• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

Across the board on my items I’m getting about 9-10% of buyers rating. I know it’s just a number, but I feel a good rating is one of the key reputation builders on the marketplace (second to comment replies).

As authors, what have you tried to up the percentage of buyers who rate your items, and has it worked?

So far I’ve started a auto-responder to my newsletter subscribers, asking to rate us on ThemeForest couple of days after they sign up. It’s leading a 80% open rate and 50% click. which isn’t terrible.

Oh and it’d be so awesome if buyers could rate the item on it’s product page, once they’ve purchased it – instead of only in the downloads section.

Cheers, Rich

248 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
meks says

Good question. We have been thinking about this a lot. We haven’t made analysis yet, we are just doing our job the best we can.

I guess the best thing authors can do is to “earn” a rating by giving great support to the users. We have got some 5-star ratings by simply remembering a user that he can rate and providing a link to downloads/rating page in the email after quick and successfully resolved issue. From our experiance so far, around 50% users really rated it.

Perhaps you should ask for a rating when it’s comfortable for a user to do this. So I think “spamming” and frequent newsletter is not a good idea at all. At the first place it is two bladed sword because it may be possible to force some unsatisfied user to give you bad rating. On the second, it will really bother all the users that have already rated the theme.

Maybe the best thing is to ask for a rate when there is a cool theme update with new features. You can do it in a newsletter, somewhere in your theme options, documentation, theme update notification screen, etc… Basically, somewhere when user looks frequently.

Anyway, we think that rating is valuable only until some point, because obviously, top seller themes have a lot of bad ratings and if you can manage to get more sales you will probably get more and more bad ratings after some selling point because of competitors.

And, two things we hate the most which are obviously possible:

- Competitors buy our themes to give bad rating
- Authors buy their own themes with different profile and rate it 5-stars

Keep up the good work ThemeBeans!

420 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

I’m not spamming customer’s with email/newsletters asking for a rating. It’s more of a feedback/rating request on how we’re doing as a team/product in general – and a thank you response.

Sadly I don’t think there’s enough value in theme feature updates, unless a theme makes it into the Popular list, which is really the only guaranteed way (on TF) to keep your product in view. Then it’ll get enough sales pretty quickly to warrant periodic feature updates, which in turn will spur more sales. I think small improvements are ok, but new features are kinda iffy, unless there’s a decent ROI.

Oh yes, those are the worst (Competitor/Author ratings).

:)

315 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
pixelgrade says

We basically rely on support to get good ratings and avoid the bad ones :)

959 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

Honestly, I find there are three kinds of ratings;

1. You helped me out on my support question, here’s a reward for that (these guys are awesome)

2. I’ll just rate anywhere between 1 & 5 stars randomly with no contact (Again, awesome, but definitely more of a wildcard)

3. Downvote brigade!

Now I only mention that for buyer type 1 to be honest, I think you can get a good rating much faster, with an item that buyers need a little help with, sounds crazy doesn’t it, but here’s my logic;

Other, my new HTML template, over 100 sales now, still no rating, and only had about 2 support questions for it, low support low ratings.

Kyte, a recent WordPress theme is a single pager, so I expected a little more support needs than a usual multi-pager, 16 sales in 3 ratings, 5 stars.

That’s just my little theory anyway :)

454 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
Gareth_Gillman says

might not work but for WP themes, add a “warning bar” (if that’s the right word) which asks for a review.

Have it appear once they have installed the theme and then if they close it, it disappears for good.

I would hazard a guess most buyers won’t need support and won’t go back to the item page, so will need reminding about reviews.

Could themeforest help with this as well, when they send out the purchase email, add a reminder to rate the item?

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

might not work but for WP themes, add a “warning bar” (if that’s the right word) which asks for a review.

I’ve thought about this too.

1402 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

You have to be careful with such approach though, some buyers might not like that.

Let me explain, we all know there are buyers who act as a middleman, buying template and selling it for more as a website. I doubt they would appreciate if such notice would jump out, leading end-user to ThemeForest.

On the side that they should be honest with their clients, if you will use such tactic, it would have to be used at the very installation of the theme.

At that time, buyer might not know what the appropriate rating should be, as he just installed the theme, so you would have to present that rating so that it’s not too distracting. That way buyer in this potential scenario can finish up setting the theme for his client, and after he is (un)satisfied with the result, he would maybe rate the teme and dismiss the notice.

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

You have to be careful with such approach though, some buyers might not like that.

Let me explain, we all know there are buyers who act as a middleman, buying template and selling it for more as a website. I doubt they would appreciate if such notice would jump out, leading end-user to ThemeForest.

On the side that they should be honest with their clients, if you will use such tactic, it would have to be used at the very installation of the theme.

At that time, buyer might not know what the appropriate rating should be, as he just installed the theme, so you would have to present that rating so that it’s not too distracting. That way buyer in this potential scenario can finish up setting the theme for his client, and after he is (un)satisfied with the result, he would maybe rate the theme and dismiss the notice.

Ha, I would argue that ratings hardly occur if there’s no problems, after the first week at most. Out of the products you have purchased, have you ever gone back and rated an item you bought “back then” – even if you’re still using it? I already use a sort of notification (pointing to the recommended plugins) and I definitely would not have a notification message pop out later on. That’s the #1 most annoying thing about the majority of plugins nowadays. There’s a million pieces built in to get you to buy the premium package, follow via Twitter, share on FB, etc.

Being modest, appropriate & tactful is the way to go.

1402 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Well I rate all of my purchases 5 stars as soon as I make a purchase, and if needed I can come back and redo it, if something is wrong (never had to).

I’m not sure when buyers rate, only Envato can know that. I do know that some buyers rate after they’ve received great support.

But I would guess that most of them forget to rate, so maybe occasional reminder from Envato could do some good.

by
by
by
by
by
by