• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

CLEARLY the Kogan have done it for publicity and NOT for a legitimate business reason!!

Once again, I disagree with you. The article provides the information that IE7 users are 3% of Kogan customers and the development time for IE7 alone was equal to the combined time for Safari, FF and Chrome. That sounds like a business decision to me.

There is no argument to be made for IE7 support. Any computer running IE7 is capable of upgrading to IE8 . The idea that you must support IE7 is ludicrous. It’s like taking the stance that websites should still support Firefox v2.0 which was released in 2006, the same year as IE7 .

962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

CLEARLY the Kogan have done it for publicity and NOT for a legitimate business reason!!

Once again, I disagree with you. The article provides the information that IE7 users are 3% of Kogan customers and the development time for IE7 alone was equal to the combined time for Safari, FF and Chrome. That sounds like a business decision to me.

There is no argument to be made for IE7 support. Any computer running IE7 is capable of upgrading to IE8 . The idea that you must support IE7 is ludicrous. It’s like taking the stance that websites should still support Firefox v2.0 which was released in 2006, the same year as IE7 .

+ 1

642 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
navigator says

lol 6.8 cents is not big money, but enough to send clear message about IE7 :D

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

The idea that you must support IE7 is ludicrous. It’s like taking the stance that websites should still support Firefox v2.0 which was released in 2006, the same year as IE7 .

it REALLY isn’t, because FF users are more conscious of their browser choice and choose to upgrade. IE users typically aren’t tech savvy. You KNOW that anybody running Chrome/FF etc is using the latest version (or thereabouts) but the same cannot be said for IE.

I really don’t think it’s justified to charge users for running an older browser. The web developer in me actually loves the idea, but the ethical, business-minded part of me – the part which drives empathy and values relationship building – says otherwise.

Personally if a company tried to charge me extra for running a browser they didn’t like, I’d certainly not be buying from them. Which reinforces my thinking that it’s a marketing ploy, because the last thing any business wants to do is piss of its customers.

5761 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

In fact there is no much difference between IE7 and 8 (in terms of “pain” factor of development). It could be more realistic if something like this happened to IE6 .

2163 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
Nitro_Themes says

I think -

As a web development idea, it’s utterly tragic. And it goes against what all true devs aspire to – to create a website which is accessible to all users, regardless of device (and certainly not penalising them!)

IE must die. End of conversation.

Hehe i totally agree man IE just breaks stuff there are so many free browsers and they are so much better than IE that people can choose from. I don’t know why people are still stuck on IE7 or IE8 . It’s hard to make new stuff for a shitty browser that breaks everything. I totally think that people should upgrade since it’s free.

Cheers

Lester

2213 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
crozer says

The idea that you must support IE7 is ludicrous. It’s like taking the stance that websites should still support Firefox v2.0 which was released in 2006, the same year as IE7 .
it REALLY isn’t, because FF users are more conscious of their browser choice and choose to upgrade. IE users typically aren’t tech savvy. You KNOW that anybody running Chrome/FF etc is using the latest version (or thereabouts) but the same cannot be said for IE.

Whether they’re tech-savvy or not, if someone who’s obliged to use IE7 visits that site and sees the “IE7 extra tax” message, he will start to wonder. After a few attempts and surely getting pissed off, he will contact his boss/tech team and inform them about that. Just imagine how many offices would re-think about the browser they should be using. That’s a big plus, and it really is time to upgrade. 6 years in technology is just outrageous.

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

Whether they’re tech-savvy or not, if someone who’s obliged to use IE7 visits that site and sees the “IE7 extra tax” message, he will start to wonder. After a few attempts and surely getting pissed off, he will contact his boss/tech team and inform them about that. Just imagine how many offices would re-think about the browser they should be using. That’s a big plus, and it really is time to upgrade. 6 years in technology is just outrageous.

lol, no they won’t – they’ll just shop elsewhere online

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

I have not supported IE7 since August 2011 and it has not made a bit of difference. I may have had half a dozen IE7 requests/questions in the last year.

You’re also wrong to assume Firefox or any other browser’s users are always on the latest version. More people are using FF v3.x than IE7 currently. How many years ago was FF3 released? I suppose all those ‘tech savvy’ people haven’t gotten around to updating yet?
source: http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201204-201205-bar

If you think spending an extra 30%+ on development to support 3% of your customers is good for business you don’t know what you’re talking about. For most businesses it’s not in their best interest. There are many variables to consider such as the industry, sales volume and even customer base, but unless that 3% accounts for a much higher percentage of your purchases you’re probably just throwing money away.

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

I have not supported IE7 since August 2011 and it has not made a bit of difference. I may have had half a dozen IE7 requests/questions in the last year.

You’re also wrong to assume Firefox or any other browser’s users are always on the latest version. More people are using FF v3.x than IE7 currently. How many years ago was FF3 released? I suppose all those ‘tech savvy’ people haven’t gotten around to updating yet?
source: http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201204-201205-bar

If you think spending an extra 30%+ on development to support 3% of your customers is good for business you don’t know what you’re talking about. For most businesses it’s not in their best interest. There are many variables to consider such as the industry, sales volume and even customer base, but unless that 3% accounts for a much higher percentage of your purchases you’re probably just throwing money away.

out of context stats like that don’t really mean anything. I think every site should be approached on a case by case basis, but generally speaking I think as developers it is our duty to be as backwardly compatible as possible. I really don’t believe that putting a “tax” on older browsers is acceptable however, in this case I believe it was a marketing ploy (which has obviously worked for them, earning them tonnes of authority links and lots of social chatter).

I really don’t think that taking the stance of “old browsers can screw off” is professional – we should always provide some form of fallback to ensure that sites are functional, and as stated earlier – don’t do something silly like charge extra $$$ because the user is running out of date software!

by
by
by
by
by
by