42 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
indiapart says

Hey guys,

some time ago, when Google used plain html output for their Webfonts directory, I used to crawl all the webfonts with regex and give users ability to select automatically all the recent Webfonts without the need of updating the theme files themselfes. Now, when Google changed to AJAX output, I cannot do this anymore. I wonder, if someone else ran into this and maybe got a solution, which can easily be implemented in Themes? I’m thinking about creating a manually updated text file on my own server and read this one from the themes. But there are two negative aspects about this:

1. The more themes I sell, the more my server is going to encounter performance issues (this hypothetical, not practical. Still…). 2. I would have to update the text file myself handy when Google releases new fonts. Pretty lame, too…

Any thoughts about this? As I’m probably going to use this solution, but I think I will integrate only some nice fonts and do not update…

Best regards, indiapart.

2063 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

1) If you’re selling THAT MUCH , it’s no big deal for you to buy a better server. 2) Why don’t you just have an “UPDATE FONTS ” button in the admin panel?

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

Seems to be a common request: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/google-font/47669

I still have a pretty good system for doing this to update my plugin every couple weeks.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

I did a lot of research on this before, and ended up just making it so I link the user to the Google font directory. Then they browse, find a font, copy the name of the font into their WP admin panel option, and there’s a little preview button next to the option they can click and have a little ajax call to the font directory to render a preview so they can verify they’ve entered a valid font name.

This is not as ideal as obviously a drop down of all the fonts they can choose, but I think it’s going to save a lot of hassle. This is a new feature I’ve implemented but haven’t posted with any themes yet, so we’ll have to see how it works out. Just thought I’d share with you.

274 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Anjum says
ThemeBlvd said
I did a lot of research on this before, and ended up just making it so I link the user to the Google font directory. Then they browse, find a font, copy the name of the font into their WP admin panel option, and there’s a little preview button next to the option they can click and have a little ajax call to the font directory to render a preview so they can verify they’ve entered a valid font name. This is not as ideal as obviously a drop down of all the fonts they can choose, but I think it’s going to save a lot of hassle. This is a new feature I’ve implemented but haven’t posted with any themes yet, so we’ll have to see how it works out. Just thought I’d share with you.

Really cool idea

42 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
indiapart says
LandonWilson said
1) If you’re selling THAT MUCH , it’s no big deal for you to buy a better server. 2) Why don’t you just have an “UPDATE FONTS ” button in the admin panel?

Hi, You didn’t understand anything.

Anjum said
ThemeBlvd said
I did a lot of research on this before, and ended up just making it so I link the user to the Google font directory. Then they browse, find a font, copy the name of the font into their WP admin panel option, and there’s a little preview button next to the option they can click and have a little ajax call to the font directory to render a preview so they can verify they’ve entered a valid font name. This is not as ideal as obviously a drop down of all the fonts they can choose, but I think it’s going to save a lot of hassle. This is a new feature I’ve implemented but haven’t posted with any themes yet, so we’ll have to see how it works out. Just thought I’d share with you.
Really cool idea

+1. Am I allowed to adapt this idea and try out? ;)

Best regards.

1799 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

Here is a list of the Google Fonts:

https://googlefontdirectory.googlecode.com/hg/
2063 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says
indiapart said
LandonWilson said

Yes I did. You were complaining about the mass server load, so all you need to do is update a file with the fonts and when they click update fonts it will download said text file to their server.

Alternatively, wp_cron.

42 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
indiapart says
LandonWilson said
indiapart said
LandonWilson said

Yes I did. You were complaining about the mass server load, so all you need to do is update a file with the fonts and when they click update fonts it will download said text file to their server.

Alternatively, wp_cron.

Ah, okay, I see. Then, Your solution about the update button is still about the first point – I thought You meant You (the buyer) press “Update Fonts” and they magically appear, as You posted this for the second point. Also, regarding point no. 1 I explicitly said “hypothetical, not practical”. So this was not to tell everyone how “MUCH” I sell but it was a thought to prevent future issues, and not just the ones right now.

BroOf said
Here is a list of the Google Fonts: https://googlefontdirectory.googlecode.com/hg/

THIS – IS – GREAT !! Why just didn’t tell me anyone about this? If this stays forever, I’m absolutely happy =) Thx ;)

Best regards, indiapart.

1799 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

No problem ;)

by
by
by