• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

Some interesting results and facts, always nice to see how other authors are handling things. Thanks for putting this together Ruben!

1332 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

Most authors are dealing with support questions regarding theme installation & setup. There should be a knowledge base for dealing with premium theme installation and bundled plugins.

I get a support request for Revolution Slider activation every day, even though buyers don’t get plugin licenses.

3507 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I get a support request for Revolution Slider activation every day, even though buyers don’t get plugin licenses.

I got soft rejected for this reason on my latest item :)

Modify the core plugin to get rid of these requests. Open /views/templates/sliders.php and inside it you’ll find the blocks related to prior & after activation (there are two). Remove them and bye-bye requests.

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Most authors are dealing with support questions regarding theme installation & setup.

The part regarding installation could be solved with something like http://www.wp101.com/, but made by and for Envato. However, i include stuff like this in my docs and i still get requests on how to setup the front page for example. But it’s easier to just tell the client to read the manual carefully then to write the same thing over and over again.

The part regarding theme setup … i’m afraid that every author has it’s own techniques. One may use widgets, the other may use shortcodes, one may use the xml importer, one may have one click importers, etc.. When going into specifics, each theme is unique unfortunately.

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says

AND :)

As a conclusion and tip for all authors, as you see in the infographic and below, the support quantity varies a lot. So if your sales/ticket ratio is around the average (2/1), this would be a good time to either revise your documentation or support terms.

If this guy really didn’t lie in the survey and his buyers are happy people, then i love him! :D

80 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Site Manager
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
EricSchwartz Staff says

Really neat survey Ruben!

Regarding your observation: “Time spent on support tends to increase proportionally with the number of sales”, I find it quite intriguing to also consider the potential flip-side of that: “The number of sales increases proportionally with the quality of support”. I wonder how much this holds true, and which is really more the cause versus the effect :)

I also think as a follow up it could be interesting to consider how the number of tickets/time on support may relate to the level and type of documentation/help included (e.g. static PDF document vs. HTML documentation, providing video tutorials, etc.)

Nicely done!

44 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
themepunch says

I got soft rejected for this reason on my latest item :)

Modify the core plugin to get rid of these requests. Open /views/templates/sliders.php and inside it you’ll find the blocks related to prior & after activation (there are two). Remove them and bye-bye requests.

Hi! Don’t want to push this thread off topic buuuuut:

@Ruben We just contacted Envato why this happens while it is ok for other plugins do put out similar messages, sometimes even more aggressive.

Our current text is: “Hi! Would you like to activate your version of Revolution Slider to recieve automatic updates & get premium support? This is optional and not needed if the slider came bundled with a theme. (never show this message again)”

I do not think that this can mislead a customer, or what do you guys think?

@fuelthemes We have dozens of comments and tickets daily for Sliders bundled with themes (meaning no direct customers of ours) and we solve them anyway.

Cheers!

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says

@themepunch I agree with you. I just shared my experience. The reviewer told me to remove that message from the bundled plugin, so i did :)

44 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
themepunch says

@Ruben, @fuelthemes we just discussed the issue with Envato, and with minimal changes we meet now the requirements of Envato. Up version 4.3.3 no more Soft rejects, and also Activation is only visible if Customer wants so.

btw. we love the survey Ruben ! Thanks for taking the time for it !

1332 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

@Ruben, @fuelthemes we just discussed the issue with Envato, and with minimal changes we meet now the requirements of Envato. Up version 4.3.3 no more Soft rejects, and also Activation is only visible if Customer wants so. btw. we love the survey Ruben ! Thanks for taking the time for it !

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t blaming you guys for anything :) It’s just that customers do not know what they are buying and need to learn more about how bundled plugins work.

Thanks for the RS update.

by
by
by
by
by
by