630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

Authors, please say if your PSD ’s are NOT sliced, that way I know to avoid them. Editing images, etc on a template is easy enough but when it comes to having to slice up buttons etc it just wastes my time because by the time I’ve sliced it to the original image’s dimensions I could have redrawn it myself.

If you find this a criticism then please take it how it’s meant..constructively.

4 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
herrbutzie says

I totally agree with. Tell us if they have slices or not.

You export them with slices when you design the themes so why not leave the slices in the PSD . file

738 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Question related to the topic at hand:

Do you think it would be alright to say “PSD Included” if you have all of the spliced images but just don’t have the actual, complete PSD ? If I’m designing through the browser without doing the initial conceptualization steps it would mean I’d have to put together the PSD afterwards.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I personally don’t slice (not traditionally anyways) – I DO however create quick edit templates (layered PSD ) for every possible thing you would want to change (slider images – buttons – if not css ones – etc etc) therefore no need to open the entire PSD unless you are going to completely change the template or theme – in which case you would probably want to re-splice using your own method.

You may ask why I do not slice everything – well it’s because I may design in photoshop but a lot of it is then recreated in pure css – colors, backgrounds, buttons, fonts, headings etc etc – the number of images I use are as limited as can be – and therefore I just organize all my layers in to groups, label clearly and organize properly.

I have the same thoughts about splicing as I do using grid systems – it doesn’t speed things up for me at all – in fact it slows things down considerably – I prefer to code my own css by hand – design in photoshop (I don’t need a grid to tell me how to space things and use predefined columns – too restrictive for my liking) – style what I can in css (without all the confusing naming systems from grid frameworks and excess code) – code by hand the html and then provide the quick edit files which, from buyer feedback, has proved a lot more appreciated than a multi layers photoshop file with every page crammed together in one mess of a file – all my pages are separate PSD – layered, grouped, organized – want to change the color of something specific – then just open my provided quick edit file – change and export – it’s the correct size to replace the default – nice and easy.

So, the reason for my reply was that it’s not necessary to have a spliced PSD at all – just as long as there is an alternative way – quick edit files – and as much as possible in css.

1028 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
ThemeBlvd says
I personally don’t slice (not traditionally anyways) – I DO however create quick edit templates (layered PSD ) for every possible thing you would want to change (slider images – buttons – if not css ones – etc etc) therefore no need to open the entire PSD unless you are going to completely change the template or theme – in which case you would probably want to re-splice using your own method.

You may ask why I do not slice everything – well it’s because I may design in photoshop but a lot of it is then recreated in pure css – colors, backgrounds, buttons, fonts, headings etc etc – the number of images I use are as limited as can be – and therefore I just organize all my layers in to groups, label clearly and organize properly.

I have the same thoughts about splicing as I do using grid systems – it doesn’t speed things up for me at all – in fact it slows things down considerably – I prefer to code my own css by hand – design in photoshop (I don’t need a grid to tell me how to space things and use predefined columns – too restrictive for my liking) – style what I can in css (without all the confusing naming systems from grid frameworks and excess code) – code by hand the html and then provide the quick edit files which, from buyer feedback, has proved a lot more appreciated than a multi layers photoshop file with every page crammed together in one mess of a file – all my pages are separate PSD – layered, grouped, organized – want to change the color of something specific – then just open my provided quick edit file – change and export – it’s the correct size to replace the default – nice and easy.

So, the reason for my reply was that it’s not necessary to have a spliced PSD at all – just as long as there is an alternative way – quick edit files – and as much as possible in css.

In short, I agree with jonathan01. I don’t use photoshop slicing either. And an interesting little tidbit… according to a PSD to Wordpress screencast by the infamous Jeffrey Way, neither does he. :-)

@jar All of the source images wouldn’t be a PSD file. However, some authors do include little chunks of the design in psd files, opposed to the whole thing. For example, you could have a PSD file that’s the logo, one for the main menu, one for the slider, etc.

738 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

That’s what I’m talking about themeblvd, each of the normal images would have a PSD & fireworks PNG counterpart.

206 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
mlando says
In short, I agree with jonathan01. I don’t use photoshop slicing either. And an interesting little tidbit… according to a PSD to Wordpress screencast by the infamous Jeffrey Way, neither does he. :-) @jar All of the source images wouldn’t be a PSD file. However, some authors do include little chunks of the design in psd files, opposed to the whole thing. For example, you could have a PSD file that’s the logo, one for the main menu, one for the slider, etc.

+1 on this

How much would you like for $20 – 30. Authors try to account for many scenarios in the code to make life easier for buyers. Theme option pages, multiple color schemes, options so you don’t have to edit code, detailed instructions, support… on and on. Also With many colors and page templates this is a lot of stuff to include free with a template… Many authors do include these but IMO they should be for SALE as PSD templates for additional $ instead. I include essential layered psds and layer mock-up. but typically not sliced as I created in css more times than not.

Usually.. if you can use photoshop replacing graphic should not be a problem sliced or not.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

And exactly my point and the same with my files – you DO get the fully layered page designs but ALSO the individual components also to make things silly easy.

554 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+12 more
theMOLITOR says

Slicing is old school. There are FAR more efficient ways to do it.

266 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
DigitalHenry says

People still slice? That seems very tedious and time consuming.

by
by
by
by
by
by