3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Hello creative nation! I hope you all are starting an amazing week!

I have a question and your valuable assistance is needed.

I have a flash website that Im updating to Wordpress. To go WP, I need to install the files, add content, etc and etc.

Now, my client’s site can’t be down for a long time (probably max 12 hours) and I need to take the website down to go with the update (right?)

These are my ideas:

1. Install and update the website to wp locally using WAMP . Once everything is ready, upload the files and voila!

2. Install WP on www.myclientsite.com/newsite/ while the flash website is still online. Then edit the .htaccess file or update the database for the new links.

3. Install a WP plugin “coming soon or site down for maintenance” and do the updates.

What do you guys suggest? Is there any other options / solutions?

Thanks for your help and have an awesome day!

2215 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
crozer says

Hey Daniel,

I’d go for the local alternative. Always do your work locally; once it’s done, maybe test it somewhere else first (e.g. on a personal server) and if you are completely certain that everything is working properly, you upload it to your client’s server (replacing his/her old website).

Good luck ;)
Chris

3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Hey Daniel,

I’d go for the local alternative. Always do your work locally; once it’s done, maybe test it somewhere else first (e.g. on a personal server) and if you are completely certain that everything is working properly, you upload it to your client’s server (replacing his/her old website).

Good luck ;)
Chris

Thanks Chris…..I may go this way. Have an awesome week.

by
by
by
by
by
by