493 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

We recently discovered an author using our WordPress framework to release a theme on Themeforest. According to the GPL licence this is allowed, and we would have no issue with that code being used outside of Envato’s marketplaces, but as Collis pointed out in a forum thread recently, reselling GPL code on Themeforest which was bought/obtained from themeforest, is not permitted (without permission), and rightfully so.

We contacted support and provided evidence. Despite the author renaming class/methods and/or adding/removing code, the rip was still very obvious. The theme was first soft disabled and has now been permanently removed.

WP themes code is GPL, hence a DCMA doesn’t apply to this situation, nonetheless, Envato has it’s own in house rules about these situations. So for any other authors out there who discover another author reselling their WP GPL code, don’t be afraid to report it, Envato are paying attention to these things. To any authors out there considering other author’s GPL code as a a way to cut corners or make a quick buck, DON’T!

\\

Thanks to Jami for her help in the matter.

5538 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Is that a picture of me? It’s probably a picture of me :P

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

DMCA can apply to GPL. GPL is essentially a copyright license requires that all copyright notices stay intact, if any of the copyrights are removed you can file a DMCA.

Theres actually a ton of themes on TF that violate that when using frameworks(that are free) and code from plugins directly in the themes

thats why you see this, a lot of GPL code this (legally) cant be removed, if not it violates the licensing terms, just like re-use of split licensing improperly

<one line to give the program’s name and a brief idea of what it does.> Copyright© <year> <name of author> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

It explains it in the full site but Im tired and lazy this morning http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

493 posts
+8 more
pixelentity says

DMCA can apply to GPL. GPL is essentially a copyright license requires that all copyright notices stay intact, if any of the copyrights are removed you can file a DMCA.
are we allowed to place our name in every file ? i kinda remember a forum thread where it was said we were not (i could be wrong). Anyway, it still applies in case the original copyright notices aren’t removed.

@KingDog
yep, that’s your pic but we weren’t sure if allowed to disclose in public
5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Big props to Envato for taking action on this.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

@pixelentity Thanks for posting this. I don’t surf the forums a lot any more, but I feel like it’s rare to start reading a thread like this and see that it ends positively with resolution. As an author making the change to full GPL, this kind of advice (along with Chris’s advice, as well) does help to make me feel little more comfortable about such a big transition.

493 posts
+8 more
pixelentity says

As an author making the change to full GPL, this kind of advice (along with Chris’s advice, as well) does help to make me feel little more comfortable about such a big transition.
the question raised in the GPL thread but there was no official answer so we thought to share our direct experience.

Historically, Envato has dealt with such issues by requesting dmca notices but not this time: they asked for evidences, conducted an investigation and enforced house rules. I think that’s very important for authors because it shows our work is valuable for Envato and worth the time and resources needed to protect it.

by
by
by
by
by
by