haven’t read any coding books since dw8 references like 5 years ago…I’m sadly behind the times w/web 2.0 and social networking stuff, I’m an oldschool a/s flash coder, with dw for sites.

right re f12/preview in browser, always shows up fine there, just not in wysiwg w/o live view enabled in dw cs4

your ps way of doing things w/slices is kind of like my approach too, I need to learn more advanced site design skills…

and thx re the success note… fwiw all the things I buy in all the envato sites has been for just all my own businesses’ websites, I don’t have clients… just a growing empire/network o sites… :)

(good idea re the chat, those are a great way to talk too…I’ll try and make one sometime)

thanks for all the tips, much appreciated!

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

When you look into books. Find stuff on creating sites with XHTML & CSS . Not su much about how to with DW. Dreamweaver books tend to teach more about the software and less about making actual websites. Learning XHTML and css is the right way to go and the rest will fall into place. Lastly look at DW as an editor for your site. Not so much as a means to actually build the site. I use it like a glorified notepad. For code assistance and quick previewing of changes. But keep in mind there are many other programs out there that can do just what I described in a fall less bloated package.

985 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

I cannot imagine that up-to-standards theme could be made with Dreamweaver, or any other WYSIWYG editor..

Personally I use Aptana, but when I’ll buy Mac, I’m gonna use Coda (one of main reasons for me to buy Mac;) )

364 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
chrisfay says
It would be good to know what you all Do use to design templates in, eg surely you don’t code them with notepad and then preview in the browser…

Yep – for standard html/css templates I use Notepad++ and preview changes in browser. Definitely no tables, unless the markup calls for it (ie tabled data) – never use tables for layout as its terrible for semantics, file size, etc.. etc…

When building for Worpress, or doing any PHP , I connect directly to my *nix server via WinSCP – I’ve set my WinSCP default editor to be Notepad++ so I can open a file directly on the server right into Notepad++ and any edits to that file are automatically saved to the server immediately. Much better than any ftp utility I’ve used as the ssh connection stays alive much better with WinSCP.

88 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Singapore
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Gyro says

Hm, I code in dreamweaver, but in code view. In essence i guess its missing the point of the dreamweaver so i might as well be coding in notepad ++.

Oh, i do use design view for one thing: my help files, and entering content into templates. Having it help you enter all the ”< p >” tags, etc. is kinda helpful.

1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

hi – any other tips about using the html templates here in Dreamweaver? I’m using the latest version of DW; still I find that loading up the index.html files etc, doesn’t look like regular DW sites I hand-code with DW (using mostly tables for layouts)... any tips/lessons learned?

if not Adobe Dreamweaver, what program do you guys (esp. pc) use to create your sites in? I’d really like to be able to load the template files in a program that lets me easily modify them, like I do when I load my regular DW-created sites. And right, re using split view and the new “live view” gives a few perspectives on modding site layout and design. It’s just so much easier it seems, to create content in tables that are laid out on the page and instantly changeable, then digging around in css and code to make changes on sites. but hey I guess that’s “1999 is calling on the phone and wants their site design methods back”, lol. Hazards of being an old-timer I guess.

thanks..

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
mundabit says

Although I’m not an experienced developer, or a very established one, I have recently begun to pick up coding.

My recommendation to you would to use your program in split screen (Editor taking up the top half, web-page on the bottom half, editor covering the tabs to allow for more space), and use some editor that will automatically refresh the page whenever you make a change (sometimes it gets a bit fussy, but works). Right now I ‘preview’ my design changes, css changes, and everything using chrome, and rarely if ever hit the refresh button. I use phpStorm</storm> for this, especially since it’s got a google chrome app that hooks into google chrome, allowing for that great debugging. It also has “highlighting”, by that I mean, when you right click > inspect code – You’ll see the highlighting of the code area that your mouse is currently hovering over, as well as pixel dimensions, ect… really helpeful!

As far as “editting” the code directly from the WSIWYG – not a chance, but this way you know you’ll be previewing your layouts in a modern, up to date browser. If you want to edit a certain text, let’s say the text “Once upon a time…” just use ctrl + f and search that text in your code editor… it will let you find the text quite easily and edit it quickly and efficiently!

If you’re looking at upgrading your skills, reading a few books on it would be great, but personally I would go out and play around with a framework, like ‘bootstrap’, and see how it’s coded (find out “what” does “what”). After all, it is a great framework with maximum compatibility!

If you have a question on what a certain element or tag does – just simply google it! Most of the time you’ll find very informative information – with examples! :)

Hope this helps!

by
by
by
by
by
by