111 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
soundrepository says

Dear themeforest authors,

I have spent the last three days checking at least a hundred themes for a customer and I was shocked how many themes having IE8 compliance in their description actually looked like total crap on IE8 – I had cases that even completely crashed IE8.

May I kindly ask you to check your themes again and rethink if your theme really is IE8 compliant?! It was such an annoying procedure for me to walk through all those themes that were supposed to work on IE8 but actually didn’t.

Being a web developer myself I know that IE8 is a complete nightmare but now as IE8 compliance isn’t compulsory any more on themeforest – please do check your themes and adjust your descriptions.

thanks a lot in advance

Marco

248 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

+1

I’ve experienced this same problem many times in the past too.

7370 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

looks like ie8 support is optional

http://notes.envato.com/news/ie8-compliance-is-now-optional/

so if the theme doesn’t support that browser version should update the item options and exclude ie8.

90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
Net-Labs says

Agree on this one, you can’t forbid one to drive on the road just because he drives a crappy car.

even though IE8 is optional, I know of so many companies that still work on ie8 as standard in the office.

1341 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

The question is, why do you even check themes on IE8?

It’s your duty to tell your client, with IE8 support, comes great performance drawbacks and compatibility issues.

IE8: less than %7: http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201212-201312

111 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
soundrepository says

It’s your duty to tell your client, with IE8 support, comes great performance drawbacks and compatibility issues.

IE8: less than %7: http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version_partially_combined-ww-monthly-201212-201312

You are absolutely right. But that’s a completely different story. My point is: about 80-90% of the themes (I mainly checked HTML templates) offered here that are marked here as being IE8 compliant are not. The info in the description they are compatible when they are actually not is misleading, extremely annoying for customer and simply wrong. Being a customer myself in this marketplace, too, I have made the experience during the last few days that I actually wasted at least two whole evenings checking themes if they are really IE8 compatible.

I’m graphicsriver and audiojungle author, too. It’s the same as if I wrote that a graphics file I’m offering there is compatible with Photoshop CS3 although it’s actually not and only fine with CS6 or if I give in the description of an audio file that it’s seamlessly looping although it’s not.

So please understand my problem in the role of a themeforest customer here.

thanks Marco

141 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
juarathemes says

Guys, you need read the TS’s post more careful.

He meant that there is a lot themes which claims those themes are compatible with IE8, But the fact is NOT.

I do leave IE8, and I didn’t mark my theme IE8 Compatible.

248 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

It isn’t as simple as that – when lots of high profile clients (e.g. government bodies) use older versions of Windows OS and hardware, you cannot just de-support them (as much as you’d want to) and you cannot influence the version of web browser they use, no matter how strong the argument.

And besides, his point was that some themes claim to support IE8, but actually don’t – it’s misleading to buyers.

Dan

1451 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Anps says

Why not? you give them a dead line… update your browsers till then, or else… in that case system administrator should push the new updates to them, and applications should follow the trends customers demand that from us, when wp updates we all basically are forced to update it and have to face treats of lover ratings bad comments etc.

Technology evolves we have to follow and the big government body’s should be first on the battle lines! Well that just my humble opinion :)

by
by
by
by
by
by