• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+4 more
elements says
Hey guys! I just need to see here am I only one who is doing this… I would like to know how do you start working on a project with a client and how do you manage your payments?

Normally when doing a website, for example, I take 30% down payment or escrow payment that is compensated for the time while doing the mockup. Point is, I do nothing till I see at least an escrow.

When I was a newbie I used to do a whole project without seeing a single cent, and that was the school I won’t forget, but that is a another story.

Anyway… I know I need to do it this way otherwise, the client can just say I’m going to drop the project, I’ve changed my mind, and my 15+ hours is left unpaid.

Few weeks ago I receive an inquiry about a website + trailer. I say a time period for making whole project, time period for the mockup, process of making, and now the price. The site must be wow effect but price is a bit to high, so I say ok, let’s stay within the budget. So now comes the part of 30% down payment or escrow payment. Again, the same… can I pay in a different way, like after I see the design, I will pay for sure, do not worry I’m honest, etc…

So I know now that if I give in, that money&time is a bye, bye. I know what the end will be and still I do against me ( now I’m mad as hell for doing that ). So I finish the design and now it’s a ” If the guy likes it then project is a go, otherwise no.” story. When asked about payment, I’ve got the explanation that I can not sell air to people without seeing the final product. Good designers get the job, bad ones do not. – So that mean that bad designers must work for free and waste their time? I mean, that is why I have my portfolio. For clients to see what I’m selling and what they can buy, right? Otherwise what is the point of having one … do people really expect a free layout so they can choose if they are going to pay them or not? If you’re doing this for a living then you have your hourly quote. Time spent working on a layout = payment, or, time spent working on a layout = playing ZUMA . In the end looks to be the same since you’re not getting paid for neither the theme or playing this incredibly contagious game.

I just needed to get this out :)

So… do you have a situation to tell? Really would like to see some other opinions.

Thanks

Mario

443 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
vibes35 says

Hi:)

Honestly if you want a great book that explains the details and in-outs of freelancing you need to get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Talent-Not-Enough-Business-Designers/dp/0321278798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256956775&sr=8-1

It has been a great resource for me over since I picked it up a couple years ago! Actually I wish I had had it sooner :)

Anyway, good luck!! :)

39 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
ledzepBR says

What works for me is quite simple. I meet with the client and get as much information as I can, but before I even start talking about money, I tell him something like, “Ok, I will elaborate a proposal and get back to you promptly.”

Ok nothing new there, but the trick is, when I finally sit down to talk numbers, I make sure to bring with me an appetiser of the potential project… a small visual presentation with the client´s visual identity applied.

That is very efficient, because based on that simple teaser, the client will straight up like it or not, instead of giving him the chance to dislike your work after you´ve already agreed, and therefore, cancel the continuation of the project.

1000 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
baf2681 Reviewer says

Hmmm….most of the time when i do freelance work it’s for people that i have working relationships with. Anytime i have a new client i usually ask for something upfront, usually 50%.

I guess i cant relate since i have never had someone stiff me on the payment but i do have clients that take a while to pay me and i hate having to make that annoying phone call or email saying…Hey buddy? Cause then i feel like im being a pain in the ass.

But here is thing. If i turn around a project for you on a weekend, then i would expect your turn around on payment to be equally fast.

Just my opinion.

B

1100 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+7 more
ranfirefly says

First of all,
take a look at some of the last discussions,
There are some good advises out there:
1, 2, 3 .

Second,
From my years of experience, (company owner and freelancing) I never, but never, starting any work without advanced payment!
Believe me, that’s rule number one, and the most important one.
If you want to know your client, that will be the first clue about is honesty & seriousness.
Good luck.

237 posts elementza.com
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Germany
+4 more
elements says
... but i do have clients that take a while to pay me and i hate having to make that annoying phone call or email saying…Hey buddy? Cause then i feel like im being a pain in the ass.

But here is thing. If i turn around a project for you on a weekend, then i would expect your turn around on payment to be equally fast.

From my years of experience, (company owner and freelancing) I never, but never, starting any work without advanced payment!
Believe me, that’s rule number one, and the most important one.
If you want to know your client, that will be the first clue about is honesty & seriousness.
Good luck.

Yes, I agree on that… All I needed to know

39 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
ledzepBR says
I never, but never, starting any work without advanced payment!

Isn´t all the work done and uploaded to Envato, work without advanced payment?

9 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
IdealDesigner says

well , After suffering to work for such clients Only give me a headache i decided to Received 50% down payment before I put my hand in anything .And a portfolio of my other customers enough to tell them a general idea about the quality of my work. Of course, not every customer will accept working this way but believe me this is the best way to ensure your rights and get rid of the dishonest guys. Work for one client accepts this way better than a hundred Steal your time and effort

hope you got the idea of what i want to say and I apologize for my poor English

9 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
IdealDesigner says
I never, but never, starting any work without advanced payment!
Isn´t all the work done and uploaded to Envato, work without advanced payment?

yes but in envato you got your mony befor the buyer download your item.

412 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
patrickjansen says

Same as most, request at least 50% deposit. But in many cases I ask full infront payment. That has some advantages and a disadvantage. Pros: – Client will exactly want to know what he’ll receive and you’ll certainly answer all his/her doubts before start (expected endresult usually will be cristal clear) – You can work without worries and usually get better result and may sometimes do extra sympathy and effort for customer – Not serious customers will be filtered right away, with customers on the verge of saying ‘gogo’ you can always step down to 50% downpayment. Con: – May scare off customers.
I try to avoid freelance but if requests come that’s how I handle them.

by
by
by
by
by
by