• Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
RimmonTrieu Reviewer says

Actually the guys at Adobe and PV3d team have had several talks so far regarding new 3D feature. There was some information that PV3D team would join adobe to develop 3d effect but in the end it didn’t happen.

And yes, PV3D is extremly easy too (you can translate/rotate or whatever with a line of code). I guess the 3d feature is mainly based on popular open source like Away3D, PV3D and Sandy. Adobe’s main task is to reorganize and implement those available open source in one place (could be a class), then it would be much more easy for developer/designer. Anw,while waiting for CS4 I ’ll keep sticking in PV3D .

Further reading

691 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
geoken says

PV3d is only easy once you’ve set up the scene 3d and cameras and renderers and objects and materials. Flash player 10 lets you apply 3d translations to all your display objects without having to do all that extra stuff (set up scene, set up camera, set up listeners to trigger the renderer, etc.). You can only translate with a line of code after you’ve written about 50 lines of code and created an isolated container to hold those objects.

That was my biggest issue with PV3d. If you wanted to do something simple like making a 3d page transition you had to place a duplicate pv3d object on the exact same position as your actual object, then quickly switch out the original object for your pv3d object. This whole process becomes even more convoluted when you take into account the neccessary calculations for the z co-ordinate (which affects the scale) the focus, zoom level, etc.

Basically my point is that with pv3d there is a big disconnect between pv3d content and regular content. What Adobe did is totally remove that disconnect. You wan’t to rotate a flv player, just set it’s rotationY property. With pv3d you’d need to build a new pv3d scene, camera and renderer. Create a new plane, assign a movie material to that plane, create a listener to update the renderer (since the movie material is an flv player). It gets even worse when you try to retain control of that flv players UI controls.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Elite Author
+4 more

Like I said before Adobe’s task is based on current 3D engine open source to implement their own 3d engine. What is 3D anyway if they don’t include such thing like scene, camera, 3d object, render, transformation, etc. Adobe just orgarnizes all those thing in one hidden place in order to provide an ease of usability which developer can take advantage of. Of couse, you won’t see how they setup a 3d scene, how they render every object, apply material (your movieclip, bitmap, FLV ) since all of them are already implication. Again, there must be some reason about relation between Adobe and PV3D team. PV3D does not involve in the end but Adobe must have learnt something from 3D open source.

Lastly, you can setup all the scene, camera, rendering, viewport in PV3D just one line of code by put them all in a class, let say initializePV3D class and call it out every time you wanna set up a 3d scene, it never takes 50 line of code ;).

Cheers

691 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
geoken says

You’re still missing my main point. Pv3d objects are seperate from regular objects. You can’t just create a movie clip, put a textfield in it, then use pv3d to rotate it. You need to create a totally seperate object, located in it’s own container sprite.

I’m dealing with this issue right now. My current project has every page on a pv3d plane. When the user clicks a link the current page rotates 45’ on the y axis, scales down to .25 and moves to the bottom of the page (it’s kind of how the OSX dock has the live previews of minimized windows except my windows are slightly skewed). The next page then rises from the bottom, rotates to 0’ and scales up. In order to do this I need to switch the pv3d page for the actual page. I can’t just tell the actual page content to do all those 3d transformations, I need to create a duplicate of it, attempt to place it at the exact same position as the actual page, hide the actually page (and hope the transition from the actual page to pv3d page is seamless), then finally animate the pv3d page. Adobe’s implementation takes it to the next level by allowing me to directly change the properties of a movie clip.

Also, I’m pretty sure Adobe’s implementation is based on the improvements to the drawing api (which let you now move actual points without redrawing the whole shape). This is the reason they don’t need to have a renderer. I’m sure they worked closely with the pv3d team, but in the end, I can gaurantee their 3d implementation isn’t a simple api which masks pv3d. There api is actually uncovering the players new abilities to change the shape of a drawing object without requiring you to re-run the function which initially drew the shape (which is pretty much the essence of pv3d).

65 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
philco says

* WARNING *

You pros probably already know this but if you go ahead and install the Flash 10 Beta you will find that it screws your current files.

Had me going for half an hour trying to figure out why my clients site was going crazy with artifacts showing up all over the slide shows and anything that was moving.

Reinstalled 9 and everything is back to normal.

Panic attack!!

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Elite Author
+4 more
You’re still missing my main point. Pv3d objects are seperate from regular objects. You can’t just create a movie clip, put a textfield in it, then use pv3d to rotate it. You need to create a totally seperate object, located in it’s own container sprite.

I’m dealing with this issue right now. My current project has every page on a pv3d plane. When the user clicks a link the current page rotates 45’ on the y axis, scales down to .25 and moves to the bottom of the page (it’s kind of how the OSX dock has the live previews of minimized windows except my windows are slightly skewed). The next page then rises from the bottom, rotates to 0’ and scales up. In order to do this I need to switch the pv3d page for the actual page. I can’t just tell the actual page content to do all those 3d transformations, I need to create a duplicate of it, attempt to place it at the exact same position as the actual page, hide the actually page (and hope the transition from the actual page to pv3d page is seamless), then finally animate the pv3d page. Adobe’s implementation takes it to the next level by allowing me to directly change the properties of a movie clip.

Also, I’m pretty sure Adobe’s implementation is based on the improvements to the drawing api (which let you now move actual points without redrawing the whole shape). This is the reason they don’t need to have a renderer. I’m sure they worked closely with the pv3d team, but in the end, I can gaurantee their 3d implementation isn’t a simple api which masks pv3d. There api is actually uncovering the players new abilities to change the shape of a drawing object without requiring you to re-run the function which initially drew the shape (which is pretty much the essence of pv3d).

We’ll see geoken. Good luck to your project ;)

3402 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
bobocel says

Cool news! I think I’m safe to say I won’t start learning PV3D yet.

by
by
by
by
by
by