2667 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Joined an Envato Football competition Attended one of our Meetups around the world Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

I’m hoping there’s an Audacity expert in the house, this little issue has been driving me insane for far too long! :impatient:

Okay, so in Audacity, you can playback your audio from any position in the waveform. You click somewhere and you either press the play button or press the space bar. Now, you can also LOOP the audio if you press SHIFT + Spacebar or by selecting Transport > Loop Play.

What I have never worked out how to do however (and I’m not even sure if this is possible) is, have LOOP Play selected AND be able to start playing from any position in the waveform. Basically, what I am trying to do is double-check the quality of the loop. So instead of having to initiate LOOP Play and listen to the ENTIRE track, I want to initiate LOOP Play and start playing towards the end of the track so the track finishes and then loops back to the start. Not sure if it matters, but for the record, I’m using the Mac version of Audacity. I can’t work out how to do it – is it even possible?!

693 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OhmLab says

It’s been a little while since I’ve been in Audacity Scott, but this may help you. If not ping me and I’ll launch it and poke around a bit for you, no problem.

ImageHost.org

873 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
AndySlatter Envato team says

Good question Scott! I use Audacity for checking the looping quality on files, and I’ve always had the same issue, which can be very annoying when you have a 3 minute track to listen through! Keenly awaiting the answer to this! :)

688 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+5 more
robGD Volunteer moderator says

I messed with it and that just seems to be the behavior of the app. I think that might be a feature request, to be able to toggle loop mode on and off. :( SO far I haven’t seen a way to do that. Hope I’m wrong. I use iTunes to check my loops and that seems to be working out.

693 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OhmLab says

I was thinking about this last night, and I seem to remember being able to loop from the position of the cursor, within a region, and maybe one other way but not from the position of the scrub head. I think I may have gotten around this with using the pause feature creatively, like you can in Logic. Pause a song where you would like to begin the looping from, and rather than hitting space bar or the play button, use the pause button to resume play. Not at the computer with Audacity on it right now, but figured it toss this out there to see if it could help.

I still use this trick in Logic to get around resetting loop regions, and when wanting to listen to longer tracks with sustained midi notes that start before the desired playback area. Come in handy.

2667 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Joined an Envato Football competition Attended one of our Meetups around the world Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas OhmLab! Unfortunately, I still can’t get it to do what I want it to do. I’m with Rob – I reckon it’s a shortcoming of Audacity. :(

34 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
ecital says

It is a shortcoming. It’s free software, yet for the price still offers a fairly respectable arsenal of tools.

What you could try for checking loop quality on long files is this procedure:

• Copy the last few seconds.
  • Paste into new Audacity file.
  • Copy the beginning few seconds.
  • Paste into new Audicity file, ensuring cursor is at the very end of the original paste.
  • Listen carefully for any discontinuity at the “seam”
  • Edit if necessary in the original source wave

It’s not ideal, but does at least get you past having to listen to the entire n-minute loop.

Hope that helps.

2667 posts
+16 more

That sounds like a pretty decent workaround, many thanks, ecital! :)

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

You could always try Reaper, which I’m 99% sure includes this functionality.

http://www.reaper.fm/

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

The Edit feature doesn’t seem to be working. So, I’ll have to double post.

Reaper used to be free, but it isn’t anymore, Oh well…. It’s a good DAW for the price, but I was trying to provide a free answer, and have failed!

by
by
by
by
by
by