Author Tool - Introducing ReplyPantry - Text in a Can for Item Comments and Marketplace Forums

3429 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Thanks, everyone, glad you like it!

Regarding Firefox/Greasemonkey – I’ll look into this when I have some time (personally I rarely use Firefox anymore, so I just don’t deal with it as much), but if someone wants to contribute the project and write this version, that’d be cool – the code is all available here: https://github.com/sevenspark/ReplyPantry , and if you’re a Greasemonkey guru then I expect it’d be easy to port. Contact me if you’re interested.

@Thecodingdude, I agree, I had the same concern. But I leave it to the community to self-police. I think there are a lot of valid use cases where canned text makes sense – most of them would have to do with responding to a user who hasn’t actually read the documentation.

Examples:

1. [Forum] User claims theme is “broken/missing stylesheet”

2. [Item Comments] User posts support request to item comments when author provides support through dedicated support forum only

3. [Item Comments] FAQ -style responses – I know I get the same questions asked constantly in my item comments, even though they are answered in the support guide.

Also, I don’t think that the canned text would necessarily comprise the entire message, but it’s nice to get the bulk of it generated quickly and then personalize the message further. I especially find it useful for storing links (like the “Fixing Broken Themes” wiki page so that I’m not constantly searching for it).

But I agree, I hope people don’t abuse it ;)

5857 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Thanks sevenspark, definitely this will save some precious time and concentration. Going to use it! :)

849 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Rewroc says

Thank you Sevenspark. Very useful tool!

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

I’ve gotta say this is awesome Seven! I never really used Chrome before this aside from browser tests (no reason really, I just liked how Firebug/FireFTP worked better on FF when Chrome first came out), but I’m switching over to Chrome specifically because of this add-on ;) Already tested it out and started adding my own FAQs to the can!

Great work! Thanks for contributing this to the author community!

Now if we can just get a searchable product discussion thread ;)

3429 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
epicera said
I’ve gotta say this is awesome Seven! I never really used Chrome before this aside from browser tests (no reason really, I just liked how Firebug/FireFTP worked better on FF when Chrome first came out), but I’m switching over to Chrome specifically because of this add-on ;) Already tested it out and started adding my own FAQs to the can!

Thanks, Brandon! Really glad you’re finding it useful! :) Hope you enjoy Chrome, too – personally, it took me a little while to get used to Chrome Developer Tools after making the switch from Firebug, but now I actually like it better.

Enjoy! ;)

Chris

807 posts We're a nice team!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+4 more
ThemeFocus says

Great tool!

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
sevenspark said
epicera said

Thanks, Brandon! Really glad you’re finding it useful! :) Hope you enjoy Chrome, too – personally, it took me a little while to get used to Chrome Developer Tools after making the switch from Firebug, but now I actually like it better.

Enjoy! ;)

Chris

The thing I hated (still hate) about Chrome has nothing to do with the browser (it is a lot faster/snappier than FF), but with the inability to effectively select text from the Firebug plugin using normal drag-to-select/copy/paste methods… I sorted out that you can right-click to Copy HTML , but sometimes I just want a snippet to use in support replies, not the entire HTML element… anyways, I digress – Your add-on is an outstanding help to my support workflow ;)

Keep up the great work Chris!

B

2214 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
crozer says

Brandon, do you mean this? http://www.screenr.com/6sos

You can obviously drag-and-drop, but I think you are mainly referring to mouse-selecting certain areas of code. You can do that by just choosing “Edit as HTML ” and then selecting whatever you want.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
crozer said
Brandon, do you mean this? http://www.screenr.com/6sos You can obviously drag-and-drop, but I think you are mainly referring to mouse-selecting certain areas of code. You can do that by just choosing “Edit as HTML ” and then selecting whatever you want.

Close, but I meant being able to select/copy/paste text from the actual Firebug inspector: http://www.screenr.com/R7os

My Mic is out on loan, but you get the idea – no drag-to-select in Chrome Firebug ;)

3007 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
duotive says
epicera said
crozer said
Brandon, do you mean this? http://www.screenr.com/6sos You can obviously drag-and-drop, but I think you are mainly referring to mouse-selecting certain areas of code. You can do that by just choosing “Edit as HTML ” and then selecting whatever you want.

Close, but I meant being able to select/copy/paste text from the actual Firebug inspector: http://www.screenr.com/R7os

My Mic is out on loan, but you get the idea – no drag-to-select in Chrome Firebug ;)

OFFTOPICE : OMG!! Is that sum you have for one month? The 25k

by
by
by
by
by
by