81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
themethoft says

Today is my 2nd day here and I downloaded the asset library after I finished reading all the articles on Knowledgebase. I have to say that I am disappointed with the quality of a majority of them. Some are so drab that if put in a sleek modern theme, the feel returns back to 1990s. This is not going to help the noob authors. The experienced author anyways never use these files.

I am requesting the staff to do something about this. Envato is a marketplace of all sorts of things and I am sure that these image assets can be updated on a monthly basis to keep the competetion going for the new authors.

I promise I will buy quality photos from PhotoDune as soon as I have my first sale, I have already selected some! But if I use these images in the Asset Library, that first sale might never happen :)

What do my fellow new authors say about this?

2722 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Welcome to ThemeForest, themethoft, we’re glad to have you here! :)

I think you make a good point. The asset library originally existed for our very first Marketplace, ActiveDen (formerly FlashDen), so it’s definitely showing its age these days. Since then of course, we’ve launched PhotoDune and that’s where a lot of authors now purchase/license stock photography for use in their templates and themes. If you didn’t already know by the way, authors are allowed to use watermarked PhotoDune preview images in their ThemeForest demos/preview as long as credit is given and the images are not redistributed within the main files that authors sell. So that’s one alternative solution if you’re looking for a free approach.

If you take a look around our forums you’ll see a lot of other recommendations and solutions to finding high quality images online that can be used in Marketplace items. A couple of my personal favorites for example are Unsplash and CompFight, where the latter allows you to sort through Flickr submissions where a creative commons license exists to utilize images commercially (typically with attribution). Wherever you acquire images, just be sure to always check the license and usage requirements before using any images from potential photo sources. More info here.

Here’s a great thread with a lot more sources of potential images authors can use. I haven’t personally verified all the links but it might be a good place for you to start:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/free-images-resources/83168?page=1

To get back to your question however, any successful ThemeForest author will always try to make their items stand out from their competitors and will want to always use newer, high quality images that haven’t been excessively used by other authors, so they’re unlikely to use the asset library. I think therefore that a new asset library may not necessarily be the answer. We have so many authors creating so many themes now that any new asset library would quickly become overused quite quickly. But I do think however that perhaps we could collate and maintain some of the best free image resources and put them all in one place for authors to consider. There are so many more free image resources out there these days that it kinda negates the point of having our own. I’ve made a note to look into compiling and maintaining a better list of image resources for authors.

Thanks for the feedback, great point. :)

81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
themethoft says

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I will be using watermarked PhotoDune in my themes then. Great way to support work of our fellow brothers. If the buyer likes both, it’s win-win for all parties. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by