101 posts Live. Love. ASAP
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+6 more
liviu_cerchez says

I think these features should be disabled by default and users should have the ability to turn them on, if they want to (maybe place the option under advanced settings in the setting panel). Simple as that for me.

Doesn’t solve the issue for the visitor of the site, if the buyer choses to activate the feature. Also another extra option that clutters your backend :/

Its a classic example of form over function and at least to my mind you should never compromise on that if you can avoid it.

Yes, I understand you point of view – I don’t really use any audio autoplay and prefer to avoid any custom non-OS scroll functionality. I still think a feature is not annoying if a user likes it – he is the buyer after all. You give the user the ability to select a poor contrasted foreground color (yellow for ex) on a white background color (almost any good theme offers full color customization), it’s his decision to stick with it or not – any extra option means flexibility in my opinion. I respect your opinion (especially yours believe me, love your work), but don’t be too harsh on setting standards, users might prefer something different, something more suitable for their needs. My two cents…

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

Music that auto-plays on websites is about as awesome as a 2am call from a telemarketer. I don’t revisit sites that do this. It amazes me that anyone would.

28 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Atlaspix says

+1

631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

I think these features should be disabled by default and users should have the ability to turn them on, if they want to (maybe place the option under advanced settings in the setting panel). Simple as that for me.

Doesn’t solve the issue for the visitor of the site, if the buyer choses to activate the feature. Also another extra option that clutters your backend :/

Its a classic example of form over function and at least to my mind you should never compromise on that if you can avoid it.
Yes, I understand you point of view – I don’t really use any audio autoplay and prefer to avoid any custom non-OS scroll functionality. I still think a feature is not annoying if a user likes it – he is the buyer after all. You give the user the ability to select a poor contrasted foreground color (yellow for ex) on a white background color (almost any good theme offers full color customization), it’s his decision to stick with it or not – any extra option means flexibility in my opinion. I respect your opinion (especially yours believe me, love your work), but don’t be too harsh on setting standards, users might prefer something different, something more suitable for their needs. My two cents…

Hehe, no problem, anyone is entitled to their opinion :)

To elaborate a little bit: I have no problem if people put tons of options into their themes. I know there are a lot of users who like to be able to customize everything from their backend. But I think as developers it is our duty to question our users and ourselves before adding something, and always ask ourselves if a request makes sense. And quite frankly: I dont see a scenario where adding custom scrolling makes much sense or caters to anyones needs, as you put it :)

Offering an option for activating javascript scrollbars sounds a little like:
  • [x] Make my site scrolling weird for most user
  • [ ] Make my site work as expected for visitors

Or to take your example of color customizing: its as if I would put a predefined skin into the theme that uses exactly that white text on yellow background :)

128 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
mountainthemes says

1. Definitely yes

2. In my themes i add this as an option, i would never set the autoplay but some buyer may want to use it.

4392 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

• [x] Make my site scrolling weird for most user
  • [ ] Make my site work as expected for visitors

100% agreed! :D

161 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
Cubell says

There is nothing more annoying than auto-playing videos/audio, but I have to agree that custom styled scrolling bars are a close second. I have always thought they should be banned from themes here.

@liviu_cerchez: You are the theme designer though, just because you can give a user every option in the world, doesn’t mean you should, in fact, it’s quite the opposite, you should only encourage your users to use features that you, as the designer, truly believe are beneficial.

815 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

There is nothing more annoying than auto-playing videos/audio, but I have to agree that custom styled scrolling bars are a close second. I have always thought they should be banned from themes here.

+1000.

Especially “Full Screen” photography themes, almost all have this annoying music…

382 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Everything discussed here does make sense in proper situations – what if I want a site for a movie and its concept is to have only a bigger video with autoplay (audio included) – is that so wrong? That’s the only purpose of the visitors to that site.

Problem is when I have a portfolio/ company site and have a video at the bottom of the site which auto play – that’s bad!

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

Everything discussed here does make sense in proper situations – what if I want a site for a movie and its concept is to have only a bigger video with autoplay (audio included) – is that so wrong? That’s the only purpose of the visitors to that site. Problem is when I have a portfolio/ company site and have a video at the bottom of the site which auto play – that’s bad!

That’s exactly the point. The ‘feature’ has to compliment the purpose (goal) of the website and be a service for the visitor, but the trend is that it is becoming a regular thing.
The question you should ask yourself: for who am I designing a theme (or template) and why

by
by
by
by
by
by