636 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

Hi,
I’ll be creating my first AS3 file to sell here on Activeden and I wonder if I can get some advise on what tween engine to use.
I have used tweenmax for other projects, but I know that it must be paid to use here. I’m sorry “Greensock Team” you did a great job, but I’m not interested in paying 99 USD (and if someone thinks that it’s cheap, please pay them and give my email :) )
I also saw some older threads about this, but I wonder if there’s anything new and exciting these days… Currently I’m thinking about Tweensy and Tweener.
Any advise will be highly appreciated.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

If you don’t need to squeeze out every last bit of performance, any tween library is good enough.

4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

I stop using Tweensy some problem I got with the syntax + the color class is so annoy.

I use now eaze by Philippe easy no mambo jumbo stuff and i never need to worry about my Tween overnight my coding cos i try to us it as minimal .

http://code.google.com/p/eaze-tween/

More complex and it’s a preference is between as3 ,but I don’t like the syntax there but its doing a lot of cool stuff .

Bottom line base on what i see here on AD Tweener will do just fine

1234 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

I used greensock for a long time for client stuff, but then when doing my last AD project read their license info and realized that the greensock fee was going to be recurring every year…not for as long as I was using the engine, but for as long as the end product was online and for sale. Just from a management standpoint I can’t do that. 30 years from now I don’t want to be going “do I still have stuff on AD that uses greensock? I better figure it out and keep that license up to date”. So I understand your predicament :)

Anyway, I switched to GTween (MIT license), and I was actually so surprised. It’s better than greensock in my opinion. I found it do be noticeably faster (like projects that were skippy I re-did in gtween and they were then smooth) and more consistent (in CPU heavy glitchy times greensock sometimes finished the tween in the wrong spot even, GTween never does). I know some people love greensock, but I truly have no desire to switch back. The only downside I’ve ever found so far is that the GTweenTimeline stuff was pretty buggy when I tried to use it. So I just wrote my own class for that and called it good, but that could be a deal breaker for some I’m sure. But I’m really glad I found GTween. At first I considered it “settling” because of license issues, but after using it for a bit I even use it for client work now.

Right now I now Grant Skinner (GTween author) and Jack Doyle (greensock author) are teaming up to make a super version of TweenMax/TweenLite. That will probably end up better than tweenmax or gtween one day, but will still carry the tweenmax license. At that point I may switch back to greensock for client work, but for AD I think gtween is the best by a large margin. If the greensock fee was only recurring for years where I was building products using the engine, as opposed to years that the end products were up for sale, then I’d absolutely be willing to do it for AD. But not the way it is currently :(

Tweener ls a slow beast (sorry to those that like it, it has a great API , but it really is slooooooow in my experience compared to gtweener or greensock). And if you use the GTweener class for GTween it actually mimics Tweener’s nice API pretty well.

Tweensy I don’t know much about, but it looks promising.

1612 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+9 more
DaniMun says

Who said the Greensock tweening engine was cheap? Depending on what you can do with it, and ultimately on how much you can earn by using it, the license fee might be expensive, or it might be incredibly cheap.

Given the benefits it provides to me – the smart plugin system, the awesome Overwrite Manager, the simple and straightforward syntax, the fact that Jack Doyle is continuously testing and improving the classes, the professional and prompt support not only from him, but also from so many kind and helpful users on the GS Forums – to mention only a few, let alone the perfect integration of the TimelineLite/Max classes, and the simply outstanding Loading engine, I can say for sure and without any shadow of a doubt that the Greensock classes really make my coding life a lot easier, and a lot more fun for that matter.

Is the license fee cheap? It definitely is to me. As some of you may say, I might be biased, but I realized that not all good things are free. If investing a few bucks to make your life easier is not worth it, then I don’t know what else is :)

1612 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+9 more
DaniMun says

Who said the Greensock tweening engine was cheap? Depending on what you can do with it, and ultimately on how much you can earn by using it, the license fee might be expensive, or it might be incredibly cheap.

Given the benefits it provides to me – the smart plugin system, the awesome Overwrite Manager, the simple and straightforward syntax, the fact that Jack Doyle is continuously testing and improving the classes, the professional and prompt support not only from him, but also from so many kind and helpful users on the GS Forums – to mention only a few, let alone the perfect integration of the TimelineLite/Max classes, and the simply outstanding Loading engine, I can say for sure and without any shadow of a doubt that the Greensock classes really make my coding life a lot easier, and a lot more fun for that matter.

Is the license fee cheap? It definitely is to me. As some of you may say, I might be biased, but I realized that not all good things are free. If investing a few bucks to make your life easier is not worth it, then I don’t know what else is :)

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Greensock is, hands down, the best framework for tweening you might ever find. I bought the lifetime licence a while back when there was a discount and I covered the costs with just a week of sales. It has also an awesome loader which handles pretty much any kind of asset with proper garbage collection and queue manager.

If you don’t need fancy things, like color, filters, brightness, contrast and saturation tweens then you might consider using BetweenAS3 which has pretty much the same performances with a little more complicated syntax.

Color and filter tweenings are average with Tweensy, which worked fine but had somehow jumpy animations with multiple instances. Still it’s a valid opensource alternative to consider.

139 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
ram64 says

If you don’t need any fancy tweening you can try Actuate. It’s on MIT license, it’s small, it’s easy to use and it’s quite fast.

636 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I’ll try GTween and I hope it deals ok with color and some filters too. If it doesn’t I’ll try tweener… I’ll let you know what I think about it in the next days.
Once more thank you for your kind inputs ;)

28 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
sergibh says

I use the eaze tween ( http://code.google.com/p/eaze-tween/ ) like tsafi. I think it is a great framework and it works with flash builder too ( http://code.google.com/p/eazefx/ ).

by
by
by
by
by
by