21 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BrutalDesign says

@DistinctiveThemes would you be interested in working on my support forum? Feel free to send me an email if you want to talk about it.

499 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

To find good support staff isn’t easy at all, that’s something we’re struggling with on a regular basis because the amount of support posts in our forum keep increasing:

We tried posting here in forum, in free wp related job boards and lately we even bought paid job ads on stackoverflow and authenticjobs. We were lucky the first time (when posting here) and got a very talented young dev which is now part of of our team but, besides that, we tried a lot of people without success.

Currently we have 1 fulltime, 1 parttime and testing other 2 for parttime position but still searching for new candidates.

When we have a position open, we include in the submission form a mandatory WordPress test which needs to be completed to consider the candidate, after that we pick one or two of the most promising submissions and offer them a paid 2 weeks trial.

After the trial is over, we decide what to do.

1469 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Hey Pixelentity,

Just out of interest, the graph above, is that the amount of activity on your forums by month, or amount of new posts by month? :)

I work entirely by myself so it would be great to get an idea of the amount of support people are having to cope with.

Cheers!

1497 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
OriginalEXE says

It’s a number of posts per month Tom.

Note: That includes staff posts too.

499 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+8 more
pixelentity says

Just out of interest, the graph above, is that the amount of activity on your forums by month, or amount of new posts by month? :)
yep, new posts.

without dedicated staff we won’t have time to do anything else but support whole day and, even with 4 people working on it, our queue sometimes gets above 100 which is insane.

My suggestion would be to start looking for somebody as soon as possible because it takes time to find the right person and supports request can double or triple in just a couple of months.
1469 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

our queue sometimes gets above 100 which is insane.

Woah yeah, that’s massive! Thanks for the insights, really appreciated :)

906 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Marvidude says

Here is one idea for people that are serious about support and want to do that.

1. Make serious company that will only do support for ThemeForest authors

2. Be serious and responsible about it

3. Make a lot of money :)

If only people want to listen :)

I am actually working since a few months on the exact same thing ie hiring a few guys locally and setting up a centralized Office to offer Support Services to Elite Authors. If anyone is interested or would like to offer some advise or tips you can get in touch via my profile.

Have been working for more then a year now as a Support Staff for Couple of Elite Authors providing support for both WP Themes and Jquery / WP Plugins (hint: Revolution Slider) working closely with them.

Having worked as the only Support Staff for one Elite Author and working with a Team of Remote Staff with different time zones for another i have witnesses both scenarios and my conclusion is that a Centralized Team would work best if the number of queries are really high and would be much more reliable in scenarios where your Full time Support Staff falls seriously ill or gets into a situation where he can not answer the tickets at all and you end up with piles of tickets and unanswered forum threads.

I myself tend to go into Full-time Development and would likely hire a Local Team for Support and have them work under my supervision in the same office .

Would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions and experiences.

-Tahir

by
by
by
by
by
by