34 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
SonnyCooL says

SonnyCooL,

This is what worries me.

We’re a fairly small web design studio and have a handful of themes we’re developing and are considering whether ThemeForest is the right route for us to sell or not.

Plenty of reasons for (market penetrations = potential quick bucks) and against (brand dilution, inconsistent user experience).

So thanks SonnyCooL for your honest review of your experiences ill add it to the ‘against’ pile for now.

I just need to work out what is important to me…

agree author can cut communication or take any action to bad client or unreasonable request or bad behavior, but get to the root, don’t insult you client in public forum not again and again …. they have their forum rules, buyer also have their own dignity, we pay for theme, service, we ain’t pay for insult, that is where i stand ….. :)

34 posts
  • Located in Australia
SonnyCooL says

Hey

Sorry for your troubles mate, honestly a lot of people that buy files do not do good enough research before they buy. So the number one thing buyers should do is research before they buy.

Also if the author is not getting back to you or talking to you with no respect then you have the choice to not buy from them. There are many talented people here. Personally i have never had any problems with either being a buyer or being an author. I always help out my customers to the best of my ability because i want them to come back the next time they are planing to purchase items. I also like to help to make their time more enjoyable and faster with my files when they work on them.

As far as i know support in not mandatory but authors can offer it. As i said man there are lots of fish in the see so don’t get hooked on the first one. Cheers

Lester

research ? what type research you means ? asking in the comment field ? check feed back ? rating ? there is a something called Gimmick that we can’t prevent . . . . on average with 300-500 monthly expenses on theme and WordPress related product for last couple year, i think i can call my self as experience buyer but really hard to get a good author/coder now day …... sad but is true for open market ….

164 posts
  • Located in Europe
Cara_design says

With all due respect you have bought less than 10 items since joining (only in Feb this year) so 300-500 monthly spend over the last couple of years, is not happening on here, so it seems a little unfair to tarnish the majority on here as a result of the behavior of a few

34 posts
  • Located in Australia
SonnyCooL says

With all due respect you have bought less than 10 items since joining (only in Feb this year) so 300-500 monthly spend over the last couple of years, is not happening on here, so it seems a little unfair to tarnish the majority on here as a result of the behavior of a few

So u means i need to get con more to voice out ? no i don’t think that way ….. if my purchase effect my quality of speech, than you shouldn’t voice out at all, cause we can tell you don’t even purchase ….. or you hidden behind some ID ? which we don’t know … money spend is not equal to consumer right, what i mention above is purchase experience in world wide web …. By the way i see different and world wide web is huge, that 300-500 purchase doesn’t means anything at all other than purchase experience to show i know what i buying …. hopefully what i said clear your doubt ….

428 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Jaynesh says

This might be slightly off topic but the statement “support is not mandatory” is not true.

If a theme is advertising that support is included anywhere in the item page or profile then they are obliged to provide support as it is now a feature that comes with the theme.

It’s the same as an author advertising a theme as WooCommerce compatible but it being not compatible at all.

So people stop using “support is not mandatory” because it’s not true :D

5905 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

This might be slightly off topic but the statement “support is not mandatory” is not true.

If a theme is advertising that support is included anywhere in the item page or profile then they are obliged to provide support as it is now a feature that comes with the theme.

It’s the same as an author advertising a theme as WooCommerce compatible but it being not compatible at all.

So people stop using “support is not mandatory” because it’s not true :D

+1. Authors indicating about support possibility are ethically bound to go certain level of support. If it feels as an unnecessary commitment, the item description should speak nothing about support.

However, Envato going to add a new tab titled “Support” in the near future. Not sure if that will be automatically taken by buyers as “committed for support” or the Support tab will allow authors to say “Support is not mandatory”. Both are illogical and bad days are still to come for authors.

7311 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

no. the rules are that the item (theme) need to function as advertised.

667 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Well, IMO, if author advertises support – than he MUST provide it. Otherwise it is false advertisement. The other thing is that author must be mad to offer free support without posting “extent of support” agreement :D

34 posts
  • Located in Australia
SonnyCooL says

with out support, that nearly impossible the theme with like demo or sales script …. even with full xml import, that still no way …. worst, every new update, that might crash certain part of the theme, without update, it won’t work with latest wordPress, with update that is a need for support …...

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
fireinthebelly says

Are you for real? Impossible!? You say your are web designer but can’t make a theme look like the demo… Even with the xml file, still no way.. I am speechless.

New updates crash parts of the theme, what are you taking about?

with out support, that nearly impossible the theme with like demo or sales script …. even with full xml import, that still no way …. worst, every new update, that might crash certain part of the theme, without update, it won’t work with latest wordPress, with update that is a need for support …...
by
by
by
by
by
by