• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
ThemeBlvd says

@epicera

In creating a support forum off of a TF, do you have any way to verify that people you’re helping are actual customers or not?

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
@epicera In creating a support forum off of a TF, do you have any way to verify that people you’re helping are actual customers or not?

Ahh, the holy grail question ;)

Nope – I’ll be doing 100% manual verification until we can get some lovin’ from the API . This was honestly a topic of very heated debate within the author circles – and it’s still very much a “lesser of two evils” kind of a solution for now.

The simple fact is that the lack of search and the lack of multiple-author support on the internal product threads here makes it super hard to conduct meaningful conversations with customers after you hit a certain level of sales volume.

That’s no discredit at all to the dev team here – they’ve done kickass work and frankly, their system combined with a dedicated email account is perfect for 98% of the authors. I don’t think anyone reasonably expected for any single author to do as well as some of us have been blessed to have done. Scaling is always the double edge of success. The good news is that more and more authors are selling enough to run into this problem (and there are some wicked good authors on here right now!) – even with the bar for quality being raised extremely high in the past few months. The fact is that even the best products require a great amount of support if you are going to maintain a good reputation with buyers.

With an external forum, you trade buyer verification (which is huge) for the ability to search, designate multiple moderators, track bugs, and let buyers actually respond to each other directly when I’m away from the computer (you know, like, when I sleep). It’s a major trade off, and not to be taken lightly.

I’ll be sure to post some feedback about how it works after the first month… for now, I plan on doing a beta launch later this weekend or early next week. I’m still on the fence for if this is a viable solution for myself or other authors, hence the hush hush until now ;)

1028 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+1 more
ThemeBlvd says
@epicera In creating a support forum off of a TF, do you have any way to verify that people you’re helping are actual customers or not?

Ahh, the holy grail question ;)

Nope – I’ll be doing 100% manual verification until we can get some lovin’ from the API . This was honestly a topic of very heated debate within the author circles – and it’s still very much a “lesser of two evils” kind of a solution for now.

The simple fact is that the lack of search and the lack of multiple-author support on the internal product threads here makes it super hard to conduct meaningful conversations with customers after you hit a certain level of sales volume.

That’s no discredit at all to the dev team here – they’ve done kickass work and frankly, their system combined with a dedicated email account is perfect for 98% of the authors. I don’t think anyone reasonably expected for any single author to do as well as some of us have been blessed to have done. Scaling is always the double edge of success. The good news is that more and more authors are selling enough to run into this problem (and there are some wicked good authors on here right now!) – even with the bar for quality being raised extremely high in the past few months. The fact is that even the best products require a great amount of support if you are going to maintain a good reputation with buyers.

With an external forum, you trade buyer verification (which is huge) for the ability to search, designate multiple moderators, track bugs, and let buyers actually respond to each other directly when I’m away from the computer (you know, like, when I sleep). It’s a major trade off, and not to be taken lightly.

I’ll be sure to post some feedback about how it works after the first month… for now, I plan on doing a beta launch later this weekend or early next week. I’m still on the fence for if this is a viable solution for myself or other authors, hence the hush hush until now ;)

I’d love to hear how it goes for you. For now I do have a couple of products that have a lot of comments. But since my portfolio is so small right now, it is manageable with it only being essentially 2 products requiring a lot of support. If I see a question that I’ve seen before I can generally find it again based off memory…

I could see how this would be pretty much impossible if you have many products requiring a lot of support. So for now, I guess I have time to wait and see how it plays out for you and some of the other authors :-)

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
I’d love to hear how it goes for you. For now I do have a couple of products that have a lot of comments. But since my portfolio is so small right now, it is manageable with it only being essentially 2 products requiring a lot of support. If I see a question that I’ve seen before I can generally find it again based off memory… I could see how this would be pretty much impossible if you have many products requiring a lot of support. So for now, I guess I have time to wait and see how it plays out for you and some of the other authors :-)

Sure thing. In all honesty, it’s probably not worth it for the vast majority of authors – setting it up alone is a big headache and it only forces you to check yet another place for comments every day; The benefits only begin to show themselves when support becomes an operation that you can’t do in a handful of hours each week. My advice: cruise with the existing system until it becomes unbearable – you’ll know when it’s time to transition ;) If you wait long enough, envato may actually come up with their own solution, which would be ideal for everyone. No need to rock the boat if you’ve got it under control right now.

Cheers! Brandon

9 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • South Africa
sorethumb says
See Clyde, Authors are always there to help! Btw, Brandon, your work rocks! ;)

Thank you kindly Daniel – now if I could figure out how to sleep 1 hour a day and run support the other 23, I’d be the ideal author ;)

@sorethumb – please please please let us authors know directly when you run into issues like this – it’s honestly in our best interest as authors to make you buyers happy as clams – so don’t ever hesitate to drop me a personal email, twitter message, or comment on the product board. There’s always a backlog (always! which is why I’m launching a separate forum altogether), but I do my best to get to every urgent matter in a timely manner. This week was a little different because I took time away from support to setup the forum, but I assure you that any delays in support will be worth it when the new forum is ready for action!

Thanks Epicera! I reallly didn’t think that the author would reply so promptly. The theme is amazing and am grateful for your help in this matter. Daniel was kind enough to help me solve the issue I had, he really did an outstanding job! Thanks you Daniel once again.

He did mention that he wasn’t able to load the menu…it doesn’t appear at all. I’ll email this to you in better detail Brandon.

The support here is really great!

Cheers,

Clyde

by
by
by
by
by
by