499 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

Hey authors, I’m just starting this post to set some groundwork in the spirit of helping new/future authors in the field of marketing – which can be daunting/scary because of both the decent amount of time and money it takes.

So what marketing tactics have you tested that have proven to be successful to you? Do you deploy ads, spend little or lots, and have you performed specific metric testing for your marketing efforts?

- Here’s my answer: I’ve been doing a round of testing via BuySellAds for about $200/month (not a whole lot) derived on results from the Elite Analytics. Basically any sites that are among the top referrals, that I have not bought any ads on, are on the top of the list – as those seem to be getting a lot of traffic even without ads. I’ve noticed a growing trend in referral clicks, which basically covers the cost of the Ads, so it’s a real plus so far. I’ve had all links pointing to my ThemeForest portfolio but next week I’ll be switching them to point to my website, to see if there’s an increase in traffic to both my website and TF profile.

Secondly I’ve staged a couple twitter ad’s via some popular-ish Twitter accounts – to go on next week. I’ll post the results from them as well.

Cheers! Rich

480 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

Awesome! It’s really know what works in the world of themeforest especially for getting your name out there, especially for new authors like me :D

Do you find that the money earned from referrals from the ads are only a fraction of the money spend or quite a nice amount compared?

499 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

Do you find that the money earned from referrals from the ads are only a fraction of the money spend or quite a nice amount compared?

It took a bit of time to get a decent amount of referral links coming in, but just about all my ad buying expenses are covered via referral links. Though if you take into account the time used in the planning/strategizing/making the actual ads/AB testing/etc… we all know time is money ;)

I personally don’t invest a lot – though I’m leading towards marketing more heavily.

1484 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Awesome thanks for honest experience, I hope others will contribute too.

480 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

It took a bit of time to get a decent amount of referral links coming in, but just about all my ad buying expenses are covered via referral links. Though if you take into account the time used in the planning/strategizing/making the actual ads/AB testing/etc… we all know time is money ;)

I personally don’t invest a lot – though I’m leading towards marketing more heavily.

Yeah I imagine the margin between profit and loss with investment becomes a lot better when you have more items and more well known.

It’d be really interesting to know if the same amount of referrals would appear from a larger marketing strategy or if it’s better due to small amounts of exposure

by
by
by
by
by
by