1 post
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
welovestories says

Themeforest should allow users to rate the author of themes so one can decide prior to purchasing if that author provides or not good customer service. I’m having a terrible experience with [author – forum rules] after having purchased their [item] theme. If I had known prior to purchasing that their support was so terrible i’d never have purchased from this site, not I have invested money and a TON of time and it’s much harder to deal with the problem.

what’s everyone’s opinion about a rating system for Authors?

301 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
squaredWeb says

Customer support is completely voluntarily on themeforest. You shouldnt base a rating on it.

That being said, if your item is broken please contact the envato support team and you will probably get a refund.

1 post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
cevatkerim says

If the author has made a lot of sales, expect no mercy from envato support. Even if the theme has issues, they will side with the author. They will not issue a refund. That’s a fact.

Every author provides some sort of customer service and advertises as such. Why not rate the author based on the support he/she provides?

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PaddyTaylor says

@cevatkerim that is simply not true. If a buyer finds a genuine bug in a theme by ANY author or can prove it does not work as advertised they will give them a refund.

If an author provides support it is voluntary and yes of course it is good customer service but that does not change the fact it is out of their generosity.

@welovestories, at the end of the day while I appreciate it can be frustrating not to get help the bottom line remains we buy themes “as is” and support is not required making it something that should be treated as a bonus feature of an author not something that it is fair to rate them upon.

For what it is worth I do take a slightly different attitude to those “guaranteeing” support as a sales pitch then failing to deliver.

164 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cara_design says

Every author provides some sort of customer service and advertises as such. Why not rate the author based on the support he/she provides?

And how do you define good/bad support when it is not required? Some buyers (NOT ALL) expect 24/7 support but some authors are one man teams and do not work weekends for example – does that make their support bad?

There are many arguments that could be had about definition of support, buyer expectation .v. author capability, “buyer error .v. theme bug”, “support .v. customisation”, we have even heard of the idea of a “top support” badge in the past.

But at the end of it all it remains voluntary and a gesture of good will and I am sure that anyone would not appreciate their business being judged or reviewed based on something that they are not obliged to provide

The current system works as it should – if you have a genuine error and the author is not helping report it to support and you WILL get a refund (of course they need a little time to check the issues etc).

397 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again and I’ll keep saying it again. :)

This statement: “Support is not mandatory” is false.

Yes, themeforest does not force authors to provide support but if the author has mentioned that the item includes support, it becomes a feature of the item and it must be provided.

However, a separate rating system will not work. Every author already has an average rating.

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
-bianca- says

Yeeeah, another thread about this. I think this has been discussed in tons of threads already. Just bother to use the search bar and you’ll get lots of opinions….

by
by
by
by
by
by