406 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
smudgethis says

Been a while since I posted in the forum, partly due to work and mostly due to the fact that I have been spending all my time rifling through box after box of records in London’s many independent record stores.

Recently I bought myself a turntable and bought my first vinyl. The sound and experience of owning something physical (after years of being an mp3 iPod person) blew my mind and now my ‘collection’ is growing at a fairly awesome rate!

So… anybody else been bitten by the vinyl bug? Or are you of the opinion that vinyl is dead and MP3s will rule forever.

620 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
uniquefx says

Yeah i used to be a pretty active buyer.I do like vinyl and even though i’m not actively buying records anymore i most definitely am not getting rid of my turntables or vinyls.

There is a special feeling when you find a rare record,or just a good one,and physically own it.

Even this discussion makes me want to go flick through my records :D

48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Australia
  • Member of the Envato Team
johnsyweb Envato team says

Oh I love my vinyl records, even the ones that are old and pop and crackle as I play them.

Unfortunately, mine don’t get aired very often as I listen to most of my music on the move these days and with a pre-schooler running around like a mad thing at home, I tend to keep my LPs and 45s out of reach.

I have a Denon USB turntable which I use for converting records to MP3s, which has been very handy: not all of my records are available in digital format.

93 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Australia
bensmithett Envato team says

It’s pretty much all I buy now, though I only listen to the vinyl occasionally. You get an MP3 download code for actual listens, plus a big, pretty, physical thing to keep & admire.

384 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Revturkey says

I love my turntable and collection of vinyl. So much more fun and interesting to play. I find that I don’t skip tracks..so I get to appreciate tracks I might have otherwise overlooked…

Also…some of the music I have on LPs isn’t available in any other form. Deleted or never digitised.

The artwork…and lyric sheets that are easy to get out and put back…cd jewel cases I am looking at you.

Less compressed, quieter and with a greater dynamic range. The loudness war is madness. Music should have genuinely soft bits..not deafening whispers etc…

Physical things! We ‘own’ them. Not some rent a tune file streaming thing.

Love it :)

741 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Hotpin says

Vinyls are the best medium and sound ever, the quality of vinyl is unbeatable and the sensation to mix with vinyls is amazing! If you check now more and more electronic music producers are choosing to release tracks on vinyl only…

273 posts
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Located in Europe
ChoclateFix says

I do not collect but i am a fan of vinyl sound and i just adore the way that music sounds on it! It’s like earsex ;)

931 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

I love vinyl, and once had a pretty nice turntable inherited from my folks that, alas, met its end, along with the record collection, when much of the ceiling of the apartment we were living in at the time collapsed in the middle of the night (long story – but no one was hurt :)). Since then I have not replaced it but maybe someday.

Aside from the pops and clicks (which can sound nice if you’re in the right frame of mind), the medium sounds fantastic. Also artwork just makes more sense on vinyl than on CDs (and forget about cassette tapes!).

342 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
soundtrove says

(and forget about cassette tapes!).

Ha I still have a box of tapes but no cassette player one day I will copy them to MP3 – too many bootlegs and rarities to just throw them out

by
by
by
by
by
by