204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
srhnbr says

Hey everyone. Was wondering if any one of you charges for support requests and if so, what let you to that decision.

Curious if anyone will reply actually…

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Free :)

1878 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

Free. Although we don’t help with advanced customization requests. Maybe you could start asking premium for a that. Advanced customization requests are basically a small custom work so why not But my advice is to keep the basic theme support, installation help, usage help and small customization requests like “I want this to be red instead of green” for free imho.

If you want to venture into paid-support type business, then I suggest you to start a new account since there might not be a way back after some time. New account is best for such experiments. If you succeed, you can move the same philosophy to your big account. I am sure it could be done with profits, but it’s just something that no top author ever tried here as far as I know. So who knows. Fortune favors the brave

566 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

I provide free basic support (i.e. “where do I change XYZ ”, “why doesn’t XYZ work?”, etc.). Unless I know the answer off the top of my head, I charge my hourly rate for larger requests (i.e. “I want to add XYZ ”, “I want to move/change/replace XYZ ”, etc.)

66 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
ThemeSector says

Completely free support for all those awesome buyers.

However, 1/50 buyer is going to make you feel like you should have charged for any kind of small or big support requests. It makes me a sad panda. :(

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

I also do free support. If it’s and error, bug or plugin issue (caused by the theme) I help immediately. I do about the same for help with small changes, setup and configuration but I don’t do any customization.

Also, I don’t take freelance work if it’s for one of my own themes. I’ve found that people buying theme’s on TF are not the type of freelance clients I want (generalizing of course). I don’t much like freelance work to begin with so I try and only do bigger projects that I think are going to be fun. I’ve only done a couple in the last 12 months.

211 posts Devil Can't Burn
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Devilcantburn says

completely free… IF the request doesnt need more than 30 minutes to do… or i charge $20 like… depending the request…

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
srhnbr says

Thanks for replying guys!

Our support (theme set-up issues, bug reports etc) is also free and it will stay like that. But like Parallelus said we don’t do any custom requests.

Even so, I’ve been feeling a little too overwhelmed lately by the sheer amount of support that comes our way – and this mainly for issues that people could resolve for themselves if only they followed the documentation and help articles we provide.

We provide a lot of self-help troubleshooting articles from the most basic questions (“How do I create a WordPress post?”) to the very advanced ones. But still. It is as people don’t want to even bother!

It’s always easier I guess to send an email rather than research a little youself :|

oh well..

149 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
FamousThemes says

Hello, and nice threat srhnbr. I was curios also about how other authors handle this, so thank you too. I provide free support also.

I do have one question for some of you, quite related to this subject.

Do you think a support forum will reduce the amount of email received? For all of you who already have a support forum, this reduced the number of emails received? Or like srhnbr said “people don’t want to even bother” to read articles and stuff.

Thank you.

147 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
FlexiPress says
FamousThemes said
Hello, and nice threat srhnbr. I was curios also about how other authors handle this, so thank you too. I provide free support also.

I do have one question for some of you, quite related to this subject.

Do you think a support forum will reduce the amount of email received? For all of you who already have a support forum, this reduced the number of emails received? Or like srhnbr said “people don’t want to even bother” to read articles and stuff.

Thank you.

If your support forum has good search function, the answer is YES . Our support forum reduces received email & support questions at item discussion section for about 30-50%.

by
by
by
by
by
by