632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

I disagree this is an issue – you can’t encode javascript or css/html anyway (since it’s client side), so it doesn’t matter if somebody posts a link to an un minified version.

3749 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

I disagree this is an issue – you can’t encode javascript or css/html anyway (since it’s client side), so it doesn’t matter if somebody posts a link to an un minified version.

Try to customize a ripped template which its JS and CSS (even html) has been (properly) minified, obfuscated and “prepared” to avoid rippers. Let us know if it’s easy to work with.

Then get the same file properly commented by author, with all variables names on its place, all CSS entries clear and understandable.

This last thing is what any user can get from user URLs on file comments.

Can’t believe we are still defending this issue, even between own authors. Really. :(

509 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

How?
This is example comment [private url obscured] to point how a link can be hidden while managing keep it legible similar to most professional sites doing already.

Thanks, that’s what I guessed authors were looking for, and this thread has been great for me to understand the problems we need to solve. Did you imagine we’d do this by default on all comments, or as an alternative to flagging (author clicks a button to obscure URLs on a per-comment basis)?

509 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Don’t hinder the customer experience because of it.

Great point — I’ve been wondering what customer experiences we would be hindering. What are some specific downsides? What are some examples of legitimate URLs in comments we would be blocking? What are some specific negative experience we’d be trading-off against?

3095 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Some positives for buyers in hiding urls: don’t want others to see work in progress site, don’t want others to see project their working on, google search on clients website won’t reveal item used

Some negatives for buyers in hiding urls: “hey support, wtf does this ‘hide url’ option mean?”, if they just want to show off their project or how they used the template this won’t be possible if url hiding is forced. although buyers could (and should) collate all show-off links into a “see how this looks” section in item description pages (to help with sales).

Some positives for sellers in hiding urls: items that don’t have rippable live previews (eg: codecanyon js items) or other items whereby a non-watermarked version of the file could be made available.

Some negatives for sellers in hiding urls: ?, maybe have to login to read comments? url’s wont show in rss feeds, etc..

Advantages of hiding entire post content: can provide WP login details, full private support, even quoting prices on custom mods without any information leaking to the public.

Disadvantages of hiding entire post content: other potential buyers might not be able to see possible issues with the item?

good luck!

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CodingJack says

Don’t hinder the customer experience because of it.

Great point — I’ve been wondering what customer experiences we would be hindering. What are some specific downsides? What are some examples of legitimate URLs in comments we would be blocking? What are some specific negative experience we’d be trading-off against?

There’s no trade off in my opinion.

I don’t see how a change would effect authors in a negative way at all. So the advocating against it is kind of confusing to me.

+9 more
CodingJack says

Thanks, that’s what I guessed authors were looking for, and this thread has been great for me to understand the problems we need to solve. Did you imagine we’d do this by default on all comments, or as an alternative to flagging (author clicks a button to obscure URLs on a per-comment basis)?

I’d be satisfied with a manual system, but that’s because I’m a medium-sized author and don’t have an offsite support forum. Authors with offsite support forums may not frequent comments as often and would probably prefer an automatic system.

+9 more
CodingJack says

Try to customize a ripped template which its JS and CSS (even html) has been (properly) minified, obfuscated and “prepared” to avoid rippers. Let us know if it’s easy to work with.

Then get the same file properly commented by author, with all variables names on its place, all CSS entries clear and understandable.

This last thing is what any user can get from user URLs on file comments.

Can’t believe we are still defending this issue, even between own authors. Really. :(

+1

We aren’t trying to prevent highly experienced coders who understand obfuscation from stealing our code. We’re trying to prevent the process of simply giving away an unobfuscated version to the average buyer.

367 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
PixelStores says

Can i suggest making an option for the comment posters to show/hide any links in their comment on the comment form for the author. Buyers may be providing some useful resource relating to the item purchased that they want to share to other customers.

What i have been noticing with some items, users are relating a feature from another theme and posting the item url in the comments, which potentially may affect sales.

Regards

+9 more
CodingJack says

What i have been noticing with some items, users are relating a feature from another theme and posting the item url in the comments, which potentially may affect sales.

Personally I don’t want competitive links in my comments either. If I was lucky enough for someone to find my file, I don’t exactly want to send them somewhere else.

P.S. Just want to say I respect everyone’s opinion. This is just one of those issues that’s worth debating in my opinion :)

by
by
by
by
by
by