1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Just a side note for all WordPress authors.

Theme Features:

Please DO NOT mention a plugin’s feature as one of your theme’s features. You can and should, still mention it in the item description, but make sure you state that the functionality comes from a third party plugin.

We need to consider that some users may not be using the same plugins on their site. The problem lies with plugins being listed as plugins, and not theme features or abilities. Authors can easily confuse this as a bug or error within your theme

Default Requirements ( 3.0 ):

Start from now, all WordPress theme which is WP 3 .0 compatible must support at least 1 wp nav menu ( Where user can assign their menu location – under menu > theme locations ). We have to be more strict on this from now on.

Plugins

Since authors are allowed to use any plugins with GPL license ( free for commercial purposes ), it will still be better if authors can get permission from the plugin developer first, or at least send a notification to the developer.

Please mention third party plugins separately from theme features.

WP Theme Option Framework / Third Party Framework

As long as the framework allows you to use it and resell, we are OK with it. But make sure you are able to provide support after sales. We can’t expect the framework developer responsible for your buyers. But still, we strongly recommend authors to develop their own framework or theme options. You know your code better than anyone else. DO NOT direct your buyer to the framework support forum. If you are not confident yet, learn it. In the end, this is a long term ‘business’ for you or your company or your studio.

Item Description ( Important ):

Please include the features that your theme is providing, not the features from third party plugin. Also, please be extra careful with your item description. ONLY mention what you have provided. Otherwise, it could may lead to a refund case with the reason “file doesn’t function as described” and you will lose your money.
1345 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Anything to keep TF standards industry high :)

1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says
(...) Also, please be extra careful with your item description. ONLY mention what you have provided. Otherwise, it could may lead to a refund case with the reason “file doesn’t function as described” and you will lose your money.

Could you explain this a little more? I think all authors DO mention what they have provided, what else?

Thank you

2445 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Great!

Goodbye unlimited-sidebars-type-of-sales-pitch :D

1040 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says
(...) Also, please be extra careful with your item description. ONLY mention what you have provided. Otherwise, it could may lead to a refund case with the reason “file doesn’t function as described” and you will lose your money.

Could you explain this a little more? I think all authors DO mention what they have provided, what else?

Thank you

I also was wondering about this one. I don’t include directions in my theme to tell the user to install some plugin to get a functionality but it sounds like that is what is being described. Is that correct? We should not include a list of features provided by plugins the user must install ALSO to get that functionality, rather say something like “Add-on plugin features: ...”?

Edit: What if the plugin code is included in the theme code and is seamless?

1734 posts
+2 more
VisualSharing says
Goodbye unlimited-sidebars-type-of-sales-pitch :D

I still fail to understand what does that mean. :S

As far as I know, there are 2 possible places for a sidebar – left and right… and maybe a middle one. But “unlimites sidebars”... what is that?

Or “unlimited skins”? You either have included 2, either 20 etc. How do you make unlimited skins? :D

2445 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says
I still fail to understand what does that mean. :S

As far as I know, there are 2 possible places for a sidebar – left and right… and maybe a middle one. But “unlimites sidebars”... what is that?

Or “unlimited skins”? You either have included 2, either 20 etc. How do you make unlimited skins? :D

something like this :)

1734 posts
+2 more
VisualSharing says

Well I can tell for sure that “unlimited sidebars” is a very misleading label, no matter if the plugin description states that “feature”. Even I as a developer had problems understanding this (maybe something’s wrong with me).

1040 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says
Well I can tell for sure that “unlimited sidebars” is a very misleading label, no matter if the plugin description states that “feature”. Even I as a developer had problems understanding this (maybe something’s wrong with me).

Does “Dynamic Sidebars” make more sense? It’s just a way to describe the ability to create a custom sidebar that can be assigned to any page, post, etc. I don’t know what else you would call it.

I’m not sure this applies to this new rule since the code can be integrated directly into the theme and does not require the user even know it’s there. I use my own sidebar admin features to create and assign sidebars, but run code from a plugin to generate the sidebars. The user doesn’t even know there is code from a plugin being used so I’m not sure why you would need to leave that out of the feature list.

Another thing I’m wondering about (and may have missed) is how this applies to existing themes. If they already list WP 3 for example and we do an update to them, must they include a WP 3 menu?

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Thank you

For example, if you describe your item can do A and in fact it can’t. Then it falls under “file doesn’t function as described”.

@Parallelus: Yeas, you are right. Sometimes, buyers may expect the features come with the theme. After they purchased it, only they realize they have to install a third party plugin to make it works. If you include a custom plugin ‘within’ the theme, which means buyer do not have to manually install any files then it is OK.

I’m not sure this applies to this new rule since the code can be integrated directly into the theme and does not require the user even know it’s there. I use my own sidebar admin features to create and assign sidebars, but run code from a plugin to generate the sidebars. The user doesn’t even know there is code from a plugin being used so I’m not sure why you would need to leave that out of the feature list.
Like I said before, if it doesn’t required manual installation, it is OK. The idea here is to give a clear picture to the user on what they are getting.

All these terms will ONLY apply to new submitted themes. But we do encourage authors to modify their item descriptions.

I hope I explain all clearly :)

by
by
by
by
by
by