43 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
CobaltLeaf says

True, you can really make bank as a freelancer… but you need guts and skills… tons of both of ‘em. Waiting/lobbying for a comission is tough work and is often thankless. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, yeah it feels great when something comes your way but up until then you always ask yourself “shouldn’t I just get a 9-5 and not go through this hell?”

I raise my glass to all freelancers/self-employed people… we are the direct descendants to the knights for hire of old (hence the term “free-lance” a lance that is for hire)!!

882 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
joiaco says

i’ve been freelancing as an ‘all round’ artist since 1986 after several years working in an ad agency and still struggle to get work here in South Africa. It’s really tough to keep going (and sleeping) when the commissions dry up, but that stress forces you to think outside the box and expand your skills. In my opinion, freelancing is only for the single-minded and passionate artists.

213 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
themelux says

i’ve been freelancing as an ‘all round’ artist since 1986 after several years working in an ad agency and still struggle to get work here in South Africa. It’s really tough to keep going (and sleeping) when the commissions dry up, but that stress forces you to think outside the box and expand your skills. In my opinion, freelancing is only for the single-minded and passionate artists.

As you probably know though, Freelancing can really make you a lot of money (If you manage your money right). The good thing about it is if you find the right market you can charge a good amount for your work. Just don’t blow it like most people do… Manage it to where if you don’t get a client in a month you have money to fall back on! :)

1236 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

True, you can really make bank as a freelancer… but you need guts and skills… tons of both of ‘em. Waiting/lobbying for a comission is tough work and is often thankless. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, yeah it feels great when something comes your way but up until then you always ask yourself “shouldn’t I just get a 9-5 and not go through this hell?” I raise my glass to all freelancers/self-employed people… we are the direct descendants to the knights for hire of old (hence the term “free-lance” a lance that is for hire)!!

great post – and thx for that history of freelance, didn’t know that. good one

537 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

The most comprehensive data on the web industry is probably the ALA Survey, which is conducted every year: http://aneventapart.com/alasurvey2011/00.html

by
by
by
by
by
by