8 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
tbritt18 says

At what point does a theme become “mine” or does it ever?

First off…I am a stickler about purchasing a theme for each site that I publish. no exepctions- I respect the profession and stick to the rules.

I do have a theme that I love everything about on the back end- the special features, the shortcodes, the special theme options, javascript, etc.

I’ve taken the front end of the theme and completely revamped it. If you were to compare it side by side with the original, you would not know that it was the same theme. I’ve changed colors, background, all images, many of the html/css elements, etc. Almost all of the visual elements and the css have been altered.

Do I have to keep purchasing a liscence each time I create a new site for this?

How much do I have to modify the theme in order for it to become “mine” or does it ever?

962 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
webdesigndeluxe says
How much do I have to modify the theme in order for it to become “mine”?

Ummm… completely delete it and start from complete scratch. Then it can be yours. Good luck.

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
How much do I have to modify the theme in order for it to become “mine”?
Ummm… completely delete it and start from complete scratch. Then it can be yours. Good luck.

lol ….

8 posts
  • United States
tbritt18 says

lol, I can’t tell if you are being serious or sarcastic!!

So are you suggesting that I just retype/recreate the same structure with my images and css?

Sorry to be so dense, just want to make sure that I am understanding correctly!

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

So are you suggesting that I just retype/recreate the same structure with my images and css?

No, he meant .. if you want it to be yours, do a theme by yourself.

It’s like if Toyota buy a Ferrari .. and change the colors, wheel, seat etc etc .. And then want to sell it as their own creation .. when it’s not .. obviously.

Maybe you should buy an extended liscence.

3197 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

technically authors own copyrights to images(not including the preview images someone else may own those), html, css, or javascript files if you use any of it they can still claim copyrights too, with magneto and joomla or any other cms besides wordpress(the php is GPL ) they own the php too

147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
zecchin says

From what i understand, the GPL license guarantee you free use of the Wordpress related code used on the theme. The restriction for 1 use only being to the design part of the theme.

That, from my point of view, makes it legal to even put for sale here at themeforest the same code + a diferent design. I don’t think that this is considered a good behavior though, and it’s not the case here, just wanted to put this out…

Now, there’s no math or anything accurate that you could say, after a said number of modifications this become a new design. I just think that given the prices of themes here, no matter how far you go tweaking a theme, it’s always good to support the author for the work involved on making the theme in first place.

I would stick to purchasing it everytime you need to use it again, although you say it’s a different design, it’s based on someone’s else work.

Just my opinion.
Someone correct me if i’m wrong.

8 posts
  • United States
tbritt18 says
That, from my point of view, makes it legal to even put for sale here at themeforest the same code + a diferent design. I don’t think that this is considered a good behavior though, and it’s not the case here, just wanted to put this out…

I’m kind of glad you pointed this out. This is one of the reasons that I decided to ask this question. My goal is not to resell my design in Themeforest, but I have looked at the back ends and code of many things that I have found and have been EXTREMELY disappointed to find that they were very similar.

Thanks for your candidness!

147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
zecchin says
I’m kind of glad you pointed this out. This is one of the reasons that I decided to ask this question. My goal is not to resell my design in Themeforest, but I have looked at the back ends and code of many things that I have found and have been EXTREMELY disappointed to find that they were very similar. Thanks for your candidness!

Note that NOT all the code on a wordpress theme sold here is released under the GPL license. When i say that you could use the same code, i mean wordpress related code only. So, any other type of code, like custom jQuery, css… are copyrighted to the author.

So, i just wanted to say it again. I would stick to purchasing it everytime you need to use it again.

8 posts
  • United States
tbritt18 says
Maybe you should buy an extended liscence.

Hindsight is 20/20, had I known the author would create a site this great, I would’ve purchased the extended liscense upfront! Now, I’ve spent about 1/2 of what I would have spent on an extended liscense on the inidivdual liscenses. If I could apply that towards an extended liscense now, I would do it in a heart beat! Either way, I agree that a few thousand is not much to pay for solid work.

I wonder if there is anyone that would build a site from scratch for me and incorporate all of the elements I need…

It’s like if Toyota buy a Ferrari .. and change the colors, wheel, seat etc etc .. And then want to sell it as their own creation .. when it’s not .. obviously.

I get where you are going with this analogy, but I’d like to respectfully I challenge you. If you strip the car down a car to it’s engine and take it apart to understand its inner workings, then rebuild it with your own materials and parts, then what you have created is no longer a Toyota or a Ferrari. In my case, its probably a pretty messed up excuse for a car, but it would be my invention, would it not?

by
by
by
by
by
by