147 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
JasonGraham says

Hi all! This is my first post here. I Just recently joined AudioJungle and am pleased to have a few songs posted, some good comments, and a handful of sales. Thank you!

I’m curious to hear your comments on this topic. After using Analytics, I discovered that on average, people spend about a minute or a little more on a page at a time. This would lead me to believe that if you haven’t captured the attention of your listener in the first part of your song, they’re going to move on. Not really surprised by that.

Do you guys create your arrangements with this in mind? Like instead of building slowly to an exciting climax, do you try to create a lot of interest in the beginning of the song?

I’ve also noticed that you can’t sometimes advance a track if it hasn’t fully loaded. Has anyone else seen this? I would think if you’re trying to find a suitable song for a project quickly, you would want to advance through a track to hear different parts of it quickly.

Finally… what about having two types of previews, a quick 30 second clip that highlights the best parts of your song, then a full preview so the listener can then hear the entire track. Or maybe you could just do that in your one preview… put in a quick 30 second clip, then follow that with the full track. And then of course describe that in the track description. Has anyone done this? Is it allowed?

Thanks in advanced for your tips and feedback!

584 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Sophonic says

For most R.F. music I try to get to the chorus or “hook” within first 45 seconds. Might not apply to categories like Ambient or cinematic though, but I don’t do those.

I pretty sure your preview has to be exact to the file or files they will be getting. You can and probably should do 30 and 60 second loop options which can be included in the preview file as well. You would probably still want full preview first in line though.

1409 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
lucafrancini Envato team says

I asked for a thing like that and the answer was that the preview file must be the same lenght of the main file. We have to use description and tags to encourage the listener to listen till half song at least;)

2010 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says
Hey Jason!
Welcome here, nice to “meet” you! In my opinion that would be agreat feature of having a “best parts” and a 1:1 preview! I made a sugegstion in this direction once:
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/feature-request-multiple-preview-files/77964 If aj would allow to upload multiple preview files and each one could be named, we could do exactly what you suggest, i would do it for my previews at least.

Regarding the climax / chorus question: I always try to make a easy song that is soon on 100% power(chorus) .. i think this is “saver” and more asked, but i’m not totally sure yet and don’t have a lot of experience on aj yet either.
139 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+1 more
nahkaorava says

For most R.F. music I try to get to the chorus or “hook” within first 45 seconds. Might not apply to categories like Ambient or cinematic though, but I don’t do those.

That’s a good tip. Although the structure on the songs depends on the genre of the song. But I think if you want to sell your track, you must put your cards on the table pretty early and give some hooks to grab the attention…

And I guess we all wanna got your music sold here, right? :P

305 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
adammonroe says

Yes, I too have had the idea that shorter clips would be better when you are doing music searches (we could still have the full clip on the item’s page) but I think the logistics of having to do this is probably more than the AJ staff is willing to take on. Advancing a track seems like a bug to me…it seems to work fine on an item page most of the time, but in searches or lists it would seem almost impossible.

In every piece of music I write it seems more natural to start a bit more laid back and build to something special. I think the key is to make all parts of your composition equally interesting, and to make sure they all lead into-and-out of each other. Sometimes when someone whacks you in the face with something huge at 0:01, it can be distracting at the least, annoying at the worst.

147 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
JasonGraham says

Good feedback and tips everyone, thanks!

Regarding your feature request about a month ago Mat, I read that and I like the ideas that came out of that. Particularly the one about making the preview like SoundCloud, where you could enter comments into the timeline of the waveform. So you could say at 0:45, chorus/hook, then at 1:25 bridge, or glockenspiel comes in here, acoustic guitar here, etc.

At the very least, it would be nice if advancing the track worked. I’ll log a ticket on this to see if any work’s being done on that.

But otherwise, yeah, I think the key is, make the whole song interesting, make sure you don’t have two minutes of filler in the beginning before the really great hook comes in. But yeah, my typical song writing involves starting out basic and building. I often times find that the simpler parts are sometimes more interesting.

jerrywrightmusic
jerrywrightmusic Recent Posts Threads Started
27 posts
+2 more
jerrywrightmusic says

Hi Jason,

Like Mat, nahkaorava and Sophonic said above, I too think it’s best to get to the point quickly. Adam’s situation may be different due to the type of music he writes. In some cases, it may be hard to “rush” into the song. But keep in mind that most people’s attention span is about a nanosecond anymore. I usually can tell if I like a song within the first 20-30 seconds. After that period, it’s on to the next one. Since 2007, I have been concentrating on writing music no longer than 3:00 long. That really helps to force the issue. However, looking at your sales and listening to your excellent songs, I think you are already on the right path!

931 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
jhunger says

I agree, and I almost think that 45 seconds or even 20-30 might be too long. I also prefer to write and listen to songs that start out simply and build over time, but when writing for a royalty free marketplace it has been better IMO to kick straight off with a strong melody. A buyer might have to sort through tens or hundreds of tracks to find the right feel, and I’m guessing a lot of times, out of time and necessity, a track that doesn’t hit home in the first 10-20 seconds might get passed over.

305 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
adammonroe says

But keep in mind that most people’s attention span is about a nanosecond anymore.

True that!

by
by
by
by
by
by